What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My Arduino based Grow controller

My power distribution center. The only pieces I bought were the relays, other stuff was laying around. Three of the ten small relays control three large contactors for high current devices.

power.jpg

A security system is my next project.

jayjayfrank

Veteran
awesome meadows! thanks for sharing! very appreciated!

during your build was there any particular thing you found hard to get working? or maybe a little known library that made things easier? thanks for your time.

I didn't have any major issues, no smoke, sparks, or shocks. I found it much easier and a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. The biggest regret I have is not doing it sooner.

This thread helped inspire me.

I need some help with setting up/reading time from my RT1302 real time clock.
I finally managed to set it up and it kept well for some hours then it got bad again, with hour values over 24 coming up at random.
If you got any tips, links or sample code please reply or contact me.

I'm using an arduino UNO r3.
It uses an ntp server via ethernet for timekeeping, no rtc.
If you have internet access for your arduino then getting the time via nts is the way everyone does it.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
If anybody has code or libraries that work with any rtc, please post them. The only time i managed to set it up, it only kept the time well for some hours. Also tried another rtc and i didn't managed to do any better. Any help will be appreciated.

LSWM

Just embarked on this mission. I've got various sensors + WiFi components for a modified arduino called IBoard for wireless sensing. Also have a raspberry pi coming I intend to use as a control hub.

I'd like to at some point have wireless/internet information display/control from my phone. A security system that alerts me of intruders would be easy to set up as well.

DpoiNT

Man i was hoping this thread would bealive.. I have been researching and ive seen few of them.. I like where things were going here and would like to see from more fellow nerd growers what their doing..

Ive allready order few of the basic stuff the i need such ad heat senser R Pi, plugs and wires..

I have been hierd to program a sutable system for a large grow room, would arduino uno handle it? That is: fans and blowers, moister, water-nutrissions with ec ph driping system and much more.. Were talking maybe about 7 large blower for example.. 600l water every third day..

I would use a timer for the lights but use light sensors to get feetback if if they are on/off..

My question, is arduino with Raspberry pi hub the right choose for a large scale grow..?

Lets keep this thing a life guys!!

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

Well, I am working on my arduino/pc greenhouse controller using 1-wire devices.

Thus far I have managed a working monitor but no control mechanism algorithm's yet.

I am at a loss when it comes to coding in C#/winforms. I can manage the C code for the arduino as it is a basic system.

The Visual Studio IDE is still a learning curve. So, at any rate, I am still messing with coding. Back in the day of Fortran, we used to use punch cards (yes I am barely old enough to have used them) for coding.

Somewhere else on this forum is the coding I have done so far.

There is little in the way of error handling and is far from elegant. It is to this end I am currently working resolve the code. Then the plan is to expand to include more devices along with the corresponding control functionality.

minds_I

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Man i was hoping this thread would bealive.. I have been researching and ive seen few of them.. I like where things were going here and would like to see from more fellow nerd growers what their doing..

Ive allready order few of the basic stuff the i need such ad heat senser R Pi, plugs and wires..

I have been hierd to program a sutable system for a large grow room, would arduino uno handle it? That is: fans and blowers, moister, water-nutrissions with ec ph driping system and much more.. Were talking maybe about 7 large blower for example.. 600l water every third day..

I would use a timer for the lights but use light sensors to get feetback if if they are on/off..

My question, is arduino with Raspberry pi hub the right choose for a large scale grow..?

Yes, arduino will handle everything you want and much more. For more inputs and outputs you should get the Mega 2560, but for learning I suggest you use an Arduino UNO cheap copy from China, as there is some risk for a newbie or high person to fry the board or some of the pins of the board.
I'm experimenting with arduino too, so far separate from a pc. I'm thinking of adding network sometime in the future, but i need to secure access somehow before deploying network.

And thank you minds_I for inspiring me to start this journey. so far it has been very fun and interesting. Simply working on a project, which is almost play when you know the basics, can result in great new ideeas/functions for the hardware.

