What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

More bud exposure to air = more terpene degradation?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
65 is about the lower limit, and below that will thicken the sugars in the sap and slow things down.

I prefer about 66-67 incoming air temps, so the canopy is about 68-69. With RH around 20%, transpiration rates are maxed and you can use a very low feed level. ;)

Three Berries

My last plant I cut I hung in a small room with the dehumidifier running at 65% and got some bud rot. I usually run at 50%.

But when I did my final trim and strip I put the buds in a 5 gal bucket and let them sit for three weeks. It's what I'm smoking now. I usually jar and freeze them.

CO2 being heavier than air would accumulate in a open half full bucket while allowing the water to evaporate and keeping the O2 away.

Three Berries

When we use to vac pac the chopped lettuce bags, they would first vac down, flood with CO2, then vac down again, then give it a short shot of CO2 and seal.

Obviously a vacuum would allow the lighter aromatics to vapor away easier so limit the time under vacuum.

browntrout

Veteran
When we use to vac pac the chopped lettuce bags, they would first vac down, flood with CO2, then vac down again, then give it a short shot of CO2 and seal.

Obviously a vacuum would allow the lighter aromatics to vapor away easier so limit the time under vacuum.

As a person who works with vacuum to de-gas and de-hydrate petroleum products, I find this quite interesting.

I’m sure Vacuum certainly will pull volatile chemicals/compounds and moisture from plant material, although in the short time it’s used it wouldn’t be much.

Vacuum removes moisture and gases much quicker under heat. And below +10c water freezes in vacuum. If vacuum curing, I would definitely refrigerate the product before/during the pull down to avoid losing any chemicals/compounds/aromatics.

little-soldier

Browntrout, stop trying to mind fuck me ok lol. Tell a shrink 30% feels more humid than 50% RH and they might lock you up. It’s like this dude today telling me after pressing 500 grams of resin he ended up with 700 grams. It’s simply impossible. Don’t try to argue, you just sound more insane and then i simply have to ask.. who are you trying to convince..me or YOU?

Anyways after growing in the heat and humidity of the summer, you will never grow In a environment with a temp lower than 80 degrees. Plants just explode with 85 degrees and 70% humidity. Why do you all think the biggest/fastest growing trees are in the tropics. I’m hoping live terpenes evaporates at a higher temperature than when they are dry. And pretty sure they do so I’ll keep growing with VPD with temps of 85 and get huge buds while yà’ll waste your money on boosters and see next to no difference cause i tried them ALL.
But anyways don’t believe me cause I’m just a liar trying to make you save money On marketing hyped garbage lol

Three Berries

Jarring at room temp them putting into a freezer, like I do, should create some lower pressure in the jar. Maybe it's better to cool to final temp then seal the jar?

little-soldier

Indeed Grapefruitroop, seems like you did your homework. Now would there be a way to liquify that live rosin so i can spray it back onto my dried buds?I was wondering if there is such a way to do something like that.

Ca++

This always falls on deaf ears. Moisture content is the key to taste. The moisture dissolves the tastes so they can be absorbed. Lower moisture levels is dust. Ever had a good tasting meal in-flight? No, because it's too dry on an plane. Your taste buds are not going to receive it, as they are themselves dry.

The best tasting spliff is the one smoked in the moisture stream from a humidifier.
The best tasting joint is one rolled when it's dry enough, and then wet again with a drip or two painted along it.
The first half of a joint tastes best. The first draw after getting lit properly is the very best. The last half... meh. Why? the last half has been dried out. The taste has not evaporated away though, like is the accepted bro science. No, it's just dried out. Wet it.

Nobody will... They never do... So people sit about in dry rooms with dry weed moaning it lacks taste.
Google it, but forget looking at weed results. We are blinkered to the truth, by the notion the smell has evaporated. I'm not sure how any vape owner could be told different though, they know what tastes come off at different temperatures. Vapes don't even bother with room temperatures.

Blinkered...

little-soldier

Ca++, thank you for trying to educate me and you are right, dry weed looses its taste. Everyone knows that, now tell me something i don’t know cause my weed never goes dry. Tried 62%, 65%, 68%. Also tried lower than 62% but I digress... nothing compares to a quick 4-5 days dry. It’s a little rough to the throat but man that taste is banging

Grapefruitroop

Indeed Grapefruitroop, seems like you did your homework. Now would there be a way to liquify that live rosin so i can spray it back onto my dried buds?I was wondering if there is such a way to do something like that.
I think that if you want to go that way you probably would have to spray non cannabis derived terpens o it but.....seems like cheating to me! eheh
nothing compares to a quick 4-5 days dry
do you mean smoking it after only 5 days of dryng at 60s? or dry it in just 5 days? at what rh?
have you tried different genetics?

