What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Methyl Jasmonate and Phytocannabinoids

Dr.Mantis

Hey everyone:

A very interesting paper was published about the effects of varying methyl jasmonate applications on a hemp cultivar.

TLDR: methyl jasmonate showed a dose dependent increase in the overall phytocannabinoid content of the tested hemp cultivar. Likely through the induction of the lipoxygenase pathway.

I just got my methyl jasmonate a day ago, and will be testing this on my next flower run.

The plan: apply in mid and late flower with a control.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hey everyone:

A very interesting paper was published about the effects of varying methyl jasmonate applications on a hemp cultivar.

TLDR: methyl jasmonate showed a dose dependent increase in the overall phytocannabinoid content of the tested hemp cultivar. Likely through the induction of the lipoxygenase pathway.

I just got my methyl jasmonate a day ago, and will be testing this on my next flower run.

That should be interesting Doc. Keep us posted and thanks for sharing your work.

exoticrobotic

Seems jasmonate is involved in stress response signalling in the plant

Great you are trying this so we can all understand how to increase potency :)

The original study sprayed the plants with a jasmonate solution at the onset of flowering, when very first pistils appeared.

I think you should apply the jasmonate at this stage as it is when cannabinoids are first being produced.

At mid to late flower i'm not sure there would be sufficient time to influence the pathways.

But wtf do i know....

Great experiment :love:

Dr.Mantis

Seems jasmonate is involved in stress response signalling in the plant

Great you are trying this so we can all understand how to increase potency :)

The original study sprayed the plants with a jasmonate solution at the onset of flowering, when very first pistils appeared.

I think you should apply the jasmonate at this stage as it is when cannabinoids are first being produced.

At mid to late flower i'm not sure there would be sufficient time to influence the pathways.

But wtf do i know....

Great experiment :love:
Very fair points! I’m not sure, but my suspicion is there is a large metabolic cost associated with overstimulation of the jasmonate pathway. So, would applying early in flower eat into that energy reservoir? Would later application negate that while still producing the desired effects? I don’t know either, and I don’t know if that’s the right mindset going into this. However, I think it will be fun either way!

Also worth noting, they treated low thc hemp. So the results may not transfer to high thc strains. I wish they looked at the volatile organic compounds, since a lot of those come from lipid oxidation as well.

exoticrobotic

would applying early in flower eat into that energy reservoir? Would later application negate that while still producing the desired effects?

Good point. You could end up with very low yield of extremely potent bud rather than a larger yield of more potent bud.

Very interesting experiment.

I'd join you if i had a nice stash and didn't need a large supply of smokeables asap :rasta:

Dr.Mantis

Good point. You could end up with very low yield of extremely potent bud rather than a larger yield of more potent bud.

Very interesting experiment.

I'd join you if i had a nice stash and didn't need a large supply of smokeables asap :rasta:
Yeah, who knows what will happen! I don’t really have a way to test the potency of my bud, but I give most of it away anyway. I guess I will need my “testers” to give me subjective potency feedback.

Piff_cat

this is a great idea and something ive researched quite a bit. theres an entire "inducable" battery of terpenes only produced when "under attack" not to mention that monoterpenes and cbga both share the same precursor- GPP which is increased with methyl jasmonate. some terpenes still require physical damage to be induced but methyl jasmonate/absicsic acid and chitin are the big 3. the best example/plant similar to cannabis is the production of agarwood- the most expensive incense by weight in the world. its derived from heartwoods of aquilara trees- but only damaged trees create the agarwood. in nature this means a fungal infection after physical damage allows entry. this tree has alot of the same secondary metabolites as cannabis especially haze- eudesmol, guiaol, chromenes are the main compounds. here is some info that compares different induction methods

1680451344702.png

1680451384539.png

since agarwood is so expensive it takes the "natural route" of fungal infection up to 10 years to produce enough agarwood yield and only the damaged heartwood contains the resin. the newest most effective method discovered is called agar wit. it takes foliar to the next level. the system uses an iv bag full of different inducers(jasmonate, fungal etc) into the bottom of trunk and the plants natural transpiration system to draw the inducers all the way to the top of plant. not only does this induce agarwood resin, but it creates the resin int the entire trunk as opposed to only the natural damaged areas.

