What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My dog has fleas

SpayceRayce

Bonus points if you sang / hummed the title to this thread.

Took the bitch to vets today for yrly shots, nail trim and we thought she had a touch of mange. Wrong. My little girl has fleas. FLEAS! Vet said my kid prob brought them in from one of his buddies houses, in sleeping bag or coats. She is normally very friendly, but by shot #3 was ready to take vets hand off (she was muzzled, but really spun and tried). Vets assistant said she also wasn't too thrilled at nail clipping either, but to be fair, it was after shots, and flea diagnosis.

Wouldn't even take bribe treat for her troubles until after we left vets.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
maybe her nails were a bit too over grown,, it can cause a tiny bit of pain and the nails to bleed a bit when they get a bit too long and are clipped,,

using a tea tree flea shampoo or something wouldnt hurt,,

SpayceRayce

Thanks guys. Vet hit us for $350 for shots, clipping and flea nuke. Ouch, but she is a good dog, and we missed her shots last yr, so it averages out OK. She's a pound pooch, brought in as a stray from Louisiana a year after the hurricane. Smart, strong, protective. Everything a good dog should be.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You know I just started ordering beneficial nematodes to treat my lawn and plants with cuz they kill a whole list of this including fleas and the website I noticed tons of people reviewing saying they buy it to treat their animals for fleas and a lot say it works better than really expensive flea meds. Might be worth a try.

I've been buying here:

http://www.arbico-organics.com/

Bunz

I keep both of my dogs on Advantix year round and spray the yard bi-annually. Haven't had fleas in years.

Bunz :D

SpayceRayce

You know I just started ordering beneficial nematodes to treat my lawn and plants with cuz they kill a whole list of this including fleas and the website I noticed tons of people reviewing saying they buy it to treat their animals for fleas and a lot say it works better than really expensive flea meds. Might be worth a try.

I've been buying here:

http://www.arbico-organics.com/
Trying to get my head this. Would I spray her, put it in food or water. Sorry, not being smartass, just puzzled.

I keep both of my dogs on Advantix year round and spray the yard bi-annually. Haven't had fleas in years.

Bunz :D
That's what vet gave us. 6 treatment pack, she'll need one in 3 weeks,then 1 a month after that. 3 left for Fall months.

billycw

Veteran
We use dawn dish soap when they come in to get the adults off then FiproGuard(genaric frontline) after bath. The fiproguard works for the month to kill off the eggs and babies. Its half as much as frontline and is identical.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I use frontline for ticks up here in mn, it controls fleas also. my dog needed a surgery & upon examination by the vet he told me she had fleas, ticks were non-existent up here this year and so I didn't use frontline but once mid summer as a precaution.

A friend of mine brought those fleas over here from his g/f's house which was well infested by his own admission. I cured the issue by using frontline, washing all the bedding, vacuuming her bedding areas like crazy and spraying with Ace Hardware brand 'Flea & Tick Killer', I sprayed my couch and bed area as well, a few hours later I couldn't smell or detect the stuff. I got them the first try, lucky me & best luck to you SR.

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
I buy Advantage flea drops for my dog from the vet and treat him once a month. No problems.

Midnight

Veteran
I buy Advantage flea drops for my dog from the vet and treat him once a month. No problems.

That has a pesticide in it called Imidacloprid. Imidacloprid is also the main ingredient in a lot of pest control products for plants. It does control the hell out of fleas though.