What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Mars owner with question

joeaverage

Hello.I hope this is the correct place to post this. I just got a used 6500 model Mars and am wondering what others do with the controller unit. If I mount the controller on the light like the instructions show the electrical wires rest on the light. I have been looking for videos or pictures that show what is common but most show wonderful plants and not the light setup. what is the best method that others do? Thanks.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
It can rest on them lightbars no problem, i usually just make a bunch of the extrawires and make them as neat as I can near the driver, no matter if the driver sits on the wall or over the light.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Not a fan of higher resistance from heated wires... that being said, I also make them nice and neat but then tie them up out of the way so they don't touch. :D

Reactions: GMT

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Light is not that hot, mine was sitting under 45C usually (never reached over 50C, not even with 30C+ ambient), even on max power, and the light bars are like a few cm wide. The increased resistance over those small portions that might be a bit more hot than the rest of the wire is probably totally not worth mentioning in this case. But I understand why u brought that up!
Belive me, I am a bit crazy when it comes to electrical safety and efficiency, and I still allowed it in my grow. Wire is not very maleable/soft so when you make a bunch from it and tie it, it won't stay compacted but fan out a bit. So there's good air circulation between the wire loops.

Anyway, if you bunch the wires near the driver, they will end up above the space between the bars, and not over the light bars. Then you just run the power cable to the side, over the light frame bar (that has no lights), or just hang them above the light, on the tent supports or whatever. Probably that's the best way to deal with the extra wire in this case. :2cents:

joeaverage

What great responses! Thanks! I was thinking to tie them up but Im assuming the light needs raising and lowering. They would need to be adjusted along with the light. I haven’t come up with a good way to allow for adjustment.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
loop them over the tent supports or a hanging hook, then just adjust it when u change light height... u usually don't need to adjust the height too often so it shouldn't be a big bother. Basically any way you can make them be out of the way is good, just adjust the ideea to your particular situation.

Three Berries

I have a wire shelving unit mounted vertically and tied to a corner pole. This I mount a power stirp and fan to. You can just tuck the extra wire behind it to keep it out of the way yet easy to get slack if needed.

blondie

I think we have the same setup if you are still looking for ideas. I hung the light using four regular light hangers. Then I used two hanging basket hangers with two hooks each to keep the electrical wires up out of the way somewhat. Just got this setup today. It’s clunky but functional. I wasn’t sure if the two hanging basket type hangers are needed but seems a good idea.

Attachments

• AF7C449C-4925-41B1-AF35-FC7CCB01658D.jpeg
    AF7C449C-4925-41B1-AF35-FC7CCB01658D.jpeg
    662.3 KB · Views: 57
  • D58E6DD9-E6BF-484F-A55D-A55D970C1D77.jpeg
    D58E6DD9-E6BF-484F-A55D-A55D970C1D77.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
  • 04813076-B299-4024-BE2E-8249FDAED109.jpeg
    04813076-B299-4024-BE2E-8249FDAED109.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 56