Montuno

...como el Son...
To me it’s extremely logical, because you can physically feel and see it. When you take bud that’s dried to 50% within a 50% RH environment it feels dry. When you move it to a 30% environment within hours it feels much more supple, less rigid and more spongey.

How is this not logical? What does a hot summer have to do with this? Please explain.

Isn't it the other way around?
It dries out more.

I do experience the opposite here in the summer when I take a bud out of the pots, as is logical.

Oxygen caused oxidation is the main destroyer I am aware of.

Once in a while I get caught up thinking about what it would take to build and operate a fully inert gas drying environment, and what effect it would have on cannabis flavor. ;)

Curing will not improve terpenes. Curing will make the smoke smoother and convert THC to CBN which makes the high more sedative. Any quality plant with strong terpenes will retain them the best. There's gonna be trade offs when selecting keepers. I find more potent plants with lack luster terpene profiles. It's harder to find phenos with Potency and a strong flav. Fresh high quality cannabis will always have stronger terpenes.

This is the most absurd take on Cannabis I've ever heard. What strains are you growing?!

You guys are so bad at trolling. I don't think you grasp the point. The point of trolling isn't to make completely backwards statements. It's to tweak the truth ever so slightly and see who's capable of figuring it out and who throws a fit. It maintains value of the knowledge. You are taking value away, talking straight baloney. It's not fun. It's not inspiring. It's annoying and morally disgusting.

============================

I've never in my life had a successful harvest that tasted better fresh than cured for months. It's scientifically impossible with properly grown cannabis. My bud always smells and tastes like sweet sugary generic hash until it cures. Each strain becomes distinct only after curing. Curing requires oxidation, hydrolysis, lipoxygenase, all these feared break down processes. This is the purpose of burping. When cured, my bud tastes like the growing plant smelled, and smells even louder. Even when bone dry, for years.. Connoisseurs keep their weed bone dry.. Grease and sugars, no water in my smoke..

Even my neighbors who grow low quality Cannabis, the flavor is starchy before cure. Like smoking bedsheets, or forest duff. The flavor will change from "earthy" or fabricy to strain specific with routine burping. One of my neighbors made a business out of this knowledge, once he realized local organic producers were sealing their bud up prematurely. He literally burps starchy bud for a living.

Even the poorly grown chemical shit from legal operations that smells like various plastics due to failed metabolism, alot of that stuff continues metabolizing, bone dry, and gets a distinct weed flavor months down the road.

I have even recently found old legal 'shatter' that tasted like metallic ions and nasty dirt when fresh, and years later it smells like sweet generic hash: like my weed smells fresh. Maybe that's a clue to the varying states of metabolism Cannabis can be in at harvest?

Mate.jpg

I prefer my resin tied up to "flavornoids" (seriously why are people in the Cannabis community using that word to describe glycosidic bonds? This communities broscience is worse than Bob Lazars. It hasn't changed, at all)

Start harvesting for precursors, and growing for conjugated terpenoids and glycones. You guys are talking about preserving terpenes like borneol, linalool, etc instead of creating bornyl-acetate, linyl-acetate with glycones and carboxylics to potentiate them. . This is completely counterintuitive to any traditional Cannabis producer.

Talk to a hash producer, not a poser celebrity grower with a fake online course. I don't care if Kevin Jodrey or Chimera Ryan tells you Haze is quantified by phellandrene. Haze smells like olibanic acid derivatives. There is no reason to preserve the phellandrene. In fact it's bad breeding that it's there.

Curing hash is 100% not nonsense. And your weed should be 30% hash if it's grown right. It's not that different, curing hash and herb. Your growing method is blowing your shit out, if it is. Absolutely no one wants to smoke vegative defense doterra terps (myrcene, pinene, terpinolene, etc). Those should be long gone before harvest. Polymerized into something curable.

browntrout

Veteran
Browntrout, stop trying to mind fuck me ok lol. Tell a shrink 30% feels more humid than 50% RH and they might lock you up. It’s like this dude today telling me after pressing 500 grams of resin he ended up with 700 grams. It’s simply impossible. Don’t try to argue, you just sound more insane and then i simply have to ask.. who are you trying to convince..me or YOU?

Anyways after growing in the heat and humidity of the summer, you will never grow In a environment with a temp lower than 80 degrees. Plants just explode with 85 degrees and 70% humidity. Why do you all think the biggest/fastest growing trees are in the tropics. I’m hoping live terpenes evaporates at a higher temperature than when they are dry. And pretty sure they do so I’ll keep growing with VPD with temps of 85 and get huge buds while yà’ll waste your money on boosters and see next to no difference cause i tried them ALL.
But anyways don’t believe me cause I’m just a liar trying to make you save money On marketing hyped garbage lol

Take a bud that’s dried in a room at high humidity, feel it, mull it around. Then take that bud into a room @ low humidity and do the same an hour later.

