What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Next Generation Seeds Avalon

TorontoMo

Hey folks, here is a grow report for next generation seeds avalon. I got these seeds about three years ago and have been surfing the net for a while trying to find a grow report for avalon and have found very little information. I decided to post my own grow report so other people can use it as reference.

Out of ten seeds this is the only keeper. The other seeds were either male, mutant, grew poorly, or didn't sprout. So far this plant is worth the other nine duds.

Here is the mother plant:

Avalon grows with minimal branching giving one main spearlike cola. During veg this plant has a very citrusy smell when rubbed and VERY skunky odour overall. An ozone generator is doing the job so far.

The mother plant was vegged for one and a half months and then clones were taken. The clones were rooted using regular water cloning. Just dip the cuttings into a cup or shot glass with water and make sure it doesn't dry out. After about 8-9 days roots show and you are ok to plant:

The key to water cloning is low light (light seems to kill/slow down newly forming roots:
Here are clones after about nine days, notice the half inch roots. THey are safe for transplanting at this stage but i let them go till the root has side roots (branching). I find plants lag less after transplanting when they have at least two inch long roots:

After transplanting the clones were vegged for about two weeks and then were put on 12/12. I don't have any pictures for the first two weeks flowering but here is a pic at day 18:

Here is day 20:

I've had to apply ferts at 1/4 strength to correct slight nitrogen deficiencies. The yellowing dissapears soon after fert application.

They are being grown in regular potting soil (4/5) and organic black earth (1/5) with about a cup full of dolomite lime- this step is key since i grow in a pretty hot grow room. Nutes are pro blend veg, big bud, organa add, and earth juice microblast- all added at 1/4 strength where appropriate.

ANy comments advice or suggestions are welcome!!! I would especially like to know what this plants' smoke is like. I haven't found that info online.

It'll be a long three weeks till harvest and i'm out of money and bud!! Son of a ....

JACKBAYBEH

Looks nice! I've got some Next Gen I.S.S and I.S.S. x Rom. Makes quality product for sure. Next Gen crew are nice peeps too. Good growing bro!

TorontoMo

Thanks for the kind words guys. I grew Big Bang from NGS about 1.5 years ago and it was a very nice, potent, easy to clone varietal. I really couldn't care less that you get one good mom per ten seeds. I attribute the four or so no sprouts to old seeds. I didn't store them correctly.

Jackbabybeh, how is the ISS for smell in veg and in flower? I grow in an apartment so I really have to watch out for smell. I already have the O3 generator at 2/5 setting and the colas aren't even formed fully yet with minimal crystals. I worry it'll be too much and I'll stink the whole place up. I guess I can always say I got a pet skunk....

JACKBAYBEH

MO, I think you'd be fine until about half way through flower. No real skunk aroma to mine more of a sweet dank fruitiness with a hint of spice. Strong enough toward the end to become real noticeable in an apartment though, I would think. I would be noid.

TorontoMo

day 28

day 28

hey folks i couldn't keep my hands off the one plant i flowered earlier than the other clones:
Before

After

Its easy to sacrifice a plant when you go perpetual. THesmoke was powerful even at day 22 when i took the first nug. At day 26 the bud was fully formed. Even the popcorn buds are full and plump:
(From the base of the above "after" plant)

True buds on a stick.

Here is a clone at day 26:

This plant has been a pleasure to grow. I have one observation though. SOme clones are deep green and others are lime green. I've added what i think is enough nitrogen ferts to all and i don't understand the change in color. They come from the same mom. Ah well, the buds are forming beautifully.

I read somewhere that yields for avalon were not good. So far the buds look full barely half way through flowering. The calyx to leaf ratio is high. Looks like reasonably dense bud to me. I'll have to wait till harvest to find out.

Cheers.

nobull56

ICMag Donor
Grew one clone outdoors (2008) 3/4 pound high qual bud. The longer it cures the more foral it smells!

TorontoMo

nobull56, how is the smoke when cured? The smell sounds about right. The resin smells floral. Does outdoors bud develop rot? How resistance was your plant?

G12, what are you a moron. Of course I haven't tried the dynamite <pokes both G12's eyes). Wise guy eh?

H

highsteppa

Tis one is a neat strain, VERY vigorous, 5 1/2 foot stick of bud with a few baby's arms down below, late sept finish. A little on the leafy side but it doesn't matter cause it gets covered w/resin and the buds are dense and tight. Nice that it's advertised as an "in/out"strain, IMO we could use some more of those. Good mold resistance, def when you consider the density factor.
:lurk:

TorontoMo

avalon day 32

avalon day 32

Day 32
These plants require lots of nitrogen. The plants when healthy are very dark green with shiny fan leafs. About half my plants were lime green and I slowly added nitrogen in increasing concentrations and these plants can take up pure blend pro veg at the concentrations listed on the bottle!!! These plants suck up nitrogen like crazy.

