What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need help with equipment selection

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
The most economical way to start is to buy a package. Our sponsor Mars Hydro have some and they offer an icmag discount.

See Grow Tent Kits code: icmag

Once you have the basics, then you have to decide how you are going to grow. Soil, Coco, dwc bucket etc etc. You have to research and see what matches your budget and time available.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I have never tried soil - coco suits my style. Use the search feature and start reading some pertinent grow reports for ideas. It seems that no two grows are alike. Growers here have some great ideas for all styles so you should learn enough to refine your choices.

Subu

If you can't be bothered figuring out almost any of your setup I'd suggest you don't bother with 'live soil'.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Here is how I set up my tents. You only need a single 4x4 if you are just growing for yourself.

https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijua...9311-help-me-set-up-a-tent/page2#post17807339

If you want to grow in soil, and you should because it is easy, a SWICK system sure works well. Bags on the perlite beds allow you the flexibility of rotating the plant 180*, changing it's location in the tent, and removing the bag if needed. My automatic watering SWICK set-up really works well. The manual watering one is OK also, but takes more attention. This post is where I started my 2nd iteration of my auto-watering SIP. It works great and can grow big plants in the 10 gallon bags.

https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijua...u-gotta-sip-not-slurp?p=12554815#post12554815

That info should get you a starting point for YOUR grow. Note the dates of my posts. I learned here and you can too.

Razer1073

Here is how I set up my tents. You only need a single 4x4 if you are just growing for yourself.

https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijua...9311-help-me-set-up-a-tent/page2#post17807339

If you want to grow in soil, and you should because it is easy, a SWICK system sure works well. Bags on the perlite beds allow you the flexibility of rotating the plant 180*, changing it's location in the tent, and removing the bag if needed. My automatic watering SWICK set-up really works well. The manual watering one is OK also, but takes more attention. This post is where I started my 2nd iteration of my auto-watering SIP. It works great and can grow big plants in the 10 gallon bags.

https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijua...u-gotta-sip-not-slurp?p=12554815#post12554815

That info should get you a starting point for YOUR grow. Note the dates of my posts. I learned here and you can too.

Thanks fly, yeah just personal use

BAMstheWRST

I was thinking about getting this set up to start with.... any thoughts anyone? (Over priced/too much equipment/not enough/etc.) Any info helps 😊 thanks everyone

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
48s not very tall. you could loose 12 to your pot, and more if you catch the drainage in something removable. Then the light will hand down at least some way. Then you have the people saying the light wants 24 from the canopy. What does that leave for the plant. I got nothing.

bye12

So I have been growing before but that was like 10 years ago so sold all my equipment and just started again.
I learned my lesson the first time to not get the cheapest stuff.

I bought all I needed for my new setup for about 1200€, that's everything from seed, soil, nutrients, tent and ventilation.
I think it is important to think of what is a good future proof investment when it comes to grow equipment.
I rather spend my money once and be happy what I get then to not be satisfied with the results.

Cheap tents seems to not always be light proof and brake easy, but can always be upgraded in the future.

Led lights have come a along way so the cheap ones are probably really good now a days, but be careful what they are advertised for. Check the wattage that they use instead of the HPS wattage they are equal too.

Ventilation is where I should spend more money on then to cheap out, bad environment will kill plants and devastate your grow. Try and find a EC inline fan that has a built in speed controller, and preferably a temperature/ humidity control. And by a bigger one then you need so you can run it at lower speed to reduce noice and to have the option to up your space in the future.
Depending on how your general humidity is you might need a dehumidifier as well, too high humidity will make your buds root. I first bought a small dehumidifier that was rated for about 700ml/day but that didn't do shit to my humidity so sent it back and got one that is rated for 10l a day but the price is also 5 times as much.
Don't forget that you also need some circulating fan inside the tent.

If you don't have a separate room to have your tent in noice might be an issue and air moving and fan noice can be really loud.

As for nutrient and medium I would recommend by starting something simple, you will probably want to try different methods after a while so don't invest to much here.
I went with Greenhouse seeds powder feeding organic and some canna soil. Super simple just water the plants with water in a reasonable PH range and that's it, I just got some standard PH colour strips so no need for any fancy PH meters.

Good luck

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Good advice so far...

Buy quality, start with a small setup which will also work great as a mum/veg area for a larger setup later. ;)
You can literally start with a bagged soil and water only from start to finish, and generally end up with better than market quality.

Make sure the air in the space is completely changed out 3 times a minute.

Keep transpiration (water usage) high and nutrient load low. To keep it high, hot rooms need high humidity, cool rooms need low humidity. Study up on vpd if you want more in-depth info on it. Btw, the most fragile terpenes begin vaporizing at 70F, which is why warm rooms smell so nice. ;)

Be kind, if you make errors feeding let them be not feeding enough. Over feeding causes decreased quality and a majority does not flush or fade out. It makes for a hotter and harsher end smoke.

Most important? Breathe, relax, have fun learning about this amazing plant, she's gorgeous! :)

20220315_165358.jpg

Attachments

• 20220315_165358.jpg
    20220315_165358.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 57