What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mephisto Genetics [Potential Problem?]

CimbaKat

We don't believe it was us... I'll never know for sure if it was my wrong doing but our germination rates for our current Mephisto Genetics stock that we tried running has been atrocious... I'm talking damn near 25% success rate. maybe worse maybe better ,who knows, either way, its horrible horrible horrible rates.. I was a bit devastated for real, I've never had so many seeds not pop, ever, even as a 16 year old who's not knowing what the fuck I'm doing, guerilla grow, bag seed in paper towels, plate in a drawer. I still always had 85%-100% indoor, averaged 95%-100%, was it just an epic string of luck? Has my green thumb died from the 18mo hiatus? Do I have green rust? I thought that was the reason.. thought it must happen to everybody at some point, can't be nonstop lavishness all the time..

Then we saw some seeds break the surface.. Glueberry OG auto (Dutch passion), Bloody Skunk Auto (Sweet Seeds), Polar Express Auto (Greenthumb Seeds), Tonic Ryder (World of Seeds), GSC Auto (Fast Buds), Beary White (Mephisto Genetics), Alien vs Triangle (Mephisto Genetics) and Chemdogging (Mephisto Genetics). So I was like ok, it's not me..? Bad luck?

However... during this time there were many failures. 7 The White Trains (Mephisto Genetics) failed to germ... 7... a whole fucking pack failed. My favorite strain as well lol... go figure.. its Top shelf meds for PTSD... it sucks that this happened. Note, last grow I also had trouble with The White Train... took 3 attempts for 1 plant. So 10 total failures with running The White Train, 1/10. This strain is Ghost Train Haze OG x Walter White (The White auto) and it's also been discontinued a while back, when I grew it out and smoked it, i was baffled as to why it was discontinued, it was ECSD, Chemdog, OG Kush, GDP, Piff, Headband, quality strain, elite world class, like whoah this has peaked my interest level of good, this doesn't happen often, like I wanna grow a photoperiod version of this to share with the world status type strain, anyway.. Back to the program, The second Beary White failed to germ, which has also been discontinued, noticing a trend? it also has their Walter White ( The White Auto) in it... curious if that's a culprit?

Out of 9 seeds with Walter White in it (7 THE white Train failed, 1 out of 2 Beary White failed), 8 seeds failed to crack the shell after 36hrs of soaking at 72F in darkness and failed to break surface when sown in soil with domes, lightly moistened as usual (95%-100% success with this method... usually). Same light as before, same fans, same everything. Both Beary White and the White Train had strange shaped, tiny seeds as well. When I saw the seeds, I got nervous, they were very wonky looking. We grew Sucker Punch (Bubba Kush Auto by Auto Seeds) and it had tiny seeds too but germed fine, they weren't all wonky looking though, just small.

We also had failure with Skywalker OG Auto (Mephisto genetics) 1 out of 3 germed.. fucking sad because Skywalker OG is one of my wife and I favorite strain. Its Skywalker OG x Triangle Kush Auto (Mephisto Genetics), TK auto is also discontinued but was the fiery'st of fire kooosh one could ask for, lol but it was discontinued. I wanted more seeds of it and was sad to see this. Much like the White Train, when we grew it and smoked the TK, we wondered why would they discontinue this..? This is legit the best kush we've ever had and in 10' we had damn near all the kush cali could grow lol, tried alotta kush that year. So failure with another strain that was bred to a now discontinued line.

Even tried their Alien Vs Triangle and watched it fail three times... 2/5 seeds popped. The two that made it had mutant seeds as I'd describe them. I had to use tweezers and separate the seed shell from the seedling, and the seeds were fused to the leaves, causing the seedlings to keep growing with the seed closed on the top of the seed. I literally had to do surgery on the seedlings to make them viable lol. I should've taken pictures.. never seen this before, it
was very strange.. I thought both would die for sure but I always have faith to the end and even then I've saved plants from death.Alien Vs Triangles genetics are Ripleys OG x Triangle Kush Auto. AvT was their staple strain forever. They recommended it to anyone who doubted autoflowers ability to compete with photoperiod quality flowers, frequently hit 22%-25% THC, monster yields, 4-6oz+ in soil.

