What's new

MMJ and State Jobs

VAtransplant

Ok, so we know that Wal-Mart and other companies have policies that would allow them to deny hire even if you're medically compliant in CO.

How about working for the state itself? I'm doing POST certification training (for law enforcement) and would like to work with the parks system as opposed to being a cop. I know a drug test is required for employment, that's fine - I will medicate with prescription drugs and be a fool in the name of a financial future.

The applications for state work, rangers and what not- has several questions regarding marijuana, ranging from how many times you used it, to the first time, to the last time.. expecting dates. Will my application be destroyed immediately if I say I haven't smoked in years yet I'm a recent MMJ patient? Will they/can they see this at all in any database? Applications state they run background checks to see if youve bailed on taxes before and that jazz, so it seems like they could filter for a flag of patients?

Input appreciated.

.♠.

Officially I do not know at all. Though I do want to say that if you do not bring it up, they would never know.

Pee clean for them, put down that you smoked in HS or something and that is it. They can not track down your medical records unless they specifically need them for the job you are being hired for. Even then I think that they have to get your permission to get them (maybe even have you bring them in personally).

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know there was some language in the impending legislation that stated law enforcement employees could not use/grow mmj. Are you talking state park service or fed?

VAtransplant

Thanks for responses thusfar,

state parks job.. i actually may not even have to pee to be temp ranger.. but just don't want them to catch me in a lie. This is a promotion I'm working towards and I was just unemployed for like 2 months - really don't want to get cut for dishonesty on an application if they have a chance of finding out.

I just googled what you mentioned cobb, I noticed that on a ranger brochure it says something along the lines of if you have used marijuana within the past year or any other illegal substances within the past 3 years you will not be offered employment, yadaya.

kind of bs? but ok.