What's new

need help with ventilation...

hey guys/gals...

i wanted to ask a quick question about how i should go about ventilating my new grow box that i am going to be building...

basically this box is gonna be 3ft wide x 2ft deep, and 5 1/2ft tall...

the lower 3 1/2ft im using for my flowering chamber, and the top 2 ft will be for seedlings and clones...

my problem is i dont know what would be the best way for me to ventilate this box to maintain the correct temps...

im gonna be using my 400w HPS/MH system for the flowering box, and for the cloning/seedling chamber i will have 1 x 125w blue spectrum envirolite...

i was thinking that for my HPS light i am gonna go and buy a cooltube reflector plus a fan and ducting and maybe a carbon filter to.. though im not really concerned about the smell of the plants tbh...

anyway... what i want to know is will the fan that i have for my cooltube also ventilate the warm stale air out of the room to???

or would i also need a seperate fan system to remove the stale air from the flowering chamber??

and finally, would i need an active intake or would a passive one be good enough??

any help with this problem would be much appreciated folks...

thanx in advance.. :joint:

AbaZabba

Blunted,
If you attach a cooltube to your 400watter you should definately be able to suck the heat off the bulb/reflector and exhaust it all out with the same inline fan.
I would construct a few light proof passive intakes on the bottom of the flower floor and let the fan suck all the heat through the cooltube and right out of the chamber. :)

As for the seedlings and clones, you could rig up a small hole with 1 or 2 computer fans attached to a 12v adaptor and I think that would be sufficient for exhausting and cooling such low wattage on the top shelf. Good luck with the cab :dance:

thank u so much for the snappy reply Aba...

u have confirmed what i was already thinking... i just wasnt 100% sure if the fan i used for the cooltube was gonna be enough to draw the heat out off the room also...

so u reckon to that a couple pieces of pipe down at the bottm of the flowering chamber should be enough to allow the fan to suck in fresh air also??

thanks again man..

AbaZabba

Ya, just make sure you use the lightproof technique where the pvc connector are facing opposite dirctions as they enter through the flower floor (is this confusing) Make it look like as S so you get no light leaks through your passive intake basically, happy growing :)

AbaZabba

I myself am in the market for a 449 cfm vortex 6"

I hear they are fairly quiet and one of the better brands to go with in terms of durablility and effectiveness.

Anyone out there wouldn't happen to know where to find one of these babies used or at discount wholesale somewhere? The cheapest I've found online is 169$ shipped to the states :smoker:

thanx alot guys...

though i ve just been looking at the price of cooltubes and they aint cheap!!

do u think it would be possible to keep my box at the correct temps with just a standard reflector on my HPS light, and ventilating normally with a fan and ducting??

yeah i have the guides here on my computer how to make one,, but im just gonna buy one, i found a site that sells em for £43, so im getting that, plus a fan and carbon filter with 10Mtrs of ducting...

the fan and filter is only gonna cost £90, so thats not to bad...

fieldofdreams ur closet is pretty similar to what my set up is gonna be like... except mine isnt as tall...

im gonna use the top shelf on my one for clones and seedlings...

hopefully should have it up and running in a few weeks from now...

AbaZabba

Looks like you'll be good to go now Blunted, good luck with finishing that cab off :smoker:

Nice DIY cooltube you got there fieldofdreams, very nice and clean.

Ya, I only have my new one b/c I got lucky and found a guy who had some in a wareshop that he mis-bought and he didnt want them; ending up getting a NEW 600W Hort bulb, 6" cooltube (internal reflector), and a 600W digital china-made ballast for 150$ US shipped :woohoo:

Anywho, still in the process of gettin things moved and re-built along with finding an inline fan to get this baby ready to rock. 3 feminised LifesaverXMikado have been soaked and sprouted for fun in a small closet.

Take it easy all and gl with the cab Blunted :wave:

thanx aba... i should hopefully have everything to start this within a couple of weeks... id say in a months time it will be all setup and on the go!!

Latest posts

Latest posts