After all the germination failures, I went to their website and I recently found out that it is now also discontinued like The White Train, Triangle Kush, Beary White and Deep Blue C.. the AvTs had shit vigor and took days to pop as well. When they finally popped, they were retarded. They're tall girls... but huge intermodal spacing and no satellite buds. For instance, Tonic Ryder has 17 tops sites, no topping, no LST, no monster cropping or super cropping, only leaf tucking and defoliation of lower sites (same technique for all plants). Glueberry OG has like 14-16 tops, GSC auto has like 16? Bloody Skunk 15? Polar Express 13, Beary white has like 9 lol, AvT has like 7..? Chemdogging is doing fine however... short indica looking plant, 12-16 tops. Nice plant.. as usual. Still failed to germ 1 outta 2...

Even tried 2 Triangle Kush Autos, both failed... to crack after 36 hours, tried these in rapid routers, 72F heating mat, some, etc.. perfect conditions for all germs after the initial direct failure failures, I thought I'd try some plus rooters.. Tonic Ryder and GSC auto broke surface in less that a day of being planted,

Even tried 2 SODK (Mephisto Genetics) both failed, SODK is Sour Orange Diesel x Triangle Kush auto...

Even tried Deep Blue C (Mephisto Genetics), a discontinued strain by them that is Chemdogging x UK Blues (a UK skunk). 0/2 rates...

So, The White Train [discontinued] and Beary White [discontinued] , Deep Blue C [discontinued], Alien Vs Triangle [discontinued].

CD had vigor up the wazoo. BW was awful runty seedling with no vigor at all. BW had a wet noodle stem for 2 weeks, starting looking like it had nutrient deficiencies or heat burn from the LED for those same 2 weeks, despite the CD being 100% fine and blasting off. CD literally became 4 times the size in a week. Same day age. No other plants had issues like the Beary White either. Strange.

Anyone else run in to this issue with Meph gear? First go around we were fucking stoked. Was Triangle Kush, chemdogging, SODK, The White Train, Ripleys OG. All great yields, all some of the best flower weve ever had. All resin like you're dry sifting everytime you grind it and terp bombs blowing off when the jars are opened. Vigor and greatness besides The White Train, but the one that popped was superb. Just find it odd. Other companies popped quicker and had no issues. I'm torn, I loved the MG flowers... fucking incredible but these seeds are too expensive and a bitch in a half to get especially now, with every seed bank only wanted cash or cryptocurrency. Feedback? Questions? Peace.

F

Frylock

Not me.... i recently germinated some Sour Livers, Sour Stomper and Creme de la Chem about 90% germ rate.

Maybe those varieties are old stock IDK?

lovis

Can you be 100% sure they didn't drown from too much water? If you have some left try to put them directly in wet soil since this is probably the most natural method.

The_Skunkist

~~ Auto Ninja ~~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"36hrs of soaking" ... seems abused .

That's a point , second point is seller reliability ...

Fridge to fridge ? or 1 day in the car in the spanish sun ?
And how long in the shop ?

Do they destroy old seeds stock after a while ? Or do they discount them ? ...

May be Mephisto are not really the one to blame . Or they really are .
Good genetics are not the only thing that rules a seeds co . The commercial parts, adv and distribution are very important too .

Whatever, I have read you and 12 euros per seed wasted is pain in the ass too for sure .

:tiphat:

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
seeds contain germinating inhibitors, to wake them up from dormant state there are few ways to do it. fresh seeds especially autoflowers contains high % of those inhibitors like out of 100 seeds less than 4% will sprout in days. the rest will resist to the first waves of water and soaking. these molecules will decompose slowly on room temperature (most of them are water soluble and heat sensible) the rest of the seeds will sprout in few weeks. after a few wet and dry period on the ground naturally washed into the soil. more bigger percent of the seeds will remain in dormant stage through the winter which slows the decomposition of the inhibitors, let the embrios sleep to the next spring. so seeds kept in fridge for a long time can be still viable and kept most of their inhibitors without any loss!!

CimbaKat

That's a point , second point is seller reliability ...

Do they destroy old seeds stock after a while ? Or do they discount them ? ...

May be Mephisto are not really the one to blame . Or they really are .
Good genetics are not the only thing that rules a seeds co . The commercial parts, adv and distribution are very important too .

