What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need help identifying the problem

goingrey

It is 13 hours off, 11 on.

https://www.growweedeasy.com/12-1-lighting-method You can read more from here, and yes my friend is using this with good results. At least I'm gonna try this now. Of course if I ever feel like going back to typical 18/6 and 12/12, I will. But I do trust my friend when he says this works, I've seen and tasted his buds, they be fantastic!

Does your friend go down all the way to 9 hours of light like that guide suggests? And what are his results if so. I'm already doing 11 but might need to harvest this round earlier than planned so if it speeds things up I'd be down even with lower yields.

The 12-1 veg I've heard people doing in greenhouses to prevent plants from flowering too early when the days are still short, giving that hour of artificial light. Don't see people doing it much indoors despite being a well known method. Probably slows veg down? Or could be a remnant from HPS days like HempKat says I suppose, double the wear on the bulb.

Teepi

Does your friend go down all the way to 9 hours of light like that guide suggests? And what are his results if so. I'm already doing 11 but might need to harvest this round earlier than planned so if it speeds things up I'd be down even with lower yields.

The 12-1 veg I've heard people doing in greenhouses to prevent plants from flowering too early when the days are still short, giving that hour of artificial light. Don't see people doing it much indoors despite being a well known method. Probably slows veg down? Or could be a remnant from HPS days like HempKat says I suppose, double the wear on the bulb.

Actually, I never talked with him about that, so not sure if he actually goes down to 9 hours... I need to ask!
Funny you mention slowing down veg, and I then realised he's been saying he has slow veg, so maybe it's because of that? Which made me think more about this, if plants grow from getting light, it kinda makes sense that veg will be slower with less light. Made me think so hard that I had to change back to 18/6. 😅
Maybe that's why my other tent has lady that grows superslow... fuck me, did I screw up by trying some weird light schedule.

Ahwell, still learning... one day I might be someone who knows wtf he's doing. Thanks all for the helps!

Been also thinking of going back to HPS, this LED thing seems like a bloody rocket science compared to growing with HPS. 😂

Teepi

https://www.growlikejoe.com/growing/

Interesting read, which made me stick to this cycle, and not 18/6. It's not apparently just about light, darkness means a lot it seems. Apparently more people here grow with that same system, and are happy. Cut down 25% of veg/flower time according to that link, interesting!

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
It is 13 hours off, 11 on.

https://www.growweedeasy.com/12-1-lighting-method You can read more from here, and yes my friend is using this with good results. At least I'm gonna try this now. Of course if I ever feel like going back to typical 18/6 and 12/12, I will. But I do trust my friend when he says this works, I've seen and tasted his buds, they be fantastic!

Okay because in the post above you said 12 hours on, 5.5 hours off, 1 hour on, 5.5 hours off which 12+1 on = 13 hours on and 5.5+5.5 off = 11 hours off. If you accidentally mixed that up then that's an honest mistake that anyone might make. For what it's worth though changing your light schedule won't improve the taste of you buds, all it does is help some strains that are difficult to get to finish to actually finish, which is mostly Sativa or Sativa dominant strains. The vast majority of Indica, and hybrid strains though will finish just fine with a 12/12 cycle. I would personally be reluctant to use a cycle that isn't found in nature for fear it would cause the plant stress because it's seeing odd patterns of day and night.

HempKat

Veteran
Actually, I never talked with him about that, so not sure if he actually goes down to 9 hours... I need to ask!
Funny you mention slowing down veg, and I then realised he's been saying he has slow veg, so maybe it's because of that? Which made me think more about this, if plants grow from getting light, it kinda makes sense that veg will be slower with less light. Made me think so hard that I had to change back to 18/6. 😅
Maybe that's why my other tent has lady that grows superslow... fuck me, did I screw up by trying some weird light schedule.

Ahwell, still learning... one day I might be someone who knows wtf he's doing. Thanks all for the helps!

Been also thinking of going back to HPS, this LED thing seems like a bloody rocket science compared to growing with HPS. 😂

Yeah with the veg cycles most people go the other way and try to give more light to speed up growth some will even run their veg light 24 on 0 off. I tried it once and wasn't impressed but the plants did grow the whole time but I didn't notice that the growth was particularly faster or that there was more of it. In fact the plants seemed a little less healthy to me which is why I only did it once. All life benefits from some down time from the sun so it can focus energies on other things and then when the sun is out it can dedicate more energy to getting it's benefits from the sun. The only scenario I can think of for wanting to slow veg growth down is when you're keeping mothers for clones and you don't want them growing out too much before you take your next batch of clones.

Teepi

Okay because in the post above you said 12 hours on, 5.5 hours off, 1 hour on, 5.5 hours off which 12+1 on = 13 hours on and 5.5+5.5 off = 11 hours off. If you accidentally mixed that up then that's an honest mistake that anyone might make. For what it's worth though changing your light schedule won't improve the taste of you buds, all it does is help some strains that are difficult to get to finish to actually finish, which is mostly Sativa or Sativa dominant strains. The vast majority of Indica, and hybrid strains though will finish just fine with a 12/12 cycle. I would personally be reluctant to use a cycle that isn't found in nature for fear it would cause the plant stress because it's seeing odd patterns of day and night.

OH no, I just misunderstood something there, (not my native language). Yes, it's 13 hours on during veg phase, but 11 on flowering which gets lowered to 9 during flowering. So overall less light on both, veg and flowering phases. If you read the link I posted above your reply, you'll find more info from there. https://www.growlikejoe.com/growing/ This one, interesting read about plants needing actually more darkness, for faster and better growth. Apparently most growers around here where I live, uses this same method and they wont change back to 18/6 and 12/12 because they like this better.

Clearly I'm just an amateur, and don't have enough solid facts on this subject, but I trust them potheads around here, because most of them aint joking with their stuff. 😅

Yeah I understand your hesitancy trying something new out, but if even old grower after 30 years changed to this method, I guess there must be something about it.

HempKat

Veteran

Interesting read, which made me stick to this cycle, and not 18/6. It's not apparently just about light, darkness means a lot it seems. Apparently more people here grow with that same system, and are happy. Cut down 25% of veg/flower time according to that link, interesting!

It is true that the darkness plays a big role, for example it's not the lessening of light that triggers the flowering response but rather the increase of darkness.

Teepi

It is true that the darkness plays a big role, for example it's not the lessening of light that triggers the flowering response but rather the increase of darkness.

Yus, and I understood that darkness plays big role in veg aswell, as they grow when they get rest in dark.

goingrey

Interesting indeed, he's also claiming 8 hours of light during flowering would produce better results than the typical 12.

But Joe Pietri is a somewhat controversial character in the community so I don't know what to think. Would be interesting to see a side by side of the same clone in otherwise identical systems.

HempKat

Veteran
Yus, and I understood that darkness plays big role in veg aswell, as they grow when they get rest in dark.

Yes but there are other things they do in the dark better then they do in the light which is why even though you can let them go with the lights on 24 hours it's better not to.

goingrey

Word of warning to anyone interested in this...

After one week of 10.5h days I have had to pick two pollen sacks from one of my plants. The same clone has not made any nanners previously with 11-12 hour days.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Word of warning to anyone interested in this...

After one week of 10.5h days I have had to pick two pollen sacks from one of my plants. The same clone has not made any nanners previously with 11-12 hour days.

That's very nice to know and makes a lot of sense. Thanks, goingrey. 😎

Latest posts

Latest posts