What's new

Moving To North Cali

JUSTJR27

Hello everyone I am from South Florida and have been growing for some time now indoors and am looking to move out of Florida and move to Cali. I'm just tired of Florida and having to hide and being afraid for your freedom to be taken from you bc of your needs for meds.

Any ways looking to get some info to get a better idea of where to move to. I want to continue doing indoor which is what I have been doing for a while and would like to have a at least 80 plants 40 in veg and 40 in flower. What would be the best county for this. Also what is quality indoor going for right now a lbs.

Please chime in with all info you can Thank you.

Lots of good options in Nor Cal. Laws are changing rapidly though with the new legislation last summer on medical and recreational soon to come. It's really county by county. Even many municipalities are banning. Bay area is expensive. The Valley (I-5, hwy 99) sucks and is very hot. The foothills are nice and pretty affordable. Then you got the triangle where about anything goes if you have the cash and can find a spot.

If you are just talking indoor under 100 plants its not that big a deal. esp since you are already used to living in fear in the dirty south (been there done that). Keep in mind we have the second highest electric rates in the country. Im paying .34 cents per KWH. Where I'm at in the foothills units of good indoor are going for $2200-2400 depending on strain and final destination.

A lot depends on how much money you have to move with, if you have kids that need school, do you want to live in the boonies 2 hours from the closest gas station, etc. What requirements do you have in the real world? Hopefully others can chime in too.

JUSTJR27

Rolling S. thanks for the reply. I do have small kids and they would need to go to school I wouldnt mind driving like 30 mins to take them to school just cant be in the boonies even tho I would like to bc cant of wife & kids.

I want to be some want legit thats the reason I'm thinking about moving just tired of looking over my shoulder. I heard that you could grow up to 99 plants and still be legal under state and federal law. I want to set up a 40 plant 8K flower room & 40 plant 2K veg room.

I would be fine selling a unit for 2k so thats not a issue. I always keep a few units per grow for myself bc I smoke a lot. I myself have to stay lit all day just to be able to move around all day due to two hernatied disc L4/L5 and a knee that I smashed the outer layer of bone and I have to smoke to be able to sleep a full nite plus wifey has a herniated disc on her cervical. So yea we both smoke a lot lol.

I'm looking to rent at first maybe a house with de-attached garage so I would have to find a land lord that would be cool with it.

I have like 15K that I can use to make the move.

Thanks again RS for chiming in

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
stay put bro ....your in a way better market....I lived in south florida before moving to so cal....yeehaw....so you know what a square grouper is then huh???..I lost atleast 50% income coming here..then theres the crazy prices on gas,electricity and such...cali is getting ready to flip the script and it is gonna get ugly..IMHO,,peeps move here then end up shipping out of state if they don't wanna get lowballed...tier 3 is costing me almost 40cents KWH..well I fixed that lol...the grass might be greener but the competition is everywhere and the end price low....you can grow half as much there and do as good or better than here in cali....aint sayin no more ..good luck

JUSTJR27

Yea dude I know what a square grouper is LOL!! I come from a commercial fishing family and my father and uncle loaded there share :-}

I'm fine with not getting the same money per unit as long as I dont have to worry about having to spend 15 years in prison for growing a plant :-{ not looking to become a millonare over night just tiring to grow my meds in peace and be able to sell my left overs to needy people.

I dont have a fam and ive already spent twice as much as that on startup this year [but im also doing outdoor] Pinch your pennies, be frugal, and pull off a bumper crop, people out here like to charge first last and deposit just for a rental. Rare to find something otherwise. Rentals in the triangle you cant even get for 15k cash usually I wouldnt look there until you are established somewhere here.

JUSTJR27

Thank you guys for replying I really appreciate it. I am really only looking for a 2 bedroom house with a detached garage to start with right now. I just want it to be somewhere quite and peaceful really not want to be in the city or in the bonnie's either. I have a lot of the equipment except for cooling.

What are the summer/winter temps up in North Cali?

It also depends on the county. Theres a lot of microclimates here.

Norml.org has county laws, maybe look there first, but lots of changes happening, then check average temps. Thats what I did for my current spot.

You also have to factor in cost of moving all your stuff. Then 3 months overhead.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
new cali mmj laws take effect in 2018 with limits on square footage of cultivation space instead of plant counts and are intended to protect the coming recreational market.
the new regulations will make it hard to get a medical card and very tough on Drs to write recs.

prop215 medical in Cali dies in 2018 unless the recreational ballot measure fails again and they don't implement the new plan which was signed into law last year.

you will not be able to get a medical permit then without huge money upfront and the new rules insure only big money gets a license to grow.

mmj cultivation permits in 2018 begin with local town and county permits first before you can apply to the state for a license.

personal medical homegrown are limited to a 10' x 10' area which is actually pretty generous if you consider what 4-5000 watts could do indoors but it's not so good for outdoor or greenhouse.

the new medical and recreational laws are designed so helicopter surveillance will be able to quickly tell who is in compliance from the air based on size of patch not number of plants.
all the traditional outdoor we are used to seeing here will be easy to shut down and they have put new felonies into the rules to try to stop the diversion out of state.

look into RI, they actually have a shortage now as they are suppling much of the MASS market as well.

oct

Stoned trout hit the nail on the head. Grass is always greener. Unless your prepared to stay in cahoots with your market back home, stay put.

oct

And Florida has been looking a lot more pro medical. I wouldn't be suprised if by the time you got well established here, it would be taking off there.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
It's up in the air with the next election. But Counties and cities have the power to pass and enforce local ordinances. So local authoritarians are working hard to suppress that which they don't understand. Everyone hoped that legalization would allow us freedom, but they need victims to feed the machine. Gotta have a self financing police state. They aren't going to let that go. Sucks. We thought the feds were the worst, but the local enforcers will sniff you out to keep their budgets fat.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm from Florida too. I moved here from Orlando in 2010 when it looked like California would be the first legal recreational state.

The peace of mind that comes with growing your own legally, there's nothing else like it. I wouldn't move here specifically (San Jose) without a high paying job in the tech industry. I don't think I'd make it out here as a commercial grower. The rent here (1 bedroom apartment) is going up to $2400 next month. A 2 bedroom house with a detached garage would be $3500 or $4000 a month, at least. Other areas in northern California are cheaper, but not Florida cheap.