What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maximum number of leaflets on a leaf

Cvh

Supermod
Hi all,

I want to hear your intake on the following, Robert Connell Clarke has written in the book 'Marijuana Botany: An Advanced Study: The Propagation and Breeding of Distinctive Cannabis' that Cannabis can grow up to 11 leaflets on a leaf.

This sounds like a challenge to me. So has anybody ever had a leaf with more then 11 leaflets?
I think I personally haven't had that many leaflets let alone surpass that number.

Cheers.

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
ive had 11 finger
just don't smoke it when ya see the 9 fingers .patience young jedi

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Hi all,

I want to hear your intake on the following, Robert Connell Clarke has written in the book 'Marijuana Botany: An Advanced Study: The Propagation and Breeding of Distinctive Cannabis' that Cannabis can grow up to 11 leaflets on a leaf.

This sounds like a challenge to me. So has anybody ever had a leaf with more then 11 leaflets?
I think I personally haven't had that many leaflets let alone surpass that number.

Cheers.

Cvh, last season I had a Baglung Highland Nepalese that had/has 18 leaves on one bracts. I saved the leaf. I have it pressing in a book. I have only ever had one leaf with 13 fingers previously. I get a lot of 10 and 11 leaf bracts on my Nepalese genetics. I will try getting it into laminate so I can take pictures from both sides. It's not symmetrical like an open hand. It has leaves growing backwards out the bottom side of the bracts. It took about 8 times to count the leaves and a couple what the fuss's thrown in for good measure while counting.
peace farmerlion

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I get 11s when the plants are mature. never seen more, yet. Haven't had a 3 leafer indica yet either.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
20220101_120719.jpg
20220101_120645.jpg
After pulling this leaf bracts out of the book. It was very brittle. I placed some laminate over the top of the bracts before I moved it. The clarity is poor but yo can easily se I was wrong on my count of 18 fingers. This bracts actually has 20 finger leaves on one leaf bract.

I took a picture of front and back of the leaf bract.
16410609569319071950395158879695.jpg
bracts. This third picture has 13 finger leaves, one shorter leaf is on top of another down from the pen tip.
16410611899633644708456024610395.jpg
. Another 13 finger leaf bract.
Peace farmerlion

Taima-da

Do you think that first one looks fasciated and hence the uncontrolled craziness-?👆

Used to get properly developed 13s and the rare 15 but not since the early-mid eighties. Had been thinking that is uncommon to see over 9 these days after having tried many different modern strains, but even with some of the big old school genetics it's not seen so very often.

​​​​​​A Pineapple Banana bud by green mountain seeds just put out a couple of 11s for me, but only on one specimen.

I'd imagine the plant has to be happy enough to want to pump them out, so environmental + genetic factors come into play. (For example I suspect it less likely when the plant is topped, slowing up vegetative momentum).

I've heard someone around icmag say they had thought 13 and 15 leaflet common in old stock from Paraguay (and I'm guessing other places like some of the big Thais and Aceh from which I suspect the stock we used to grow in the early eighties derived)
​​​​

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Do you think that first one looks fasciated and hence the uncontrolled craziness-?👆

Used to get properly developed 13s and the rare 15 but not since the early-mid eighties. Had been thinking that is uncommon to see over 9 these days after having tried many different modern strains, but even with some of the big old school genetics it's not seen so very often.

​​​​​​A Pineapple Banana bud by green mountain seeds just put out a couple of 11s for me, but only on one specimen.

I'd imagine the plant has to be happy enough to want to pump them out, so environmental + genetic factors come into play. (For example I suspect it less likely when the plant is topped, slowing up vegetative momentum).

I've heard someone around icmag say they had thought 13 and 15 leaflet common in old stock from Paraguay (and I'm guessing other places like some of the big Thais and Aceh from which I suspect the stock we used to grow in the early eighties derived)
​​​​

I do know that with the fungal repositories that I developed, for several years now I've experienced unique phenotypic expressions. Landrace genetics and f1 crosses of selected genetics are my preference.

Typical dispensary buds have no character, being multi hybrids crossed to multi hybrids of blah, blah and some more blah. I will be doing an in depth grow tutorial on this forum Cannabis Growing and Advanced Sciences. It will be called,

Making Marijuana Great Again!

I will start assembling the new thread today or tomorrow. For anyone wanting to see increased/new phenotypic expressions please with your favorite genetics. Please stop by and enjoy the cutting edge of cannabis growing.
peace farmerlion

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
After pulling this leaf bracts out of the book. It was very brittle. I placed some laminate over the top of the bracts before I moved it. The clarity is poor but yo can easily se I was wrong on my count of 18 fingers. This bracts actually has 20 finger leaves on one leaf bract.

I took a picture of front and back of the leaf bract. bracts. This third picture has 13 finger leaves, one shorter leaf is on top of another down from the pen tip. . Another 13 finger leaf bract.
Peace farmerlion

Awesome! What did the other leaves look like? Were there others with extra leaves? Very cool

elchischas

Veteran
I used got a old méxican strain that used to got 15
This its another méxican strain and it got 13
IMG_20201002_075348.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts