What's new

MASSACHUSETTS: I need a solid answer.

giroldo

Ive looked at 11ty billion different websites for the last frost date and when to plant outside. I have started a few plants indoors and i am confused as to when i should put them outside.

The overgrown calculator says...

but other websites say not to put plants outdoors until may. Any input will be appreciated.

I need to know the right time!

thank you guys.

webguy

answer

answer

between april and may. you need to watch the weather, i tested a tomato plant a couple days ago, and the sacrafitial lamb didnt make it. best to wait. if you see a 7 day forecast toward the end of april that has temps stayin in the 40's at night with minimal rain and wind you may be good to go. If it drops into the 30's at night you may want to bring her a blanket, maybe make a little pup-tent with a stick.

tokinjoe

Dude that far up North you could get a frost even in April. Definitely the earliest I would go out would be the end of April at the earliest if you are wanting to play it safe. By playing safe you risk nothing, get antsy to get em out and you could lose them which seems to be your concern. Good luck. :joint:

Tokinjoe is right, besides it's better to wait for the ground to warm up. If you wait another week or two and plant when the ground is really warm your plants will take off faster and soon catch up to and pass the early birds plants. Remember - the early bird might get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

hamstring

Veteran
Did you try google?
These are estimates no one can give a solid answer unless you want June 30th.

City Spring Fall
Boston 5/3 10/5
Greenfield 5/26 9/16
Haverhill 5/2 10/6
Hyannis 5/26 9/25
New Bedford 4/20 10/22
Rochester 5/22 9/24
Springfield 4/29 9/29

D

Delta Force

I dont put shit out till may. Stuff gets too tall if put out early in april.............def safe in later april if its hardened off or big enough. But I'd say stick with middle of may.............never had a problem and plants get plenty big.

Latest posts

Latest posts