What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Natural Terpene Booster: Does Your Area Have a Rabbitry?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Looks damn tasty!! :)

I cooked a 3lb whole rabbit at 275F for 3hrs with salt, garlic and onion. Made brown rice flour gravy with the drippings and chopped up rabbit meat, poured over brown rice flour and agave syrup pancakes....

DROOOOOOOL...!!! I mean, wow!!! So simple, yet I keep thinking about it daily for the last week now. lolol

Douglas.Curtis

Like biscuits and gravy, with a slightly sweeter and softer textured biscuit. :) Awesome with a large spinach and shredded carrot/mozzarella salad.

little-soldier

Damn, this thread turned pretty sour pretty quick . We went from Good loving bunnies to good slaughtering bunnies. 😳
Anywho.. I don’t think I could ever eat a bunny, they are way too cute for that 😌
Hope it never gets to that point anyways.

I will be doing a smoke report Here in a week. But so far plants are identical in terms of size and trichomes no matter what amendment used.
The alpaca poop was the only manure still visible and pretty sure i could reuse them for the next crop too so that’s a plus i guess. The chicken poop decomposed very fast and made white fuzz at the top of the pots. I also noticed Quite a fewFungus gnats with the chicken 💩. All other amendments were not really affected by the fungus gnats.

Douglas.Curtis

Damn, this thread turned pretty sour pretty quick . We went from Good loving bunnies to good slaughtering bunnies. 😳
Anywho.. I don’t think I could ever eat a bunny, they are way too cute for that 😌
Hope it never gets to that point anyways.
See, now this is where the USA is rather weird and backward. Rabbit not only creates manure with the highest micro/trace element levels of all domesticated animals, it's arguably one of the leanest, most nutrient dense and 'healthy fats' meat animals you can find.

2 does, 2 bucks and 2 grow out cages will readily provide manure for a small family sized garden, and will also provide an average of 30lbs of clean, nutrient dense, harvest as needed without a freezer, meat per month. ;) You can easily house 8-10 rabbits in a spare bedroom as long as you clean daily and manage the urine. When properly dealt with the urine does not offgass ammonia and there's no smell. :)

You like fast food? I love it! I'm raising rabbit... how fast is your food? lol Cutest, tastiest, most amazing animal I've ever eaten, hands down. ;)

Edit: Afternoon dinner for family and company, fresh out of the oven. :) The main purpose of most rabbitries.

Attachments

• 20221023_142405.jpg
    20221023_142405.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:

little-soldier

Smoke report:
Tested chicken,rabbit,alpaca manure,EWC and gaya bloom(organic all purpose fertilizer)
Tested coco vs promix Too
Fed House and Garden coco and dirt
Final results are...
I have found chicken and rabbit manure to have no effect in terms of taste. Could be because they decomposed faster than all other amendments as far as i can tell. but i still waited over 2 weeks into flower To put the amendments in the pots. Anyways..
All other amendments had a faint extra taste to the smoke. Alpaca being the winner. Followed by the EWC and then the Gaya bloom.
My last crop was 100xbetter in terms of taste though. Probably because I used pure blend pro. Makes this crop Taste like im smoking something else completely but in a shitty way. Or maybe it’s because the seeds/original will always taste better then its clone. What do y’all think? I had this green crack clone that never tasted like it’s Original mother/seed before, as if the genes for those specific terpenes were lost in the cloning stage. While most others do so it’s weird.

little-soldier

Forgot to mention that promix wins in terms of taste too. I have found that amendements have next to no effects in coco in terms of taste.
Next run I’d like to try subcools supersoil vs coots mix in both promix and coco and feed water only.

Douglas.Curtis

I have found chicken and rabbit manure to have no effect in terms of taste. Could be because they decomposed faster than all other amendments as far as i can tell. but i still waited over 2 weeks into flower To put the amendments in the pots. Anyways..
While I appreciate your trying, you did put in too little to make a difference. I said up to 40%, and also mentioned a 2" topdress was the recommendation for spring. I would say the 'flavor' you're experiencing is from the organic bloom fertilizer you used.

You mentioned you would make teas if this did not work for you. Instead, I strongly recommend trying again with up to 40% poop in your soil, and then skipping the organic nutes. ;) If you need calcium the KNF method is really inexpensive and a superior supplement. A bit of epsom twice will also provide sulfur and magnesium if it looks needed.

Nannymouse

We have herds of wild rabbits and hares. They all show up in winter to poop in the yard, as they are looking for grain that is swept out of bird house. Looks like giant bags of cocopuffs got tossed. So, even though they are ferting the grass, it gripes me when they get tracked into the garage. So...i don't think they are all that cute.

I've read that bunny meat isn't a complete protein, and that you'd starve to death, if it was your only source of protein. No biggie, just add beans, ha. They always looked like a sink full of skinned cats (same with squirrel), whenever we'd prepare them for cooking. (not that i've skinned cats, but i've heard that there are many ways to do it) I've tried lots of different wild game.

