What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mk III Terpenator

FatherEarth

Veteran
That price is average. Climate Doctors is a good company for HVAC supplies and they have great customer service. If you buy on ebay you can haggle with em for deals. Good folks...Family owned I believe...

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
According to Mike at Glacier, they are PTFE.

EzExtractions

hey icant PM yet but i was wondering if you do custom orders for an terpenator. I am looking for a smaller version of it. I dont do very large runs 1oz would be on the high side for me, all personal runs. Is there any way to construct something like this? would it even be worth it to do a 1oz run. I would be running nugs. if you would like please email me at bossdogoncandy@yahoo.com

V

Veg N Out

Any one running mixed gases?

I found an outfit that has 99.7% pure n, iso-Butane and propane with out odorants, was curious if using a blend of the 3 will give most yield/quality or just running a single gas is the way to go?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey icant PM yet but i was wondering if you do custom orders for an terpenator. I am looking for a smaller version of it. I dont do very large runs 1oz would be on the high side for me, all personal runs. Is there any way to construct something like this? would it even be worth it to do a 1oz run. I would be running nugs. if you would like please email me at bossdogoncandy@yahoo.com

Solly no, but Specialized Formulations does and I emailed their contact information.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Any one running mixed gases?

I found an outfit that has 99.7% pure n, iso-Butane and propane with out odorants, was curious if using a blend of the 3 will give most yield/quality or just running a single gas is the way to go?

We run both 99.5% Instrument grade n-butane and blends of butane, isobutane, and propane in a closed system, depending on timing and availability.

Blended gases take longer to recover, but produce a nice product.

Straight propane extractions are lighter in color, so depending on the ratios, mixed gases may also produce a lighter colored product.

V

Veg N Out

Gray Wolf

What are some ratios you could recommend that balance the yield of butane with quality of propane?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gray Wolf

What are some ratios you could recommend that balance the yield of butane with quality of propane?

Sorry to say that we haven't done blended gas extraction studies, but it is on the docket.

The only blended gas that we've used, is out of a lighter fuel can.

Holden Oversoul

Yellow fellow Terpenatortistas,,

This thread needs resurrection. There is a ton of good info contained herein. There areome really smart ,and experienced Terpenator operatorson this thread so I thoughts would reach out for some help.

I've done 10-15 extractions so far. I'm having a problem with my yield. I've tried multiple batches ofdifferent strains. The starting material is fine scissor trim from manicuring dried flowers. No sticks, or fan leaves, or anything else that isn't of high quality. When you pick up and handful, it is noticeably sticky, and fungible. The tubes are packed with 150 grams. I've done 3-5 passes on a single 2' column. No matter which strain of the different strains (OGKush, Williams wonder x blue dream, NYCD) I use, the yields are consistently in the 9-11% range. I've tried both Vector and Power branded butane. I've tried freezing the recovery tank.

Yesterday, I added the sight glass from Brewers Hardware so that i could get an idea of what was going on inside the vessel. After 5 passes the butane was still golden, and the coffee filter at the top was noticeably colored with oil. Needless to say that after that many passes the recovery pot was quite full of butane. What am I doing wrong? Suggestions, advice, and guidance will be gladly accepted.

northstate

ICMag Donor
Have you run a tube of grade Awesome flowers to see if that works better? How long are you letting the tane sit in the tube between flushes? Pretty sure you changed the gaskets in that sight glass too, right?

nakadashi

This thread needs resurrection. There is a ton of good info contained herein. There areome really smart ,and experienced Terpenator operatorson this thread so I thoughts would reach out for some help.

I've done 10-15 extractions so far. I'm having a problem with my yield. I've tried multiple batches ofdifferent strains. The starting material is fine scissor trim from manicuring dried flowers. No sticks, or fan leaves, or anything else that isn't of high quality. When you pick up and handful, it is noticeably sticky, and fungible. The tubes are packed with 150 grams. I've done 3-5 passes on a single 2' column. No matter which strain of the different strains (OGKush, Williams wonder x blue dream, NYCD) I use, the yields are consistently in the 9-11% range. I've tried both Vector and Power branded butane. I've tried freezing the recovery tank.

Yesterday, I added the sight glass from Brewers Hardware so that i could get an idea of what was going on inside the vessel. After 5 passes the butane was still golden, and the coffee filter at the top was noticeably colored with oil. Needless to say that after that many passes the recovery pot was quite full of butane. What am I doing wrong? Suggestions, advice, and guidance will be gladly accepted.
In my experience, seeing golden color in the sight glass doesn't necessarily mean that you are pulling oil. I was wondering the same thing too, so after one of my usual 3-5 column floods, I switched to a fresh recovery pots and ran another 3-5 on the same column. The color seen in the sight glass remained golden by the end of the 5th (actually 10th) flood, but the yield in the 2nd recovery pot was significantly less, and super goopy and dark.

I think the better indicator for is looking for wavy distortion in the liquid butane, similar to what you would see if you dissolve sugar in water.

Holden Oversoul

Have you run a tube of grade Awesome flowers to see if that works better? How long are you letting the tane sit in the tube between flushes? Pretty sure you changed the gaskets in that sight glass too, right?
Only two runs with the sight glass so far. Do tell more about the gaskets and their replacement.

The tane sits in the tube cycle for the duration of time it takes for the vacuum gauge to reach 10" Hg per step 7 of GW's Operating procedure. Flooding the column with sub-freezing cylinder has taken as long as 1:15 to feel the cold rush of the solvent at the top.

northstate

ICMag Donor
Well about the sightglass gaskets, the clear looking ones are food grade silicone that came stock from brewers hardware and are probably not rated well for butane. Glacier tank has viton gaskets for the sightglass to replace 'em. Thats a 1min 15 sec. flood time for the initial one? I am somewhere around 12-16 seconds for a 150g before there is a flash of bubbles and liquid tane rushing through the downspout.
Pulling a vac before you flood the first time, per instructions I presume? Is your machine fully sealed? as in no bubbles under water @100 p.s.i. for as long as it takes to roll one and make sure.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

We pump down between passes, so after 5 passes, the butane level in the lower collection tank would be the same.

Please change the silicone rubber gaskets in your site glass to Viton. Silicone rubber absorbs butane.

Amber after 5 passes begs more information. We typically clear the material and yield 20% at 3 to 4 passes.

How long are you allowing it to soak?

We examine the spent material under a microscope, to tell whether we are getting it all or not.

Holden Oversoul

Well about the sightglass gaskets, the clear looking ones are food grade silicone that came stock from brewers hardware and are probably not rated well for butane. Glacier tank has viton gaskets for the sightglass to replace 'em. Thats a 1min 15 sec. flood time for the initial one? I am somewhere around 12-16 seconds for a 150g before there is a flash of bubbles and liquid tane rushing through the downspout.
Pulling a vac before you flood the first time, per instructions I presume? Is your machine fully sealed? as in no bubbles under water @100 p.s.i. for as long as it takes to roll one and make sure.

The 1:15 flood time is only when using sub-frozen butane and frozen tube and trim. Using the butane at ambient temp the flood time varied from 8-45 seconds.

Thanks for the reminder about the gaskets. I've read so many forum threads including icmag, thcfarmeer, skunk pharm, even the Tamisium forum; the info is leaking from my brain. the only pressure testing I have done is pulling full vacuum and leaving it under vacuum for 16 hours and the gauge never moved. What sort of container do you use that will submerge a fully assembled submerged Terpenator?