What's new

mixing coco with soil outdoor

SHO774

ive got a good guerilla patch in mind but the top soil is thin and theres quite a lot of clay underneath. i was wondering if anyone has any insight as to wether id be trouble free hiking bricks of coco out and mixing with soil and compost and growing organically.

i found these bricks that come prewashed and buffered. https://www.hydroexperts.com.au/Hy-...O9JTci7kqUeqFaBM5z3vkfO-oGLDs9pBoCSukQAvD_BwE

would i be able to treat it just as soil and not worry about a+b ferts, salt, ph etc.
havent found much info online of people doing such things and have always grown in soil, no experience with coco.

Reactions: BMG

BMG

ive got a good guerilla patch in mind but the top soil is thin and theres quite a lot of clay underneath. i was wondering if anyone has any insight as to wether id be trouble free hiking bricks of coco out and mixing with soil and compost and growing organically.

i found these bricks that come prewashed and buffered. https://www.hydroexperts.com.au/Hy-...O9JTci7kqUeqFaBM5z3vkfO-oGLDs9pBoCSukQAvD_BwE

would i be able to treat it just as soil and not worry about a+b ferts, salt, ph etc.
havent found much info online of people doing such things and have always grown in soil, no experience with coco.
I use to throw my old coco from indoors in my outdoor garden and the outdoor plants grew vigorous so I don't see why not but that's just from my experience.

Vandenberg

Go for it. It'll work. Do what you usually do with your a+ b 2 part nutes. Coco's a beautiful thing to work with and it should go far improving that soils composition quickly. Use the a/b probably half strength to expand the coco bricks with and you should be golden.
A wee bit of aeration material ( perlite, lava rock, gotta carry, winner is perlite)
Coco Coir has got great water retention qualities and should quickly provide something with an improved soil structure/tilth to it.

I do know of a highly effective way to determine if an area is secure for growing.
Pick an affordable to lose denomination of currency, 20 dollar bills will usually get em on the hook.
Check by nailing/attaching the money in a visible spot (tree) and check and see if it/ the bills stay there. Cheaper than losing the grow.
Good Luck, wish you much success.

Vandenberg :)

Last edited:

BMG

Go for it. It'll work. Do what you usually do with your a+ b 2 part nutes. Coco's a beautiful thing to work with and it should go far improving that soils composition quickly. Use the a/b probably half strength to expand the coco bricks with and you should be golden.
A wee bit of aeration material ( perlite, lava rock, gotta carry, winner is perlite)
Coco Coir has got great water retention qualities and should quickly provide something with an improved soil structure/tilth to it.

I do know of a highly effective way to determine if an area is secure for growing.
Pick an affordable to lose denomination of currency, 20 dollar bills will usually get em on the hook.
Check by nailing/attaching the money in a visible spot (tree) and check and see if it/ the bills stay there. Cheaper than losing the grow.
Good Luck, wish you much success.

Vandenberg :)
You just taught me something. Whenever I did my coco I ran it threw with only pH water with some calmag and then water with mild seedling nutes.. throwing a part A and B in the mix makes a lot of sense.
Thank You
BMG