What's new

Metal grinders: SpaceCase vs. Mix n' Ball vs. others...

I am referring to the metal grinders that also come with a kief screen and botton compartment. Just wondering if the SpaceCase is worth all that money? Seems so much more overpriced than the competitors, Mix n' Ball, Kannastor, etc. Is it really worth all that money? Alot of people swear by them. I'm looking at the Kannastor, because it's a respected name brand and it's considerably cheaper than a similar-sized SpaceCase. What kinda metal grinder w/ kief screen do you have? How much did you pay and how well does it perform? All feedback appreciated, I don't wanna spend all that money and still not get the best value.

stealthballer

I machined my own out of a piece of 20 pound aluminum stock. I have magnets in it and never once used grease on it. Yet I get this horrible grease like residue on the magnets, I always throw it away but I wonder what is the deal with the junk.

BOFH

I have a spacecase container for lack of a better word. It doesn't actually grind anything but it does have a supposed kief screeen. To be honest the screen is metal and inferior to a silk screen kief box.

Space Cases are by far my favorite grinders, however they are a little expensive.

It will last you a long time though so spending that amount of money isn't a terrible waste....

dbuzz

Veteran
imo if you're looking to collect keif in the spacecase just buy a keif box and a cheap grinder. grind ur weed over the keif box and shake and rake.

jaunt

my grinder works pretty good, got it at a local shop. its polished on the outside and has pointed spikes that grind instead of pegs or something else shitty.

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
I have a MixNBall. Gave away the combat they make to a friend. Still have the Megaleaf. The older versions (bought mine in 2000) are tougher to use, especially the megaleaf. It's too short so you have to hold it between the palms of your hands and if you're trying to grind more than 1.5g, although it fits, is tough to get starter without a good grip on it. And the anodizing wears off where there is metal to metal contact after repeated :D use. But they do make a good product and the space case isn't anodized at all. You can also get the 3 screen grinder and press for ~ $70 which I'll probably do in a month or so.

dbuzz said:
imo if you're looking to collect keif in the spacecase just buy a keif box and a cheap grinder. grind ur weed over the keif box and shake and rake.

I always play with and grind bud bud over a screen and glass plate so I collect trichs that way, but the grinder and screen combo just seem so much more convenient. Do you think its worth it to just keep doing what I'm doing and maybe just invest in a box?

edit: good boxes are so damn expensive, too

Last edited:

guineapig

Veteran
Some aluminum mesh screens deposit incredibly tiny particles of metal (and like the
above post says about "wearing down") on your herb after grinding.....if you are very
very sensitive to metals, or have "environmental sensitivity syndrome" (i think that is
the name), you could break out in a slight rash, most likely around the nose and cheeks.....

This is a very rare event, but i think 1 or 2 people here have registered this complaint....most of us are used to breathing tiny metal particles in the atmosphere (city pollution) so most immune systems will not react against them.....

Anyone have any comments on silkscreens vs. metal mesh screens?

-just tryin' to help, gp

dbuzz

Veteran
Sativa_Fan said:
I always play with and grind bud bud over a screen and glass plate so I collect trichs that way, but the grinder and screen combo just seem so much more convenient. Do you think its worth it to just keep doing what I'm doing and maybe just invest in a box?

edit: good boxes are so damn expensive, too

well the spacecase takes time to collect keif....they aren't that big(but ive never used the largest size they make)

i always found myself putting bud on the spacecase screen and trying to collect from moving the bud around it.(without grinding) basically the same way you collect on a mesh screen. i personally found the spacecase inconvient to collect efficiently. everytime you grind you have to take it apart and get some leftover weed out. like i said i would get a box, even if it's a cheap 4in.X4in. box on ebay, you will be able to collect a little faster.

i'd also like to know about mesh vs silk, i have no idea.

i used a gajanana phat box. it's not really that nice but alot easier to shake my trim/bud around and get a nice wad of smoke.

Last edited:
Thinking of going with the Mendo Mulcher. I am doing some searching on other sites as well and the Mendo Mulcher gets nothing but 'best grinder available!' from random people on forums. Much less expensive than the others, too.

G

I've enjoyed my mendo mulcher and got it for a good price.

long live mendo!