What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need suggestions best LED with IR

Raw710

Title says it all I am looking for the best led with IR. I have been growing with LEDs for over a year now and they are doing well just missing that little bit extra to push them over the edge if anyone can give me a recommendation to where to start I would appreciate it.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Add IR to what you have? An incandescent lamp perhaps. Or a 730nm array. The cheap lamp would be a good start, to assess if it's what you need to get over this edge.

Raw710

Add IR to what you have? An incandescent lamp perhaps. Or a 730nm array. The cheap lamp would be a good start, to assess if it's what you need to get over this edge.

I run about 30 lights right now. I might need more than a incandescent lamp. What is a good brand for the 730nm array.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
How would you like to do it. If you have bar lights, do you want to add another bar? At 30 units, I dare say I could have a manufacturer populate a board/strip with just 730s for you.
Alternately you are looking at separate units to hang.

Do you have any old halogen lights?
?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwarisanlighting.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fparser%2Fhalogen-lamp-spectrum-4....jpg

Look at the 730 peak and the 840. This lamp is perfect for some spectrum fill-in. Terrible lights, but good heaters.
Usually the peak is a bit higher. The pics from here: https://warisanlighting.com/halogen-lamp-spectrum.html

Using LEDs for 730, gives you just 730. A narrow peak on a graph like that. A peak that's not even a tenth of the spectrum width covered by a while light, trying to put it's 650w? across 450-650 perhaps. So, to get as high a 730 output, as say the 600 output of your whites... might take less than 65w. It might be 40w. Or 20w. Lights with 730nm added, don't add 10% more.
I bet there is some rule of thumb to this. If you are trying to replicate some particular brand, you might need to get counting.

I used a 60w halogen lamp with 550w of decent white. There was an effect of plant morphology, but I saw no gain elsewhere. I just use the stretch when I need to. It wasn't a conclusive test though, just a few runs. No side by side.

Raw710

How would you like to do it. If you have bar lights, do you want to add another bar? At 30 units, I dare say I could have a manufacturer populate a board/strip with just 730s for you.
Alternately you are looking at separate units to hang.

Do you have any old halogen lights?

Look at the 730 peak and the 840. This lamp is perfect for some spectrum fill-in. Terrible lights, but good heaters.
Usually the peak is a bit higher. The pics from here: https://warisanlighting.com/halogen-lamp-spectrum.html

Using LEDs for 730, gives you just 730. A narrow peak on a graph like that. A peak that's not even a tenth of the spectrum width covered by a while light, trying to put it's 650w? across 450-650 perhaps. So, to get as high a 730 output, as say the 600 output of your whites... might take less than 65w. It might be 40w. Or 20w. Lights with 730nm added, don't add 10% more.
I bet there is some rule of thumb to this. If you are trying to replicate some particular brand, you might need to get counting.

I used a 60w halogen lamp with 550w of decent white. There was an effect of plant morphology, but I saw no gain elsewhere. I just use the stretch when I need to. It wasn't a conclusive test though, just a few runs. No side by side.

I'll have to look more into this but yes I wouldn't mind getting a bar of 730 nm array. I only could find one and it was from China would rather it be from a reputable company if possible.

The medic grow x spectrum looks super cool. It has an ir and uv1 bar. Then it has a boosted red setting for flower.

so you can run it on its "veg" setting or "red" setting and if you want at any time you can click on the ir bar. At full power, boosted red with the IR bar on, it's 880w. I think it's 750w or something around there without the boosted red and IR on. I haven't seen a par map, but there is a video of some guy setting it up with measurements, he just doesn't plot them to get averages and efficacy. But the thing looks awesome. It has a freaking led screen on it lmao. I hate to be that guy, but it's pretty cool.

their light controller is 200 bucks tho, it'll run all your lights.

newer company so with that many lights you might wanna go with a more established company, idgk.

the photontek 1000w co2 pro looks absolutely freakish. Idk if it has IR. Expensive as hell, buy whatever it beasts light. Those throw tons tons light on a 5x5 print. With 30 lights you'd be hanging them High to keep ppfd anywhere near 1500 or lower. With that many lights you could probably run them on 6x6 and still be beating 1000ppfd, but I I seen a par test on the 6x6 footprint. Definitely need co2, which I'm assuming you have with that many lights.

jwm

Veteran
Next light will be the ES 180 V3.
I’m in a 2x3x5’ with 2 SF 1000 and killing it but I’ve had them going on 2 yrs so they’ll be needing replacement soon.
I like the interest free pay over time option ES offers.
D904031A-88B8-47D7-B9B0-C95548EABE2B.jpeg

Attachments

• 51D44459-0E25-4EDB-9D7B-79B91EDBD838.jpeg
    51D44459-0E25-4EDB-9D7B-79B91EDBD838.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 70

Raw710

Next light will be the ES 180 V3.
I’m in a 2x3x5’ with 2 SF 1000 and killing it but I’ve had them going on 2 yrs so they’ll be needing replacement soon.
I like the interest free pay over time option ES offers.

awesome what strain is it?

midwestkid

Veteran
I'm fighting hi Temps in this winter time run, so I'm thinking I'm gonna need LED lighting for summer time unless I can get this room in check with exhaust.
so I will be reading along...