What's new

Need help with mu big bud auto.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Is this plant fucked or can it be saved?
Big bud auto. It was doing just fine a few days ago And now all the leaves are starting to yellow. I had been only giving it rainwater with with a little bit of cal+mag on every other watering. I watered it yesterday so I can't water it more now. I think all of the leaves are going to end up falling offalling off sooner than later. My last big bud auto didn't have this problem at all.

What can I do to save this plant?
20220829_082227.jpg
20220829_081930.jpg
20220829_082313.jpg
20220829_082333.jpg
20220829_082402.jpg
20220829_082510.jpg

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Is this plant fucked or can it be saved?
Big bud auto. It was doing just fine a few days ago And now all the leaves are starting to yellow. I had been only giving it rainwater with with a little bit of cal+mag on every other watering. I watered it yesterday so I can't water it more now. I think all of the leaves are going to end up falling offalling off sooner than later. My last big bud auto didn't have this problem at all.

What can I do to save this plant? View attachment 18750000 View attachment 18750001 View attachment 18750002 View attachment 18750003 View attachment 18750004 View attachment 18750005
1. You should check for bugs - especially mites. It's that time of year.

Also the growroom needs cleaning. There is dirt on the floor, soil. The wall, if it's plastic or caulk, is good. However the floor is made of wood and needs a plastic cover that is easy to clean and dry out.

2. When the bug check is done, you should check the pH of the run-off.

Too low a pH will lock out mobile nutrients like nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium and magnesium. If you know what the pH and EC/PPM of the run-off is you can tell. Is the run-off pH higher or lower than the water you put in.

Last edited:

pjlive

What everyone is saying is good.

It looks like your main stem has purple spots or stripes along with the petioles. If this isn't a genetic regularity you are more likely having issues with:

- Stress. This is most often light stress.
- Poor pH as @TanzanianMagic indicates.
- Nutrient lockout due to some other stressors.
- Nutrient deficiency. But if you know your pot has plenty of go-go juice in there, it's more likely a stressor lockout.

Otherwise, it looks like your plant is getting close to a finish approach. If that's true then you're likely also dealing with cannibalization (due either out of necessity by the plant as it tries to finish or lockouts due to excessive stress or bad pH).

Yes, if you target the issue and boogie you can still get usable buds by harvest.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
The bag of soil says that it is supposed to feed for up to 6 months. If it is a PH issue I feel like I have to wait till I can water again to collect the water run off to test that ph. Then i don't know what to ph for the next watering in a few days.
Unless there's another way I can check the soils ph.
I've checked for bugs n there is NO bugs at all. It's in a fabric pot so I can tell when to water it by how lite weight the pot/soil gets. And the only reason I haven't given it much food besides the little bits of Cal-mag, iron + with every other watering is because I was under the impression that the soil was gonna feed for 6 months. Is that a lie by the soil co.?

I know the yellowing leaves aren't gonna green up again, but is there any thing i can do at all that will make the buds grow bigger? Its almost 7 weeks since prouted. I recently harvested the same strain big bud auto with much less problems growing in the same sized pot and same led light. This one grow much bigger than last time but now has problems.

Last edited:

pjlive

Oh, in bag soil. So, yeah, the average lifespan of nutrients in bag soil is roughly 30 days. But you might have one that goes longer, I don't know. From that perspective, you might actually be out of nutrients. No worries about your pH, that's not likely.

goingrey

So on the next watering I should feed it some bloom food?
That's a good question.

Typically that would probably be what you'd give them at this stage. However, the plant is so heavily nitrogen deficient that even a veg fertilizer might be called for. But not sure how it'll react to a heavy dose of nitrogen in this state, and they'll want the extra P possibly even the extra K of the bloom fertilizer as well. Maybe a 50/50 mix? Depends on the NPK of your bloom fertilizer too...

To end on a positive note, I recently read a study that said underfed plants, while yielding less, can actually be more potent (higher cannabinoid and terpene content).

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Just up-pot to a little larger container with fresh soil and finish her on out. When you water your soil and allow a lot of run-offs or discharge the EC nutrient charge drops quickly. To make the soil last 6 months you need to hold the runoff. 😎

pjlive

Yep, it's all good advice.

Pre-mixed bag soils can be great. However, some companies are having some issues with either bad mixing practices or have problems after the product has been allowed time to settle in the bag. This can cause and uneven mix of nutrients that will ultimately lead to hot and cold spots when using the mix -- or some pots will get lots of nutes, other pots won't. So, it's highly recommended that when you get a pre-mix to empty the entire contents into a container and mix it up thoroughly before distributing it to pots.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I tumble the bags on the ground about 25 times to mix up the amendments well. FoxFarms, RootsOrganic, and other organic mixes will settle after a while and need to be mixed up well before use. However, pjlive's hand mixing way is the best way when it comes to getting the best out of the potting mix. If you have a kid's plastic swimming pool they are great for mixing organic mixes in. .😎

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
The bag of soil says that it is supposed to feed for up to 6 months. If it is a PH issue I feel like I have to wait till I can water again to collect the water run off to test that ph. Then i don't know what to ph for the next watering in a few days.
Unless there's another way I can check the soils ph.
I've checked for bugs n there is NO bugs at all. It's in a fabric pot so I can tell when to water it by how lite weight the pot/soil gets. And the only reason I haven't given it much food besides the little bits of Cal-mag, iron + with every other watering is because I was under the impression that the soil was gonna feed for 6 months. Is that a lie by the soil co.?

I know the yellowing leaves aren't gonna green up again, but is there any thing i can do at all that will make the buds grow bigger? Its almost 7 weeks since prouted. I recently harvested the same strain big bud auto with much less problems growing in the same sized pot and same led light. This one grow much bigger than last time but now has problems.
You can feed it 1.0 EC or 500 PPM of flowering food. If possible, you can still transplant it (gently, not touching the roots) to give it more nutrients. The P in the flowering food will also encourage root growth.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
So tonight I gave it some open sky collected rain water with 6-12-6 bloom food and some botancare cal-mag & iron. Here is a pic of the ph run off and 2 flower shot.
I cut off some dieing leafs. The ph that the rain water/bloom mix befor being used came out to was about 6.5-6.7ph.
Now I'll just sit back and wait and see what happens what happens cause that's all I can do. Either way I'm not a quitter and I'm not gonna give up on this lady.
20220830_211349.jpg
20220830_212904.jpg

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Well they're looking pretty already.

If you slowly nudge the pH up to and beyond 7.0, more mobile nutrients will be absorbed - N, P, K, Mg all benefit from a higher pH.

When we grow weed, we're using increasing amounts of pH lowering nutrients. However in the place it originated, which is presumed to be the Tibetan Plateau, and Lake Qinghai which among others is fed by the Buha River, then what the plant faces is continuously higher pHs and PPM/EC levels as the soil dries. The river, lake and soils are also high in Sodium and Chloride. The lake itself is very alkaline - a 9.06 pH. The Buha River also has a high pH, "7.91 and 9.21, with an average of 8.43". Cannabis is a plant of the old floodplains of the Alluvial Plane. It gets a high water level when the river floods.

Just a thought. The plant is expecting a slowly but steadily increasing pH and PPM.

UPDATE

Are you sure there are no mites involved? There are tiny dots on many of the leaves. Mites are extremely small and can easily be mistaken for specs of dust. Their damage can present as nutrient deficiency, especially nitrogen deficiency.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts