What's new

N-P-K Values?

L

lid

So I'm trying to figure out NPK values. An NPK value of 1-1-1 is 1%-1%-1% correct? So what is 100N-100P-200K-60Mg? 100%-100%-200%-60%? Can these number be reduced? (10-10-20-6)?Thanks in advance.

cannabisology

Hey man those numbers are totally messed up. Anything with 46% of its content taken up by N-P-K and Mg is an absolute garbage fertilizer. Probably some miracle grow or something. High P,K and Mg numbers obviously point towards a blossom builder but the presence of nitrogen is completely contradictory too current schools of thought on the role of nitrogen in the flowering process. Whatever it is I wouldn't give it to my plants with numbers like that and I don't think you should either. Let me know what the product is and I can definitely help you figure out a better alternative.

Jalisco Kid

Its looks like your first numbers are min. % in the formula and the other numbers would be ppm of the formula or some formula. JK

L

lid

Hey man those numbers are totally messed up. Anything with 46% of its content taken up by N-P-K and Mg is an absolute garbage fertilizer. Probably some miracle grow or something. High P,K and Mg numbers obviously point towards a blossom builder but the presence of nitrogen is completely contradictory too current schools of thought on the role of nitrogen in the flowering process. Whatever it is I wouldn't give it to my plants with numbers like that and I don't think you should either. Let me know what the product is and I can definitely help you figure out a better alternative.

100N-100P-200K-60Mg is recommended by Lucas.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
no no no...
the NPK values on the bottle or bag of Nutes is the % contained in the product. What Lucas is listed as PPM of each of the elements needed.

it always goes like this... N then P then K but then it gets confusing casue some do Ca next and some do Mg next or viseversa.

So then Lucas is 100 100 200 all in PPMs of each element.

Edit :the part i didnt communicate properly to avoid confusion and my part of bad info...

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
So then Lucas is 100 100 200 all in PPMs BUT, and here's the Kicker, he has these numbers in the .7 conversion. But in USA we use .5 conversion... So then.

so it's off to the advanced search bar for you

You are really confused, and spreading bad information.

Lucas/Ph/Melfranks recommend 100N 100P 200K elemental ppm. There is no conversion.

The 'conversion' you speak of is related to 'ppm meters' however 'PPM meters' do not measure ppm, they measure electrical conductivity.
most meters are capable of displaying (or force) a superfluous 'conversion' that has nothing to do with actual elemental ppm levels. This is why smart growers post the ec levels, not the ppm levels, it eliminates confusion.

Try to not post about things you dont understand.

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
You are really confused, and spreading bad information.

Lucas/Ph/Melfranks recommend 100N 100P 200K elemental ppm. There is no conversion.

The 'conversion' you speak of is related to 'ppm meters' however 'PPM meters' do not measure ppm, they measure electrical conductivity.
most meters are capable of displaying (or force) a superfluous 'conversion' that has nothing to do with actual elemental ppm levels. This is why smart growers post the ec levels, not the ppm levels, it eliminates confusion.

Try to not post about things you dont understand.

I second this entire post... :yes::yes:

If you're measuring your water, use EC. Anything else is a conversion based on EC.

If you're figuring out specific nutrient concentrations, use ppm... because that's what it is.

I have seen so much confusion stem from people misunderstanding ppm and EC, both how they work and what they mean.

Here's an example...

Let's use Dyna-Gro Liquid Grow (7-9-5) as our example product.
You can find the specific nutrient percentages as listed on the bottle @ their website, here.

The volume and weight aren't supplied there, but DynaGro is happy to share that information, and it should be on the bottles themselves. Using that info, and plugging the numbers into the calculator I linked to earlier, you get this...
picture.php

This is the actual amount of nutrients you'd be giving your plants @ 10ml/gallon.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
So I'm trying to figure out NPK values. An NPK value of 1-1-1 is 1%-1%-1% correct? So what is 100N-100P-200K-60Mg? 100%-100%-200%-60%? Can these number be reduced? (10-10-20-6)?Thanks in advance.

the problem is that P and K are calculated as P2O5 and K2O (Where as N and everything else is calculated as the single element).

If you check your periodic tables, you see the atomic weight of P is 31 K 39 and O 16 (approx).
So P2O5 is (31)2+(16)5=142
But of the 142, only (31)2=62 of it is P.
62/142= 43.6%
(61.947522/141.944522=.436420)

So only 43.6% of the P is represented in the NPK

As for K, K2O is (39)2+(16)=94
Of the 94, only (39)2=79 of it is K
79/94=84%
(79.1966/94.196=.8407639)

and only 84% of the K is represented in the NPK

These calculations are done for you in the CannaStats calculator, but sometimes its nice to understand why the numbers come out the way they do.

so if you want a 100N 100P 200K
you need something with a label like
1.5-3.5-4 or 3-7-8

I use Pure Blend Pro Bloom Soil 1.5-4-5
1.0625 grams/ml
@10ml/Gal
N 42
P 49
K 116
Mg 14
Ca 28

and/or a combination of CNS Ripe which is 1-5-4

one Q

Quality
Veteran
yup. You are right.

I guess I just sort of spewed a quick version of what I understood. But what you guys said is spot on.

:shucks: