What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need help with choosing the right soil mix in Tokyo!!

iceman0420

Hi there,

im having an issue with choosing soil for growing in tokyo. i have checked dye shops like VivaHome and Doit, but its difficult to choose the right one as some contain pre-added nutrients which may cause a burn for seedlings? so...if there any any soil growers out there, pls suggest the kind of soil you are using which is best suited for cannabis. pls give info regarding the name and the packaging details as my japanese is basic. also, for nutrients, i'll be using hyponex plant food and their blooming nutrient as well. hope they work well.

peace and happy growing!!:peacock:

harry74

Veteran
I think an average soil for flower-plants will do.
Any idea what strain/genetics are you growing?

iceman0420

well....ive got a few northern lights, 1 skywalker (dutch passion) and 1 obsession (world of seeds)
regarding the soil, i think most of the soil for flower-plants come with pre-added nutes. worried they may have an effect on seedlings..

upload a pic of the bag where the infos is maybe with that some people go giv you more infos
same place you see ph suppose see ec...

harry74

Veteran
well....ive got a few northern lights, 1 skywalker (dutch passion) and 1 obsession (world of seeds)
regarding the soil, i think most of the soil for flower-plants come with pre-added nutes. worried they may have an effect on seedlings..

Hello iceman.

I use Biobizz All -Mix; the bag says PH 6.6 EC 2.2
I don´t think the EC is OK; I use this soil with seedlings and I´ve got no problems.
Anyway, you can use perlite or coco fiber for the seedling stage mixed with your soil to make it less rich.
IMO Northern Lights would be a good choice to start, easier than Skywalker; Obsession??? no idea.

Any idea about the PH of the wáter in Japan, just curious:chin:.

Good Luck.

iceman0420

just checked the bag of soil i had purchased long back (havent used it yet tho) and the ph reads 6.5 +/- 0.5 and they also have an EC reading 0.7 (dont kno what that EC value really means). the contents of the bag are as follows:
1. Red Soil
2. White Soil
3. Peat Moss
4. Vermiculite
5. Cow Manure
6. Fermented leaves
7. Charcoal
8. Shell parts (not really sure what kind of shell but something from the ocean)

is this mix good enough? for example - i start seeds in jiffy pellets and then transfer to this soil?
i could even make my own mix with the following by purchasing them individually and mixing it myself:
1. Red Soil (small chunks)
2. Red Soil (medium chunks)
3. Fermented leaves
4. Peat moss
5. Black Soil
6. White Soil
7. Red Soil (big chunks)
8. Cow Manure
9. Compost
10. Perlite
11. Sand

Thanks for reading….any help would be greatly appreciated…!!

iceman0420

the ph of the water here is around 7 (clorine added but can be removed by leaving it for a day or 2. i have a ph meter and buffer solutions too..

harry74

Veteran
I think you´ll do fine with that soil, don´t worry about EC must be orientative...

May be if you add a source of P&K for flowering even better.
I don´t know if you have BatGuano in Japan.
If not you could go with seabird guano.