I think that rats are cute, too. Doesn't hurt my little feelins to murder the little rat bastrds.

I'd put the bunny hutches right over the garden, in the 'fallow' spots. Just don't need more critters at this time. But did have a huge bunch when i was a kid. Yup, they reproduce a lot. Bunnies and pigeons are what i would recommend for 'survivalists'.

Douglas.Curtis

Rabbit meat is a complete protein, the problem is not enough fat on them in the wild. Llike you said, eating it with other food fixes the issue. Caribou is another meat which is lean enough to cause the same problems. On the other hand, the fat you get from kept rabbits is polyunsaturated, which makes for a nice clear oil when making gravy. None of the yellow saturated fats you find in chicken.

Rabbits can be kept out of areas you do not want them by chicken wire fencing. If they really want to get in they will dig, but you can stop that by using fencing on the ground, extending out from the fence almost 3 feet along the areas where they're trying it.

little-soldier

I like the fact that i didn’t have to put much alpaca to notice the difference in taste. Im growing indoor so tge 2 inch topdress would have been too much and same thing for 40%. It’s just not worth it for me if i have to use that much.
The organic fertilizer i have used was only used on 2 plants so anyways. Im sold on the alpaca and you should definitely try it and compare it yourself.
Im out and still would save a bunny from all your slaughtering asses anytime if i had the chance 😜

Cactus Squatter

While I appreciate your trying, you did put in too little to make a difference. I said up to 40%, and also mentioned a 2" topdress was the recommendation for spring. I would say the 'flavor' you're experiencing is from the organic bloom fertilizer you used.

You mentioned you would make teas if this did not work for you. Instead, I strongly recommend trying again with up to 40% poop in your soil, and then skipping the organic nutes. ;) If you need calcium the KNF method is really inexpensive and a superior supplement. A bit of epsom twice will also provide sulfur and magnesium if it looks needed.
I’m interested to give the Alapaca a run and see what the hubbub is about. I’m tired of paying for things and was recently given permission to pickup all the alpaca manure I could ever want. Some is straight alpaca, some is mostly alpaca with 10-15% goat and maybe 3-5% at most chicken from when they walk over the area. I doubt it’s even 5% chicken honestly. I’ve had the mixed manure composting for 3 months just to take any edge off of the goat and chicken in it.

What mix rate would you recommend I use the manure with recycled soil? I set my used soil aside for 3-4 months allowing the worms to go crazy eating and breeding in it. I feed the worms random fruit/pumpkin/watermelon/banana smoothies. This last batch of used soil I also put 5 gallons of pure alpaca manure into 40gal of soil and let the worms work it. Already that soil is way fluffier than previous reused soil mixes I’ve run.

Would you still recommend 40% manure in the reused soil along with a heavy top dress?
Do you usually run indicas and hybrids in that mix or have you run some pure sativas in it? I grow a lot of lighter feeding sativas.

I appreciate the info.

Or am I baked and you only use rabbit and I misread you also using alpaca somewhere? 😂

I also have access to rabbit manure, but nowhere near as much as I do alpaca.

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

You'll find the alpaca manure is more digested, as in almost completely. So you'll need less of it than other manures. Again, with alpaca you need to be careful about what plants it has access to, since salt grass and other plants will create plant killer alpaca manure. Not sure if composting will take care of that, since I've heard of people working with aged alpaca manure which still killed all their plants. This is the another reason I prefer rabbit over other manures is I know the inputs.

Nope, I do not use alpaca. I have done some research on it but have not personally used it, due to the above mentioned issues. I actually live in an area where I can get alpaca manure from many places, however it's the inputs thing and this area is not exactly 'great' for growing good fodder in the field.

So, if you've already amended the soil I'd only use 10-20% rabbit manure? Everything is situational so you'll be the best judge once you get rolling.

Worms are awesome... amazing molecular assembly factories. ;)

Cactus Squatter

You'll find the alpaca manure is more digested, as in almost completely. So you'll need less of it than other manures. Again, with alpaca you need to be careful about what plants it has access to, since salt grass and other plants will create plant killer alpaca manure. Not sure if composting will take care of that, since I've heard of people working with aged alpaca manure which still killed all their plants. This is the another reason I prefer rabbit over other manures is I know the inputs.

Nope, I do not use alpaca. I have done some research on it but have not personally used it, due to the above mentioned issues. I actually live in an area where I can get alpaca manure from many places, however it's the inputs thing and this area is not exactly 'great' for growing good fodder in the field.

So, if you've already amended the soil I'd only use 10-20% rabbit manure? Everything is situational so you'll be the best judge once you get rolling.

Worms are awesome... amazing molecular assembly factories. ;)

No salt grass in the diets of the alapaca I pick up from. That was one of the first things I asked about. No dewormers or other meds either. There was a 3rd alapaca farm I talked with but they did feed salt grass so I skipped them.

Latest posts

Latest posts