What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New York Judge rules that cops can't search pedestrians for smelling like weed.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ch-pedestrians-smelling-pot-article-1.2488640

the smell of marijuana alone is no longer cause enough for police to search someone on foot, according to a new ruling by one upstate New York court. The pro-pot decision by City of Ithaca Judge Scott Miller — who, in 2014, made national news for citing Peter Pan and Mary Poppins in a ruling — was in the case of Raphael Brukner.
NYC'S FIRST MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY TO OPEN THURSDAY
Back in July 2014, Brukner was arrested when Ithaca police searched him after detecting the smell of marijuana.
He got charged with possession of marijuana, but he also got hit with charges for resisting arrest and obstruction of governmental administration.
Brukner’s lawyer, Max Brown, argued that the cops didn’t have the right to search him in the first place, so all charges should be dismissed.
In the past, courts have decided police can search vehicles based on the smell of marijuana — at least in New York — but Miller’s decision notes that the issue of whether it’s okay to search someone on foot hasn’t been decided before.
“Surprisingly, this Court has not come across any previous written New York judicial opinion which addresses the precise question presented here,” he wrote.
lvmiller8n-1-web.jpg
City of Ithaca Court Ithaca Judge Scott Miller recently ruled that smelling like pot is not sufficient cause for cops to search pedestrians.

“As this question is likely to arise again, not only in this jurisdiction, but throughout the State, a thorough analysis is warranted.”
In an extremely thorough 6,000-word analysis, Miller determined that detaining someone on foot based on the smell of marijuana would not constitute enough evidence to issue a warrant, so it shouldn’t be enough for a search.
Also, previous court decisions have clarified that police can temporarily detain a person only when there’s reasonable suspicion of a felony or misdemeanor — but the possession of small amounts of pot is now only a violation.
The prosecutor claimed that Miller failed to consider a previous case, “People v. Chestnut” that said police can search vehicles based on the smell of marijuana because of the “exigent circumstances.”
In other words, because the car can drive away and take the evidence with it, immediate search is allowed without a warrant. But Miller said he did consider it, and it didn’t apply to people traveling on foot.
“It is a crime, and a dangerous one, to drive while under the influence of marihuana,” Miller wrote. “It is not a crime however, to smell, or even reek, of marihuana while standing in public.”
Robert Gottlieb, a criminal defense lawyer and founding member of the law firm Gottlieb and Gordon, explained that the ruling could be an important addition to existing pot-related case law.
lvmiller8n-2-web.jpg
Ithaca Police Department Raphael Brukner was arrested when police searched him after detecting the smell of marijuana.

NEW YORK TO OFFICIALLY LAUNCH MEDICAL MARIJUANA THIS WEEK
Because the decision comes from a lower court, it’s not a binding precedent — other courts aren’t obliged to stick to it — but it will become part of the body of case law that other judges may refer to in similar cases.
“This was a fairly detailed and reasoned opinion that any responsible judge will study to determine whether or not it’s applicable,” Gottlieb told the Daily News.
Also, it’s an issue that’s likely to come up again.
“As marijuana becomes legal for medical purposes more and more there will be people walking down the street who may have an aroma of marijuana about them,” Gottlieb said.
The Manhattan-based lawyer also said the decision was significant because judges are often hesitant to rule against police.
“Even though judges know what the law is they are reluctant to tell the police, ‘You were not right to have arrested that individual,’ especially if they then find marijuana.”
“This judge should be applauded for applying the law,” he said, adding, “It’s the right decision.”

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Free the Weed!

Free the Weed!

Cops need to stop wasting their time on Weed - :smoweed:

Let the walking man walk

Peace

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
The Judge is an idiot.