I am sure I lost some yield due to the nitrogen shortage because it is clear that cola formation was not as extensive in the nitrogen deficient plants. Not that big of a difference but there's a difference none the less.

The above pictures are from a healthy dark green plant.
The following is a pic from a lime green plant:

Sorry, you can't really see the difference. It is an awesome strain by and large. I am currently flowering the mother (I don't have any more space in my closet so I am keeping a clone as a new mom) and she has more than thirty grow tips. She'll be a monster!!!!!!

I'll be following the moms flowering on this thread. It should be awesome.

TorontoMo

Sorry, I attached an old photo of the mom, now she is twice the size shown in the last photo...

Last edited:

bigbag

Veteran
pretty plant TorontoMo,glad u got 1.isnt Avalon a Blueberry x Afghani(or viceversa?that would explain runts&mutants,because bb and hybrids r notorious 4 mutants(although some can be dank).have fun wit dat 1

Brastaman

your in for a treat TorontoMo. the avalon that i had was real fruity on the vine and floral in the jar. it is a blueberry cross for sure and it can be sensitive to nutes and didn't produce much comparatively. I prefered it over the mental floss and diablo we were growing at the same time.

TorontoMo

Avalon is a bb afgani cross BIG, it is ultra skunky during veg AND flower.

I've had the opposite experience with nitrogen, mine are not nute sensitive. Man are they nitrogen hogs.

Brasta, how are yields for this strain and how long did you let it flower? How is the smoke, taste/potency when cured? I already know how they taste when oven dried he he he...

Last edited:

Brastaman

yields were decent. the nugs didn't get too big. i found success when i branched her out and let her veg longer though.

the smoke was soft, smooth and pleasant. the taste wasn't overwhelming kinda soft floral. the high followed suit. it was nice smoke but i got rid of her to keep a OPTxAfghani instead. i was looking for a "blue" "OPT" type plant.

TorontoMo

Thanks brasta. Excellent info. I'm looking to get other strains for variety. Can anyone suggest a low odour high yielding variety? Any advice would be welcome. I have an idea from reading IC but would like some advice none the less.

TorontoMo

avalon harvest

avalon harvest

Alright guys, i haven't updated this thread since harvest. Yes, the weed is that good!!!

Because this is a very early strain (42-49 days) I find that you need to have the plant healthy and dark green up to harvest time. Its not that big a problem taste wise because I use organic ferts. Yields are important to me but the taste hasnt' suffered much.

Here is the healthiest dark green plant pre harvest:

As long as the plant is healthy even the buds at the base of the plant form nice nuggets, regardless of light exposure. This strain gets really dank and skunky as it matures.

The yield for the above plant was 3/4 oz and the nitrogen deficient lime green plants had about a 10-15% decrease in yield. If you use a zero nitrogen fertilizer like earth juice bloom you will have yield problems. This plant needs lots of nitrogen while growing. I use about 1/3 cup blood meal and 1/3 cup bone meal and still I had to fertilize about 1.5 times per week. As long as you keep it dark shiny green, this plant will amaze you with its speed and quality.

TorontoMo

Avalon Smoke report

Avalon Smoke report

I have been oven drying this plant since february and I have to say that tasting this plant nicely dried and cured has been a treat.

Potency: 8.5/10- packs a nice punch even after 2 months of smoking this strain exclusively.
Taste: 9/10 - floral with skunky overtones, cola leafs taste very fruity
High: 9/10- nicely balanced but you can tell if you let this strain go 55-60 days it would be an insomnia med.
Effect: 9/10- lasts about 2 hours but you'll smoke way before that just for taste.

Out of my first batch I manicured the colas and kept the cola leafs to put through my screen. I kiffed the leafs and kept the leafs residue in a jar (a good half cup of ground leafs). The kiff is heavenly, with peach/flower/skunk tones that end in a cough storm. The kiffed leafs I forgot about and six weeks later I opened the jar and smoked a bowl just to see what it tasted like and the potency was excellent, even without the glands. I've been using the ground leafs as an insomnia med because you get high and then you fall into the best sleep you ever had.

D

danny karey

Hey T.mo, hows it going?? Hope all is well. Great smoke report. Ive tried blue dynamite, romulan, and blueberry punch. My fav from NGSC is Romulan for sure, the rest were good, but nothing special. The romulan on the other hand is quit special, it turned out just like all the descriptions you here about Romulan. I wish I still had them going. I still have a pack of each strain stashed for when I get around to them again. Too much on my plate right now.

great pics and report T.Mo. Always wanted to try the Avalon, it sounds great.

Keep up the good work. and T.mo, pm me when ya get enough posts.

Danny