What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Motorcycles

mayorofthdesert

i'm a bike guy. been riding since 18 with only a few years bikeless when i was poor, got a girlfriend and needed to drive her around so i traded my vfr500 interceptor for a vw bug. right now my main ride is a kawasaki zrx1200 & i have several vintage projects. a 73 norton comando cafe that needs it's ignition problems sorted. then there's the one that really has my heart, a 75 kaw h2 mach IV. it's a 3 cylinder 2 stroke 750. was the maddeset thing on the road at the times. it's getting everything, chambers, porting, flat slide carbs, etc..

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I enjoy researching engineering/innovation really heavily (bikes, cars, trucks, boats, planes, rockets, alternative fuel etc). In terms of more modern bikes im really into the Kawasaki Zx10r, its the zx6r frame with a 1000cc 160hp engine weighing only 370lbs. Comparative performance to the Hayabusa 1300 cc at 9.7 second quarter mile potential but almost 200lbs lighters and much smaller more agile frame.

Anyone remember the 1966-1967 Honda rc166 DOHC 250cc inline 6? Making 65 hp at only 250cc it would be equivalent to making 260hp per liter. Designed and engineered by Soichiro Honda himself.

picture.php

Bike Weighed only ~250lbs with a DOHC six cylinder engine at 245 cc. Each piston displaced a little under 41 cc from a bore of 41 mm and a stroke of 31 mm. In cubic inches, the entire engine displaced a little over 15-cu.in. Six Keihin 22-mm round-slide carburetors fed the six cylinders via five tiny jets. The engine had effectively no flywheel to speak of and it revved to nearly 20,000 RPM making 65 HP. In conjunction with a seven speed gearbox, it propelled the RC166’s tiny frame to a top speed of well over 150 MPH. To minimize flex and maximize inertial efficiency, camshafts were barrel shaped, concentrating their mass at the center—this meant that each valve’s geometry varied wildly from one cylinder to the next, with different lobe shapes for each one. Many oil passages are as narrow as half a millimeter, unseen except through the use of x-rays.

picture.php

With a crankshaft made of 13 separate components, each no larger than a domino, it was said to be so delicate that it could easily be deformed by hand, yet held up to the astronomical forces exerted upon it when spinning 333 times per second. This was only made possible by the use of incredibly precise construction jigs that allowed the crank to be assembled with the kind of accuracy normally reserved for achieving space flight. Ludovic Surcin, designer of the jigs, likened the task to balancing thirteen billiard balls on top of each other and then making sure they stay put.

The quality of construction and engineering needed to achieve such amazing complexity and miniaturization is simply mind-boggling, especially considering it came from an age when designers relied on slide rules and drafting tables—the age of computer-aided design was still well over a decade away.

Last edited:

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
i got a 82 superglide shovelhead with 17 hangers wide glide front custom landed alota ass on that in my early 20s also got a 1990 dr 650 for when on/off road

Last edited:

shithawk420

Veteran
All I got is a 73 Honda cb 450.recently had my Baja warrior with a new 212 predator stolen.im gonna kill that junkie if I ever see him again.srs

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Street Glide. S&S pipe. Screamin' Eagle cans. DynoJet tuner and a few other goodies. First bike was a Honda 400-4 in '76. Owned one of the first FZ 750 in 87. Always admired British bikes but never owned, especially the Norton Commando. My brother had a BSA Goldstar (single 500) that could launch you over the handlebars or brake your ankle trying to start. Liked that one.
picture.php

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
All I got is a 73 Honda cb 450.recently had my Baja warrior with a new 212 predator stolen.im gonna kill that junkie if I ever see him again.srs

i hate theives i always put the work in aint asking nobody for nothing if i cant get it on my own

Last edited:

shithawk420

Veteran
Yeah,it's black.brother dropped the bike so had to get another shifter.cost $75.only thing not mint is a dent in the gas tank.anyone know a fix for that?

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
A suction panel puller, about$10, should pull it out ...hopefully the paint is not cracked

shithawk420

Veteran
The bike is at a friend's house for storage but I don't think the paint is cracked.did a roofing job for it.it was kept in a barn.think it's got 7000 miles top.its not too bad of a dent I don't think.havent seen it in a year lol thanks Bush Dr.

Man I remember you from back in the day.good to see you still around sir.ill take a pic later.also a pic of my uncle's 650 yamaha.i think it's an 85 or 86.i gotta ask him

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
74 Honda 450 is still a “Black Bomber”

This is my CCM supermoto with a DR 650 engine bored out to 710 and fitted with a full race cam

Attachments

• 89B33FB0-AC7C-4C48-B287-31A953BB5BDA.jpg
    89B33FB0-AC7C-4C48-B287-31A953BB5BDA.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 78

shithawk420

Veteran
Wow that's been modded and looks newer than a 74.ill take pics later today.its probably dusty with hay.its stored in a horse trailer lol long story but I'll get pics.thanks Doc

shithawk420

Veteran
Ahh,just called my dad.the electric starts but the kick doesn't.it was in a barn for 30 years and before I bought the bike the drunk owner dropped it.it needs work but I'm gonna fix her up.it shouldn't be to hard or pricey.i should get pics today

shithawk420

Veteran
So is that a black bomber? It's a kick-ass bike for it's time.im guessing 250 for a new seat.any info is appreciated. More of a car guy