Let me know if something went from feeling dry to feeling wet/moist or if it stayed the same.

The point of the remark is it that if something feels dry doesn’t mean that it is. And moisture being the hot topic of keeping or killing smell.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
@YellowCanaryConsulting I smoked samples of my last harvest as it finished drying. I have never smoked such amazingly flavored cannabis. Horrible drying conditions had me jarring it up after 2 days and then burping jars for two weeks.

The flavors were constantly changing as the polymerization progressed, and boy was it an experience. Berries and cream, amazing flavors I have no description for, burnt rubber, steak, steak dipped in caramel, pine and more... literally a different experience 3 to 4 times a day.

The difference this time? Bunny shit...
Bunny shit and knf water soluble calcium. ;)

Cerathule

This is the most absurd take on Cannabis I've ever heard. What strains are you growing?!

You guys are so bad at trolling. I don't think you grasp the point. The point of trolling isn't to make completely backwards statements. It's to tweak the truth ever so slightly and see who's capable of figuring it out and who throws a fit. It maintains value of the knowledge. You are taking value away, talking straight baloney. It's not fun. It's not inspiring. It's annoying and morally disgusting.

============================

I've never in my life had a successful harvest that tasted better fresh than cured for months. It's scientifically impossible with properly grown cannabis. My bud always smells and tastes like sweet sugary generic hash until it cures. Each strain becomes distinct only after curing. Curing requires oxidation, hydrolysis, lipoxygenase, all these feared break down processes. This is the purpose of burping. When cured, my bud tastes like the growing plant smelled, and smells even louder. Even when bone dry, for years.. Connoisseurs keep their weed bone dry.. Grease and sugars, no water in my smoke..

Even my neighbors who grow low quality Cannabis, the flavor is starchy before cure. Like smoking bedsheets, or forest duff. The flavor will change from "earthy" or fabricy to strain specific with routine burping. One of my neighbors made a business out of this knowledge, once he realized local organic producers were sealing their bud up prematurely. He literally burps starchy bud for a living.

Even the poorly grown chemical shit from legal operations that smells like various plastics due to failed metabolism, alot of that stuff continues metabolizing, bone dry, and gets a distinct weed flavor months down the road.

I have even recently found old legal 'shatter' that tasted like metallic ions and nasty dirt when fresh, and years later it smells like sweet generic hash: like my weed smells fresh. Maybe that's a clue to the varying states of metabolism Cannabis can be in at harvest?

View attachment 18746613

I prefer my resin tied up to "flavornoids" (seriously why are people in the Cannabis community using that word to describe glycosidic bonds? This communities broscience is worse than Bob Lazars. It hasn't changed, at all)

Start harvesting for precursors, and growing for conjugated terpenoids and glycones. You guys are talking about preserving terpenes like borneol, linalool, etc instead of creating bornyl-acetate, linyl-acetate with glycones and carboxylics to potentiate them. . This is completely counterintuitive to any traditional Cannabis producer.

Talk to a hash producer, not a poser celebrity grower with a fake online course. I don't care if Kevin Jodrey or Chimera Ryan tells you Haze is quantified by phellandrene. Haze smells like olibanic acid derivatives. There is no reason to preserve the phellandrene. In fact it's bad breeding that it's there.

Curing hash is 100% not nonsense. And your weed should be 30% hash if it's grown right. It's not that different, curing hash and herb. Your growing method is blowing your shit out, if it is. Absolutely no one wants to smoke vegative defense doterra terps (myrcene, pinene, terpinolene, etc). Those should be long gone before harvest. Polymerized into something curable.
you only need to feed 15 or what essentials and then the plant can synthetize whatever compound it needs on its very own.

I'm not really sure what you wish to state with this non-intuitive listing of internal biochemical molecules... But if you found ways to influence these, to gain a better product, you are most welcome to share fertilizer ppms, products used and tissue sample analysis to demonstrate your case.
Just calling for "grow less acetates" isn't going to tell anyone what to do

lemonade

Veteran
One thing that rarely gets mentioned is that the ambient temperature can have an effect on how moist the bud “feels”.

The exact same cannabis when felt/squeezed at 10 degrees c will feel differently compared to when sampled at 30c. I’d assume anyone who’s ever put a sealed package of bud in their pant pocket or warn vehicle for awhile has noticed this.:):canabis: