What's new

My adventures with DJ Short Breeders Choice Mix 1 and 4 , Pheno Hunt, Living Soil Sip

Happy Times

Hi All! I would like to invite you all to follow along on my Dj Short pheno hunt, semi open pollination, all in a living soil! I’ll try to post some good pics and document this grow.

I’ll be growing out a 16 pack of each of the…

Breeders Choice Mix 1 - FL Floral Side “ Happy Pussy” x F13

Breeders Choice Mix 4 - XP Potent Productive side that my understanding is basically “ Blue Moonshine”

Around 2006 I grew a pack each of Blue Moonshine and F-13, That was one of the most memorable grows of all my grows over the years! My buddies still talk about it and I haven’t had anything ring my bell quite like it since!

I found the original blue moonshine 2006 to have a very enjoyable muscle relaxing effect that also seemed to be a creeper high that came in waves. Also seemed to enhance music! Hashy fruity with that DJS background is what I remember. My lady likes indica and this was her personal favorite of all time! She asked me to grow Dj short again as that was what I had when we first met!

I remember going to a small local snoop dog concert where I brought in a big joint of the moonshine, I was about 20ft from snoop on a raised balcony. I took in the biggest drag that I could and blew it straight at snoop! He stopped and said “ eeeww wee eeeww wee sticky icky in da house!

The F-13 2006, there were several great phenos, and in this I found what I still believe to be the best plant I’ve ever grown, my goat, the one that got away! It was an all green pheno with one main spear shaped bud. The high was super electric with visual tracers and up up up and away! The flavor was kinda like a spicy church incense that was both pleasant and decadent to me. If I could pick one plant to have kept all this time this would be it! I loved the f-13 but I don’t expect to find this pheno here but I still hope to find something really good however it comes!

My selection criteria is for both potency and how it makes me feel, at the top of the list. When I say potency, I can look past stuff that has a bland type of high potency or has low tolerance or short duration. I’m my mind I wrap all these factors up into the catagory of potency, I want something that cuts right through other smoke, potent, long duration, low tolerance, feel great etc.,, I personally don’t put much weight on flavor, as long as it’s enjoyable and has a great high that’s what I’m interested in. Yield is also not much of a concern to me as long as it’s practical enough to grow!

Today starts germination using the Mel Frank method of paper towels stuck on the side of a bowl! Here we go…

I would like to invite some friends to follow! @dubi @Miraculous Meds @Hasch @FeelHaze @Maria Sanchez @Koondense @Cactus Squatter @goingrey @Hmong @El Timbo @weedsmoker420 @early_hominid @MrHamilton @Tangwena @Stoneroller

View attachment 19002806 View attachment 19002807 View attachment 19002808 View attachment 19002809 View attachment 19002810 View attachment 19002811 View attachment 19002812 View attachment 19002813
Good luck with the hunt and appreciate your documenting and sharing!

Did that old holy grail F13 not clone easily? A buddy had one once that had like 0 side branching. I wanted to bug him for a cut but there was nothing there to cut off lol

tjmccoy

Veteran
Good luck with the hunt and appreciate your documenting and sharing!

Did that old holy grail F13 not clone easily? A buddy had one once that had like 0 side branching. I wanted to bug him for a cut but there was nothing there to cut off lol

Thank you for the well wishes! I didn’t have the foresight then to clone it, I pollinated a branch and that was it. I kept them going a few generations and crossed to a Johnny blaze, I tried to pop these seeds not long ago but poor storage couldn’t get even one to pop out of hundreds. Ohh well hopefully I will find something in these!

Ohh and yes this one had almost no side branching just one spear shaped cola completely coated in resin, a sleeper that I had no idea it would be the one! A couple other ones had more color and foxtail structure these were really good too!

Dirt Life

Veteran
Hey, I'll follow along! I grew the BCM #1, and found a very nice berry colorful and resin-y male and used him for some crosses. I had great results from pairing the BCM with a great Haze/Skunk I kept for over a decade. I hope you don't mind me posting two pics...

BCM #1 male - edit: I'm having problems with my albums, so, here's the best pic that will actually load.. 🫤

full

and here's the Hz/Sk/BCM1 -

full

And if I could give any advice on the BCM1 crosses is that the crosses will be incredibly BCM dominant. I actually did a BX away from the BCM on one of my crosses just to (hopefully) get a little more mixing... I ordered and have tried to germinate several of MM's gear (Blue star), but, unfortunately I haven't been able to get any to crack.. still have a bunch though. :)

Good luck to you @tjmccoy, and I look forward to seeing things in the near future. 👍

tjmccoy

Veteran
@Dirt Life So cool Thanks for posting your experience with bc1! I’m curious about any information or experiences with these! Post away! Awesome 😎

Did you grow out all 16? Any keeper fems? Good to know your male is dominate I wouldn’t have expected that. How does it smoke/feel for you? That plant pictured looks very f-13 to me

Thanks for following!

Last edited:

tjmccoy

Veteran
I wanted to post up an awesome germination report but…. 🤷‍♂️

Well germination not going as planned! I hope I don’t end up with egg on my face here 🍳!

It’s been one week now…

Got 13 of 16 of the BC4 up and already open and green, 3 seeds not still in towel

Getting zero germination on the BC1 same exact method for both, looks like some cracked then stalled idk 🤷‍♂️ super frustrating! I’m betting the BC1 are quite a bit older? Maybe 2018 6 plus years?

What do you guys think? Hang in there with the paper towel, try to put in media or trash them?

BC1 not germinating for me 😢
2AFD77BD-5D03-4059-84CE-7907D6E4D5ED.jpeg

13 BC4 are up

A90E98A9-6F4D-4C25-9A85-C40D28CD43F4.jpeg

Had a mishap today, reminded to check your grow, playing with water and power can be dangerous! So I flushed out the reservoir and I thought I unplugged the aquarium heater but I got the cords mixed up, anyway it burned a whole in the bottom of the res! 🤦‍♂️
69CCDF35-F75A-4C36-98AB-3AC4B3FA2EB3.jpeg

BC4 germination
DCA6EF3D-E37F-4E00-B63C-0912D5E0C3D6.jpeg

This is the method I used, been having trouble germination directly into media so I tried paper towels again this time, I followed instructions from Mel frank on this time. The towel is stuck to the side of a bowl with the bottom in the water to wick and not dry out. I feel like maybe still kept them too wet. I used to get 100% direct in soil now can’t seem to get that to save my life! I’m probably over thinking it idk 🤷‍♂️
0D60361D-36C6-4CEB-9E18-AEC6A24135E7.jpeg

SunnyListon

Dont give up on them! At the moment, that you think: "This seed will not make it" put it into a cup of worm castings, not too wet! Had once a 30 - 40 year old seed, that came up after two months in the wormcastings, after the paper towel did not work.
But whatever you do, dont do it too wet! Then mold will come. Change your water daily, take good water and choose a good ph.
It will sprout. 6 plus years is nothing of age for a seed.