Smelling like weed is not a crime..welllll duhhhh

It's probable Cause to search.
Now it's legal and if you want to smell like weed and smoke it,better have your prescription.

f*** New York

well I mean in Ithaca everyone smells like weed. a. it's a huge college town and b. everyone there is very hippieish. some of the best stuff I've gotten has come from Ithaca love going up to the falls with big fat bowl down in the commons though it has become over run with headshops few local shops and good restaurants but I haven't been up there in awhile

armedoldhippy

Veteran
The Judge is an idiot.

Smelling like weed is not a crime..welllll duhhhh

It's probable Cause to search.
Now it's legal and if you want to smell like weed and smoke it,better have your prescription.

f*** New York

it should NOT be probable cause to search. you might smell like weed because your room-mate/girlftiend etc smoked one while you were in the room/car, or your sweater was hanging on a chair while they got baked. i frequently smell like weed when i have not been smoking. sometimes deliberately trying to goad my boss into having me drug tested, LOL! he wears a really tight ass-hat, and it cuts the flow of blood to his brain...

mr.brunch

Veteran
If you get a test, make sure you tell them you are taking omeprazole (prilosec) as it is known to cause false positives for weed. ;)

Stan G.

Wow, that seems almost inconceivable. Starting to maybe feel a little proud to be an American. Now if only they would change that pesky federal law, and let people pursue true liberty and happiness.:tiphat:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Cops will be all over your ass like Oprah on a baked ham if you smell like weed in NYS.

Their favorite line is "step over here sir, I smell marijuana."

Uh its my cigarette...

Doesn't matter, you are getting searched.

Supposedly in '06 it was decriminalized and Leo was not to use funds to actively pursue cannabis. That was 11 years ago. These guys were repelling out of helicopters last fall and grabbing plants everywhere. Now who paid for that? Taxpayers. How do they get away with it? Just do wtf they want. Sucks.

I was driving few weeks back on my way to pick my son up from my parents. I'm turning, I have a cigarette I'm smoking next thing I know I got lights behind me this sheriff comes up and says where is it I can smell your weed I say what are you talking about he says what's that in your hand there I said my cigarette he takes it runs it under his nose smells it takes a drag gives it back go me then says I need you to step out so I can search long story short by the end I had 4 cop cars and 2 dogs sniffing my car all for nothing complete waste of time and bullshit

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I was driving few weeks back on my way to pick my son up from my parents. I'm turning, I have a cigarette I'm smoking next thing I know I got lights behind me this sheriff comes up and says where is it I can smell your weed I say what are you talking about he says what's that in your hand there I said my cigarette he takes it runs it under his nose smells it takes a drag gives it back go me then says I need you to step out so I can search long story short by the end I had 4 cop cars and 2 dogs sniffing my car all for nothing complete waste of time and bullshit

Yep sounds like New York, had the same thing happen to me several times. Even walking to a festival, cop on a bike stops us and says put the marijuana down. I said its a Marlboro dude. Just so stupid. And to think some states in the same damn country you can buy it in a store.

They still stake out hydro stores and follow people home. They sit at toll booths with dogs checking cars. They show up at bars with dogs and write people possesion tickets right in the bar if the dog doesnt like you, you get searched. So frustrating to say the least.

Instead of protect and serve its stalk and harass.

PDX Dopesmoker

I always reek like weed....they should make a weed cologne....yeehaw

They probably do, THC-free cannabis flower essential oil is used in all sorts of cosmetics.

edit: I guess making your own might not be much more than a matter of QWETing or QWISOing your favorite strain

Last edited:

Sluicebox

Is there a guide or a thread in here dealing with Medical in NY State? I have a very dear friend in Owego suffering from MS who can't figure it out. Sorry for this being off topic, I've searched the threads and not found anything. For some reason I can't figure out how to start a new thread. Just point me toward it Please. I'm not asking for anything, I'm not asking for anyone to meet her please don't ban me for the question. In my state, Oregon there is a resource for those looking to find info on clinics, filing paperwork etc. I'm not seeing anything on NY State. thank you for your time, sorry for the intrusion.