LSWM

Arduino will handle this but there are more purpose driven hardware for this task. Its all about what you want as an end goal. Xbee devices have built in rf and 2.4ghz that run similar arduino code.

Another nifty device I found was the iboard which has a built in socket specific for the nrf24 WiFi module.

It became apparent to me quickly that xbee would be the easiest to setup but also pricier than Chinese copies of different arduinos. You will more than likely need 1 arduino per location in the garden, but it can perform a variety of tasks.

Then those will communicate to a hub which could be a desktop, RPI, or arduino. In my version the hub controls everything else and the individual stations only have minimal code for relaying information and performing activities. It'd be smart to include some fail safe code here if the network connection were to fail somehow.

Using an RPI or desktop with pure data or max map running could provide a GUI which the user could access from the local network or even over the web. It could present information and the user could change parameters from any internet connected device. Its possible to use arduino to do this but certainly not the best choice.

Back in the day of Fortran, we used to use punch cards (yes I am barely old enough to have used them) for coding.

minds_I

I remember punching out the cards in the basement of one building then taking the stack to another building to run it.

Error checking is the tedious part of programming. I need to work on preventing hot starting of lamps if the power cycles for some reason.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i used to use a 300 baud acoustic coupled modem... screech i still love the sound of the two modems finally negotiating a connection, very satisfying in a weird way

Redeye_Joe

Anyone know if there is a simi complete project I can open source. I would love to have the time to contribute on a new project but time is killing me right now, setting up large grow and I am swamped. But I would love to have some way to remotely control or monitor garden. I am used to pcb board building but new to arduino. I am excited at the possibilities. i would like to know temp and humidity, with logging. pump control and ph/tdc ect? pretty simple but would like to be able to control or monitor more in the future. Seen there are a couple of projects out there, but would like to know if anyone knows of a fairly complete one that has internet capabilities and possible phone app??

Redeye_Joe

If you're looking for a quick solution, try https://www.atlas-scientific.com

They make most things you may need for your project with code.

Thanks for the link, I am not really looking for the commercial in a box type of thing. Really want to do it much cheaper. Not sure if that is possible. But I really want to find a open source "free" way to buy minimum components and use someone elses time to get a jump start and learn it all as I go. I have lots of experience with design of pcb boards and I am sure eventually I will be able to contribute quite a bit once I get into it and have more time, hopefully soon. I am just looking for a good base jump cliff to jump from... :)

LSWM

Thanks for the link, I am not really looking for the commercial in a box type of thing. Really want to do it much cheaper. Not sure if that is possible. But I really want to find a open source "free" way to buy minimum components and use someone elses time to get a jump start and learn it all as I go. I have lots of experience with design of pcb boards and I am sure eventually I will be able to contribute quite a bit once I get into it and have more time, hopefully soon. I am just looking for a good base jump cliff to jump from... :)

Arduino will handle this but there are more purpose driven hardware for this task. Its all about what you want as an end goal. Xbee devices have built in rf and 2.4ghz that run similar arduino code.

Another nifty device I found was the iboard which has a built in socket specific for the nrf24 WiFi module.

It became apparent to me quickly that xbee would be the easiest to setup but also pricier than Chinese copies of different arduinos. You will more than likely need 1 arduino per location in the garden, but it can perform a variety of tasks.

Then those will communicate to a hub which could be a desktop, RPI, or arduino. In my version the hub controls everything else and the individual stations only have minimal code for relaying information and performing activities. It'd be smart to include some fail safe code here if the network connection were to fail somehow.

Using an RPI or desktop with pure data or max map running could provide a GUI which the user could access from the local network or even over the web. It could present information and the user could change parameters from any internet connected device. Its possible to use arduino to do this but certainly not the best choice.

Hopefully this info can help you ask some more specific questions. I've already gone quite a ways down this rabbit hole, but broke my Iboard a month or two ago and haven't continued with the progress. I'm going to order a couple more in the weeks to come.