What's new

Need help choosing a new PC

M

mugenbao

960 parallel stream processors..... WANT!

It's too early for me to have the mental bandwidth to go into much detail, but suffice it to say that you should be very happy with this card. I'm quite confident that as long as you don't have any hardware or driver issues, this card will freaking rock for you.

Some things to note:
  1. It runs hot, so you will definitely want to keep an eye on that and possibly be prepared to add additional heat sinks or airflow. If you have any signs of heat issues (there's tons of free software for monitoring this), *do not* try overclocking it. I've smoked (yes, actual smoke) more than one card trying to tweak things when I had less than optimal cooling. As long as #2 below is well satisfied, you should be good for the most part.
  2. Check the physical size, make sure it's going to fit into your PCI-E slot. For example, in my system, there's only one PCI-E slot available, and it was really freaking tight fitting a giant video card into the space around that slot. Prefab systems are notorious for being a pain in the ass in this regard. Keep in mind that ideally it should not just fit, but should allow decent airflow.
  3. It requires a 650W power supply. Most prebuilt systems have a 450w or 500w power supply. If you do need to upgrade, you'll need to make sure that the new power supply will fit and has all of the appropriate connectors.

Let us know how it goes :)

STUPPA

960 parallel stream processors..... WANT!

It's too early for me to have the mental bandwidth to go into much detail, but suffice it to say that you should be very happy with this card. I'm quite confident that as long as you don't have any hardware or driver issues, this card will freaking rock for you.

Some things to note:
  1. It runs hot, so you will definitely want to keep an eye on that and possibly be prepared to add additional heat sinks or airflow. If you have any signs of heat issues (there's tons of free software for monitoring this), *do not* try overclocking it. I've smoked (yes, actual smoke) more than one card trying to tweak things when I had less than optimal cooling. As long as #2 below is well satisfied, you should be good for the most part.
  2. Check the physical size, make sure it's going to fit into your PCI-E slot. For example, in my system, there's only one PCI-E slot available, and it was really freaking tight fitting a giant video card into the space around that slot. Prefab systems are notorious for being a pain in the ass in this regard. Keep in mind that ideally it should not just fit, but should allow decent airflow.
  3. It requires a 650W power supply. Most prebuilt systems have a 450w or 500w power supply. If you do need to upgrade, you'll need to make sure that the new power supply will fit and has all of the appropriate connectors.
Let us know how it goes :)

Thanks for the advice there man some useful stuff, i will have to change the power supply but i think that is prob a good thing to do in the long run anyway . I have seen a "quiet " 650w on offer for £13 which is peanuts really i guess .

I'm really trying not to get into this overclocking stuff :) it seems like a great way to fry your new comp LOL , they give you software with the mobo i got that allows you to do all this overclocking, i think i will hold off on all that till i know more about it.

Oh just one thing that card is pci-e 2.1 , will that fit in the pci-e 2 slot on my mobo?

BabyHuey

Just because you have an old P4 socket 775, does not mean you can upgrade to the latest Core2duo/quad.
If there is no support for the processor, higher bus speeds, DDR3 slots, etc, you're sol.
It all depends how well the mobo manufacturer provides BIOS upgrades for newer hardware.
My guess is there's no P4 mobos running core2 quads.

Obviously STUPPA purchased a much
better machine and an upgrade would not have given him
any where near the same performance.

I replaced my mobo and can definitively say my replacement
does accept all the processors I listed.Was not sure if the older
mobos would or not.I am sure the chipsets are prob outdated
too.
And of course it doesn't have DDR3 :biglaugh:

My point was that too many never even consider upgrading
their system and for many it is a viable option.I see too many
people buying way more computer than they really require.

newegg fan here too

STUPPA

Obviously STUPPA purchased a much
better machine and an upgrade would not have given him
any where near the same performance.

I replaced my mobo and can definitively say my replacement
does accept all the processors I listed.Was not sure if the older
mobos would or not.I am sure the chipsets are prob outdated
too.
And of course it doesn't have DDR3 :biglaugh:

My point was that too many never even consider upgrading
their system and for many it is a viable option.I see too many
people buying way more computer than they really require.

newegg fan here too

I noticed in the manual for the AM3 mobo i just got that it says it will fit any AMD processor no matter what core it is, that is pretty cool, i suppose it saves you having to buy a new mobo evrytime you get a new cpu.

it also has sata3 and usb3 connections and i was hoping to find an external sound card that will run on the faster usb3 but looks like i'm out of luck on that one, i can't see anything available and from what i'm reading they can't achieve the maximum speeds with it yet so it is no different to usb2 :rolleyes:

BigPhil

Veteran
Hay build your own :D I have resently made a new pc as I was going to upgrade this year for Battle field 3 :D

I have in mine

CPU: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz @ 4.00GHz
- Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard
- RAM: Corsair XMS3 (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Triple Channel
- Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems Performance CPU Cooler with Sharkoon Silent Eagle 2000RPM 120mm Fan
- Artic Cooling MX-3 Thermal Compound
- GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
- Creative X-fi sound card
- Corsair 620 power supplie
- Bule ray player
- 1TB hard drive
- NZXT Phantom Enthusiast Case

Run's everything I want my pc for at max settings :D oops is that my stash jar in the pic lol

STUPPA

Nice looking set up phil, i took the lazy route and bought a pre built one in the end :),

i see you have overclocked your cpu , how much equipment do you need to buy to be able to do this safely? i was thinking about doing it once i have got my new vid card .

you have a massive fan cooler in there is that what i would need to get ?

BigPhil

Veteran
The mother board is designed to handle overclocking abit better than most. I would just get a large cpu cool If you was going to overclock. And overclock alittle at time make sure its stable