Whatever, I have read you and 12 euros per seed wasted is pain in the ass too for sure .

People soak seeds in water for 24 to 36 hrs all the time, it's a common germination methid. It's pretty much the same concept as the paper towel method. 36 hours with moisture plus darkness and you have tap roots. Jorge Cervantea swears by the soak method which is how I ended up trying it. I tried it last couple grows and it's given us 85%-100% success, pretty much 100% and any failure due to other issues unrelated. They normally sink after 12 hrs and crack by 24 to 36hrs. I've had damn near 100% germ rate with this method. I then sowe directly in a premoistened pot or rooter and dome it. Normally don't need to water for a week or so. They normally break soil the day of to around 4 days. Longest has been 6.

I should've said I purchased them from attitude seek bank. Took like 3 weeks for seeds to come.. order was split in half and had to batches of seeds came separately for whatever reason. Other seeds are 6months newer. they're about 2 years old and 1.5 years old from us receiving them. I'm sure there was fluxes in temp on the way over. We store them in a refrigerator in a Mason jar with rice to suck any potential moisture out the jar, seeds are in seed packs. I only said could it be mephisto genetics because the strains we struggled to germ have since been discontinued and other companies we ran germed fine no problem. Other MG popped fine. And because we had trouble specifically with the White Train, previously, but we too fire to pass up. Literlaly no grow reports about the White Train online. Lame. Now it could very well be attitude seed bank having old stock, poor storing , temp fluxes from delivery, or maybe we fucked up specifically on the discontinued MG seeds that we tried germing and its coincidental and the rest will pop fine when we attempt them again. Its got Too many intangibles, im just wondering if anyone has ran the same strains and had any similar problems.

My two AvTs both had piss poor starts with mutant seedlings with fused seeds to the leaves, lacking vigor. One eventually caught up to the rest of the pack, one has four weeks to six weeks an other probably 9. Our fast buds GSC is bonkers... gigantic Bush, GBOG by Dutch Passion, massive blueberry structure tall sativa hybrid looking plant. Bloody Skunk Auto is like 4 ft.. minus 16in for the pot. Tonic Ryder is a Bush like cookies only somehow with more satellite buds. Shit even the Beary White is doing great, eventually stabilized and now looks like it'll yield an ounce plus. I feel like we're gonna pull 1.5lbs to 2lbs off a 4x4. Plants are doing too well we had to take the tent down and brace the light to the ceiling because the growth is too damn high... gotta LST next batch. Larger grow space now but lower height.

CimbaKat

Yeah I'm probably doing rooters in a temp regulated dome and transplant before root bound. Did this for GBOG, GSC, Polar Express, AvT#2, Skywalker, Bloody Skunk Auto, all popped within 1-4 days. I also soaked for 24 to 36 hours for these ladies. Debating on just placing in the rooter or should I soak or paper towel method prior?

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
i prefer to use perlite

attachment.php

bibi40

second point is seller reliability ...

very interresting point ,

how many shops i seen who don' t store anything in the fridge ,
so just imagine they don' t care about the transport !!!
Now anyone can sell seeds but if you just want to make money ,

just buy and sell don' t care of anything but money !!!

In Spain or A'dam it' s really the jungle ,
a lot of rogue so you had to find good supplyers ...

It can be old stock or fresh stock bad stocking ,

but if all others seeds are good ,

there's a fuck with this seeds ...

Last edited:

iTarzan

old thread but..

Mephisto Samsquanch OG 18 fem seeds. Planted 9 and 8 came up. The one popped but never made it above ground.

pjlive

Agreed. Can be much too long a soak for many strains. These days I never exceed 24 hours on a soak and I'd say most now are done between 16-18 hours before going into a paper towel (contrary to many sources, I still find this highly effective) then into a peat puck.

If you noticed that many of the longer soaked seeds presented a taproot that was not "erect" or somewhat straight but were curved like a hooked finger or even in a spiral configuration -- the seeds might have been soaked too long prior to being placed in a moist paper towel.

This is just my opinion, but after floating seeds drop to the bottom of a container they've already taken up close to their threshold in saturation and only need 10 or so hours after that point to move on into a different, less wet and more oxygenated environment.