Dr.Mantis

this is a great idea and something ive researched quite a bit. theres an entire "inducable" battery of terpenes only produced when "under attack" not to mention that monoterpenes and cbga both share the same precursor- GPP which is increased with methyl jasmonate. some terpenes still require physical damage to be induced but methyl jasmonate/absicsic acid and chitin are the big 3. the best example/plant similar to cannabis is the production of agarwood- the most expensive incense by weight in the world. its derived from heartwoods of aquilara trees- but only damaged trees create the agarwood. in nature this means a fungal infection after physical damage allows entry. this tree has alot of the same secondary metabolites as cannabis especially haze- eudesmol, guiaol, chromenes are the main compounds. here is some info that compares different induction methods

View attachment 18826215
View attachment 18826216

since agarwood is so expensive it takes the "natural route" of fungal infection up to 10 years to produce enough agarwood yield and only the damaged heartwood contains the resin. the newest most effective method discovered is called agar wit. it takes foliar to the next level. the system uses an iv bag full of different inducers(jasmonate, fungal etc) into the bottom of trunk and the plants natural transpiration system to draw the inducers all the way to the top of plant. not only does this induce agarwood resin, but it creates the resin int the entire trunk as opposed to only the natural damaged areas.
Very interesting!

Pretty soon here, on my next run. I will be using methyl jasmonate in water/tween as foliar on a clone, with a control. I also have chitosan oligo, so I may try it in combination on another plant . I don’t know, but my suspicion is you want a very healthy plant to about early to mid flower, then stress it with inducers or abiotic factors to increase secondary metabolite synthesis withou reducing yield too much.

led05

Chasing The Present
Hey everyone:

Cool; remember Doc only one experiment at the same time ;)

Dr.Mantis

never enough time this life

Give these a go, I’ve posted a lot on this many years back, probably easy enough to find

View attachment 18826347

View attachment 18826348

Lol - wear ya glasses kids
View attachment 18826349
Exactly, so many things to try, so little time and space.

I will def give the Ushio a try. I have the agromac uvb right now, and like them quite a bit. If you just turn them on in late flowering like the manufacturer suggest, get ready to fry your pistils, but if used in veg as well the plants seem to like it. Mmmmhhhm ionizing radiation.

I need to get a solarimeter…

led05

Chasing The Present
I need to get a solarimeter…
Handful of different types weighted to varying goals last I bought it, the UVI one nearly mirrors the Vitamin D synthesis curve which is pretty much UVB… And that’s what I was after for that testing, and ultimately where I believe the goods are at, all UVB no to little UVA - All things come with good & bad…of course

Peace

Dr.Mantis

Handful of different types weighted to varying goals last I bought it, the UVI one nearly mirrors the Vitamin D synthesis curve which is pretty much UVB… And that’s what I was after for that testing, and ultimately where I believe the goods are at, all UVB no to little UVA - All things come with good & bad…of course

Peace
I did a quick look online, the uv solar meters are more expensive than my lights!

I agree on the uvb side of things too. Even if it hurts my yields, I like what it does to my plants.

led05

Chasing The Present
Doc without deep pockets for the cause, what gives..ha, yeah they aren’t cheap, neither are the bulbs nor thousands I spent testing everything “under the sun” to arrive at these specific bulbs… and I’ve shared it all free openly of course, and seems few care… but experimenting is often for the one coming up with & paying for the hypothesis, in more ways than one

Cheers brother

Dr.Mantis

Doc without deep pockets for the cause, what gives..ha, yeah they aren’t cheap, neither are the bulbs nor thousands I spent testing everything “under the sun” to arrive at these specific bulbs… and I’ve shared it all free openly of course, and seems few care… but experimenting is often for the one coming up with & paying for the hypothesis, in more ways than one

Cheers brother
Thanks led05, I will get one eventually. I just like to complain. My Modus Operandi is to buy the cheap crap over and over until I’ve spent more than the functional stuffs cost, then lament, then buy the good stuff.

It’s true, like you said, the experimental side of things is that expensive, and most people don’t seem to care. However, I think the pursuit itself is a worthwhile cause, even if no one appreciates it in the short term. Your bulb recommendation is on my list, btw.

Latest posts

Latest posts