What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Caledonia

Boss Cocky

Here's my sole surviving New Caledonia from a six pack planted direct into native forest soil in weather that turned bad following sowing. It's a boy, unfortunately. On the upside, no signs of lady parts. On the downside, he's flowering very early. This is 27 Jan. He might be the hashplant pheno. Which holds little interest for me. It's hard to tell from the structure as i feel that it has been affected by conditions. The soil is very hard to push roots through, and he's been neglected. I ripped him out to clone him, and the root ball was pathetic. That explains the poor growth in height and branching, as well as deficiencies in some macros despite the soil being well amended.
I've got a 10 pack germinating in easy plugs now.
Any thoughts on the pheno?
I was thinking of putting him to the surviving Zamaldelica fem sown at the same time. She is shaping up like a solid example of the fem line.

Attachments

• 20230127_101439.jpg
    20230127_101439.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 86
  • 20230127_101241.jpg
    20230127_101241.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 74
  • 20230127_101152.jpg
    20230127_101152.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 82
  • 20230127_101111.jpg
    20230127_101111.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 95
  • 20230127_101101.jpg
    20230127_101101.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 95

Holeshot51

Here's my sole surviving New Caledonia from a six pack planted direct into native forest soil in weather that turned bad following sowing. It's a boy, unfortunately. On the upside, no signs of lady parts. On the downside, he's flowering very early. This is 27 Jan. He might be the hashplant pheno. Which holds little interest for me. It's hard to tell from the structure as i feel that it has been affected by conditions. The soil is very hard to push roots through, and he's been neglected. I ripped him out to clone him, and the root ball was pathetic. That explains the poor growth in height and branching, as well as deficiencies in some macros despite the soil being well amended.
I've got a 10 pack germinating in easy plugs now.
Any thoughts on the pheno?
I was thinking of putting him to the surviving Zamaldelica fem sown at the same time. She is shaping up like a solid example of the fem line.
Hoping to get some seeds soon.
Definitely breed it to Zamaldelica. Will be a great cross it looks like 👍😀

Boss Cocky

New Caledonia seedlings in easy plugs. On the left is a Thai Chi. The big plugs are Zamaldelica. The two spare plugs have NC and TC seeds that don't look like they are going anywhere. They will be potted up soon into a modified version of the LC water only mix that grew great Zamaldelica last season.

Attachments

• 20230207_165024.jpg
    20230207_165024.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 56
Dubi - when, approximately, can I expect most New Caledonia females to begin flowering? I am at 36.5 N. I'm most interested in the more narrow-leaf phenotypes, as I'm looking for cleanest effects. Thanks!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
@Flacido Domingo you can expect New Caledonia seedlings show their gender as preflowers after 6-8 weeks of life, but at your latitude NC males won't be in full flowering mode until approx second half of July.

Sorry to hear the lone survivor was a male @Boss Cocky Despite the initial wide leaves, its branching (although not well developed) shows strong tropical sativa influence (thin and long). How are doing the 3 new ones from seed ?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Glad to see you growing New Caledonian @elanius and that you are finding the terp profile of the strain appealing. Did you graft clones from different NC females into one plant ?

IndicaFarmer

Hey Dubi, I've got some New Caledonia growing now, one of them is a big female with dark purple stems. I didn't see anything in your posts about that purple pheno, know anything about it?
hey how did they do at your altitude? Did the morphology of the growth change from the descriptions? Do you always let your sativas yellow out all the way/flush/senesce? Anyways have a good one.

Cactus Squatter

Flipped a mom I decided not to keep long term on 2/13. She was around a foot or so tall and just branches galore. I trimmed her up a little but am mostly just letting her do her own thing in the corner. She’s been tied down several times, topped twice and she’s still around 4 feet tall.
I’ll either tie down or just cut off the tall branches that are getting too close to the light.
98460CA6-A8F0-4175-92CD-6294BC81CEF7.jpeg

Ras Kali Rasta

@Flacido Domingo you can expect New Caledonia seedlings show their gender as preflowers after 6-8 weeks of life, but at your latitude NC males won't be in full flowering mode until approx second half of July.

Sorry to hear the lone survivor was a male @Boss Cocky Despite the initial wide leaves, its branching (although not well developed) shows strong tropical sativa influence (thin and long). How are doing the 3 new ones from seed ?

Hey dubi,

I've had a change of user name. The NC seedlings are going well now. They almost got fried to a crisp when we had a couple of days of 42degC and the root cubes dried out when I couldn't make it to the grow. I lost one and have 6 remaining. 5 females and one male. The male is very late flowering, unlike the previous one which was very early. The early male was put to the Zam planted in spring and let go. The late male will be put to the NC females and the 3 Zams started late summer/autumn.

The New Caledonians have really surprised me with their fast flowering response. They are significantly more advanced than the Zamaldelica fems planted at the same time, especially considering that the Zams got through the hot days in much better shape due to being in bigger root cubes. See photos below. First shot is tallest and most advanced Zam on left and tallest NC on right. 2nd, the Zam. 3 3rd, the NC. 4th, the most advanced NC.

Attachments

• 20230329_101257.jpg
    20230329_101257.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 84
  • 20230329_101046.jpg
    20230329_101046.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 70
  • 20230329_101037.jpg
    20230329_101037.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 82
  • 20230329_101240.jpg
    20230329_101240.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 85

midwestkid

Veteran
420giveaway
The smells these plants put out is something else, how can I even describe it? ...not sure if I can resist from eating them all alive.

View attachment 18822602

View attachment 18822603

View attachment 18822604 View attachment 18822605
View attachment 18822606

They are all grafted on one plant:
View attachment 18822607
can you describe the smells? ive had plants "speak to me" with their aromas. i believe thats your body telling you this plant is a keeper (for your physiology)
whats she smell like?

Vapomiam

They are all grafted on one plant:
View attachment 18822607

What a wonderful idea you got there Elianus!

Good way to go for those who want to maximise diversity into minimum plant count.

This way you can buy a pack of 12 seeds, put these straight into flower, graft each declared female into one plant. Put this one into vegetative mode until each graft has been strong and mature enough. And then you flower it and you got a whole pack diversity (for the female part) into one and only plant! You can even put your seedlings into vegetative mode after you took the grafts on them to keep as potential mother, you don't need no more to clone them for that.

Also it would be interesting to test different rootstock and see how the grafts react. You certainly could achieve to minimise stretch on tropical sativas if you graft them on the correct dwarfing rootstock.

Thank you Elianus!

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
A pleasure to also meet your 5 new Caledonian girls in early flowering :tiphat: Glad her aromas are enticing from the start. Place the pots in a sunny location and they reward with quite good yields. Please, keep us updated with their progress !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts