What's new

Michigan marijuana decriminalization bill introduced with bipartisan backers

oscar169

12624939-large.jpg

State Rep. Jeff Irwin of Ann Arbor introduces a bill that would decriminalize marijuana during a press conference at the Michigan Capitol on April 24, 2013

LANSING, MI -- Democratic state Rep. Jeff Irwin of Ann Arbor wants to decriminalize marijuana in Michigan, and at least two Republicans agree that it's time to have the debate.
Irwin, who represents a city that enacted a similar policy decades ago, introduced a bill today that would make the possession of up to an ounce of marijuana a civil infraction punishable by a fine rather than a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail.
"We know, and the people here in Michigan know, that marijuana prohibition is not working," Irwin said today during a press conference at the Capitol.
"Despite the fact that we're spending a minimum of $325 million a year on arresting, trying and incarcerating marijuana users in this state, we know marijuana has never been more available. We know that law enforcement has not been successful at keeping marijuana out of the hands of anyone in this state."
Irwin was joined at the press conference by a group of marijuana decriminalization advocates and bipartisan co-sponsors, including Democratic Rep. Marcia Hovey-Wright of Muskegon and Republican Reps. Mike Shirkey of Clarklake and Mike Callton of Nashville.
"This is the right time to have this debate in Michigan," said Shirkey, who agreed to co-sponsor the bill in order to guarantee bipartisan support but is concerned that the version introduced today does not differentiate between adult and minor possession, which he'd like to see changed.
"We're using a lot of money, energy and resources in Michigan and across the nation to accomplish something we've failed at," he said. "If government has a primary role, it is to protect people's freedom. That doesn't mean we have unfettered freedom … but the best government, by and large, is a smaller, less restraining government."
Callton, who recently introduced legislation to allow medical marijuana dispensaries in Michigan, said he believes the drug is less harmful than alcohol and does not understand why it continues to be treated as a "taboo."
Irwin offered a similar comparison: "Alcohol prohibition also didn't work," he said, referring the federal policy that ended in 1933. "And when we adopted a more sane, and may I say sober policy for alcohol, we were better able to control it and keep it out of the hands of our children."
While he expects opposition from law enforcement officials, Irwin suggested that officers on the front lines of the drug war may have different opinions than their bosses. Neill Franklin, a retired Maryland State Police major now serving as executive director of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, called the bill "a sensible first step toward a more humane and just criminal justice system in Michigan."
Seventeen states have adopted some type of marijuana decriminalization law, including Washington and Colorado, where voters recently approved ballot measures to legalize recreational use. The Michigan bill would not legalize the drug, but it would change the penalty for small-time possession from possible jail time to a fine of $25 for a first offense, $50 for a second offense or $75 for a third offense.
"This is nothing radical," said Tim Beck of the Coalition for a Safer Michigan. "We'd only be doing what a lot of very sensible legislators and voters have done in other states."
Beck spearheaded the 2008 statewide ballot initiative to legalize medical marijuana in Michigan, and he recently led a successful decriminalization initiative in Detroit. Voters in Grand Rapids, Flint and Ypsilanti also approved municipal decriminalization measures last year, but Beck believes the Legislature is better suited to craft public policy.
Republican co-sponsors do not guarantee Irwin's bill will see a vote, let alone a committee hearing. The House GOP has other priorities right now, according to spokesperson Ari Adler, but leadership is not ruling out an eventual debate.
"It will go through the committee process, but we're not going to close the door on having the discussion," Adler said. "There are a lot of important issues that we have to deal with first."

:woohoo:

MIway

Veteran
Well, if we take his words to heart, lets go ahead and decriminalize and even regulate? If we are to really open up discussion and all. This should be a no brainer, push it thru quickly type of bill. A real debate is what form legalization should take, under what values. Let them better spend their time.

Beats the current laws though... Baby steps, even though we are adults... I guess

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Schutte's gotta go. Then things will be fine. He's a complete nut bag.

OGShush

I don't think he'll get re-elected. He's taken hard stances on some fairly popular issues. Joining the Obamacare lawsuit and busying himself with attempting to interpret a law that is beyond his understanding will not bode well for him.. Medical marijuana passed by a significant margin, larger than the one Mr. Schuette was elected on I'd wager. Hopefully this midyear election will see a disenfranchised right and a good turn out for left wingers grumpy as fuck about right to work.

k-s-p

Veteran

Anyone think Totten has a chance to beat Schutte? Don't know much about him, just did a scan and found some news on him.

MIway

Veteran
dunno ksp... will tell ya that after being here for a bit, the place kind of grinds on ya. yeah, its much better than non medi, but this place is still hostile. yday i met this guy... been here since the beginning & involved/political... he was beat down man, thinking about going west. in a2, but he clearly felt harassed & tired... seeing he is involved & all, he had no expectations of things getting better this year or the next. west coast is totally a different vibe, just not as wrenching & tightly wound, just not east coast, which the midwest is more akin. dunno... im riding it out.

OGShush

He is a career politician. Just like herpes, he ain't goin away.

I don't think he'll go away completely. As long as there is some venue for his self promotion Shuette will be on Dooty (sorry couldn't help the pun) but I'd much rather see him trying to stir shit from behind a county desk. I'm no herpes-doctor, but if it's not going away the best we can do is contain it and hope it doesn't spread to the rest of the face. I'm not sure what % of his tirade is driven by personal vendetta but I would reckon some of it is driven by a desire to look "tough on pot."

God help us if this goon manages to stumble into something big. No one heard of Sarah Palin before 2008 and she managed to get a big leg up from an the GOP. Their strategies are so terrible anyone could be staring down a nomination for a high office in a matter of minutes. All they need is someone the tea-tards will rally around with a non corporate background that appeals to middle age swing voters. Those mouth breathing lummoxes will eat up the Scheutte on Duty bullshit.

The bad thing about a representative democracy is that the ruling majority are uneducated drink swilling sitcom watching buffoons. The minority are educated people and although we have rights we certainly aren't entitled to much beyond a tax bill and a mostly worthless vote. Unless you've got money, then all you need is a PAC or a decently powerful lobby.

I've often wondered if Norquist's model of cajoling politicians into signing agreements not to vote on tax increases could work on the left with marijuana reform. It'd be interesting to see someone try. Basically anyone in the Republican party that doesn't sign the agreement can expect their opponents to receive campaign funding from Norquist's group in an attempt to firmly entrench it within party ideology. You want to win an election? No tax increases.

Latest posts

Latest posts