What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need help dealing with THRIPS

Grower9303

So I’ve been battling thrips for quite some time now. I’ve spent over $500 on beneficial bugs & it just doesn’t seem to be doing the trick or eliminating the problem. I’ve used neem oil as well and that just seemed to cause more harm to the plants then good. So a few ppl have told me to use Monterey once a year. But I’m reading the back of the bottle and looking online and can’t seem to find the correct ratio to water it per gallon. If anyone has any input or anything that would be great.

Oregonism

Cut back your watering.
Then Maybe even just a little 99 isp alcohol, 200ml per gallon, soil drench w/ sprayer.

Thrips are super common in moist root zones. They live in soil water pockets. If you allow your soil/medium to dry out a little more before each watering, this can be enough to rid them. They are harmless though.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
I know that problem too. Fighting them for years. My problem is the long use of wateronly mix(+1year) so new planting gets infected fast. Chrysoperla worked good but they came back. Neem or pyrethrum based products worked good when used 2-3 times min but they also came back.
Sulfur burner worked also good but can harm the plants when overdone. New growth is very sensitive and i have burned some stretching branches in the beginning. Also i don't think that those sulfur fumes are good for your health in general so i try to leaf the place while and after i use the burner. I got the burner to fight spidermites in late flowerstage and that worked very good.

I will dev try the spinosad but imo more important for me is to change my soil more often so i don't have a permanent habitat for thrips.

GoatCheese

Veteran
You have to keep spraying stuff on thrips for about 3 weeks rather than 2-3 times, esp. if you have thrips during colder seasons cause their eggs take longer to hatch than in warm environment.

..so rather you spray your plants a week or two TOO LONG after you’ve seen them disappear than stop spraying too early, cause they will make a come back if you don’t get all of them the first time.

You’re very lucky if you got them all after 2-3 sprays but for me it took 3-4 weeks during winter a year ago. The first time i stopped spraying too early (2-3 weeks) and they came back but then i made sure i kept spraying them long enough.

Thrips will develop a resistance to Spinosad and Pyrethrins in time so you have to change between these products after a week or 2-3 sprays and use Neem oil along with them.

Neem oil apparently affects their hormonal system; their ability produce offspring and how fast they become resistant to pesticides.

I used Neem oil every other spray.

Week 1. Spinosad – Neem Oil – Spinosad – Neem Oil – Spinosad – Neem oil

Week 2. Pyrethrins – Neem oil – Pyrethrins – Neem Oil – Pyrethrins – Neem Oil

Week 3. Spinosad – Neem ....and so on till you get rid of them.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Spinosad for the win, one treatment, done.
I tend to get them every couple years when they harvest the wheat around here and they need a new home (and they manage to slip into my tent).
Good luck man
CC

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
Apparently in Europe it became almost impossible to find Spinosad.
Found it in austria but for professional users(biohelp)
The same shop sells hypoaspis mite that i will try next. They sound good from the description. Live in the soil, can prey on thripse, fungus gnats larvae and many other species and can survive long periods without food. I also think about throwing some of them in my worm bin so they find a permanent home in my garden.

Muarco

Veteran
You can usually find spinosad via eBay.

Also several agri shops in Italy sell it. Contact the sellers for shipping costs many of them only mention shipping to Italy but may still sell out side the country also.

Here’s one place

https://www.agriverdecalabria.it/pr...-ml-pfnpe-con-spinosad-per-orto-e-frutta-sbm/
Crazy that is not as easily available as abamectin or other chemical products that are just worst. I understand the risk for bees but making it so hard to come by sounds like a better solution for the thrips than us.
Thanks for the insight guys. I'll try to get some shipped over!

Latest posts

Latest posts