What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mars Hydro UR45 UV&IR Led Grow Light bars

driver77

I recently purchased a fc8000 with the uv/ir add on bars. My questions are if anybody has any experience running them and if so how?? I see recommendations to run it with the light schedule and then I see only using it before and after lights on/off. And then there is the fact that even though there are switches to each uv or ir....only 1 plug makes this thing impossible to use as described by Mars???

driver77

So my plan is to rewire the switch so I can control both independently on timers......the plan is the ir/uv will both come on 15mins before light and stay on 15mins after lights out. The ir will also run during the day but I haven't figured out for how long yet. Anybody with any experience please chime in.

RDJ Bouns

It is recommended that you do not exceed one hour per day in the early stage. You should gradually increase the length of time and intensity, so that you can minimize the frequency of testing to check the tolerance of plants. There is no unified opinion on how to use it effectively

driver77

It is recommended that you do not exceed one hour per day in the early stage. You should gradually increase the length of time and intensity, so that you can minimize the frequency of testing to check the tolerance of plants. There is no unified opinion on how to use it effectively
So both uv and ir are to be limited to 1 hour per day?

RDJ Bouns

So both uv and ir are to be limited to 1 hour per day?
Try to control it like this in the early stage, and adjust it according to the effect as you mature the lighting control, because the ultraviolet light itself has a short lifespan, is expensive, and is suitable for precise fill light, it is like a seasoning, not a main dish

driver77

I ended up running them with the main lights schedule. I have an UPDAYDAY UA5000 that has uv and ir which I have been running with great results. The percentage of ir/uv is where it gets tricky I think.......I'm going with 75% on fc8000 giving me right around 800-850par at top of my flowering plant....I have another tent with a generic 800w bar light that also has the uv/ir bars and I'm going to run it at 60% which gives me around 650-700par at top of flowering plants. I have seedlings under both also....we shall see what happens
Also I just went full on with the ir/uv bars...no acclimation and see no signs of stress.
I should add that the reason I got these add on bars is because the plants I have under the UA5000 are the smelliest and frostiest compared to their sisters under a lamp without uv/ir.
Just my opinion so don't flame me please. :Bolt:

RDJ Bouns

I ended up running them with the main lights schedule. I have an UPDAYDAY UA5000 that has uv and ir which I have been running with great results. The percentage of ir/uv is where it gets tricky I think.......I'm going with 75% on fc8000 giving me right around 800-850par at top of my flowering plant....I have another tent with a generic 800w bar light that also has the uv/ir bars and I'm going to run it at 60% which gives me around 650-700par at top of flowering plants. I have seedlings under both also....we shall see what happens
Also I just went full on with the ir/uv bars...no acclimation and see no signs of stress.
I should add that the reason I got these add on bars is because the plants I have under the UA5000 are the smelliest and frostiest compared to their sisters under a lamp without uv/ir.
Just my opinion so don't flame me please. :Bolt:
Yes, UVIR can make plants have a burning sensation, just like the human body will turn black, plants will also produce stress, resulting in unique chemical reactions, taste, frosting, all unique flavors

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Thanks for your support, buddy. this is for reference. ;) best wishes to you

recommendation.png

Ca++

The UV LEDs here are an extension of the blue spectrum, at very low levels of output. They shouldn't be confused with what labs are experimenting with, where they are using them cyclically to get some in the leaf, without the leaf building protection that stops that penetration.
That's not to say you can't cycle them, leading to greater effect. It's that the effect will be very minimal. It's mild annoyance at best.
A day on, a day off. Though other methods exist, the idea of doing it every day seems to defeat the object.

The IR is a tool to promote stretch. It has another use, where a bit of illumination for a while after dark, can put the plant to sleep quicker. You probably have 12 hours of lights out though, and don't need them all. So sleeping sooner is unlikely to do anything.
The IR photons seem to be useful for growing with. As useful as red ones. I would probably just keep the IR on, while the lights are on. The UV, I wouldn't use.

driver77

The UV LEDs here are an extension of the blue spectrum, at very low levels of output. They shouldn't be confused with what labs are experimenting with, where they are using them cyclically to get some in the leaf, without the leaf building protection that stops that penetration.
That's not to say you can't cycle them, leading to greater effect. It's that the effect will be very minimal. It's mild annoyance at best.
A day on, a day off. Though other methods exist, the idea of doing it every day seems to defeat the object.

The IR is a tool to promote stretch. It has another use, where a bit of illumination for a while after dark, can put the plant to sleep quicker. You probably have 12 hours of lights out though, and don't need them all. So sleeping sooner is unlikely to do anything.
The IR photons seem to be useful for growing with. As useful as red ones. I would probably just keep the IR on, while the lights are on. The UV, I wouldn't use.
I've left the IR left on to promote the Emerson effect, which combines the use of FR and IR to boost photosynthesis. The UV is not strong enough to really do anything (imho) especially when paired with a strong main light and as you mentioned it is UVA so not near as damaging as UVB(test show UVA is just as effective as UVB for what I'm doing)but it should help counter the IR stretch and add some flavor and potency.......but we shall see...only 1 way to find out for sure :cool: so far plants are showing no sign of stress. All auto's
20230529_042720[894].jpg

Last edited:

driver77

The bars pull 40w on 120v.....the driver pulls 16w on IR and 24w on UV. So just enough to tickle the plants a little.

Last edited:

driver77

Little update pic
20230601_093557[1068].jpg

Still running bars with lights schedule although I do a simulated sunrise/sunset so in the morning and evening the plants get a higher percentage of ir/uv. Getting nice internode spacing and plants seem happy.

Alitolla

TheDarkStorm

Is the uv part on the lights both uvb and uva....as under most of the tests done the increases in the resin compounds are only seen when both are combined...From most of the scientific tests done I dont think much was seen from just uva alone... Maybe combined with other bands other benfits are going on...would be cool to see some comparison grows...its good to see mars putting some more choices out so more we can further enhance things.

Last edited:

driver77

It is uva on
Is the uv part on the lights both uvb and uva....as under most of the tests done the increases in the resin compounds are only seen when both are combined...From most of the scientific tests done I dont think much was seen from just uva alone... Maybe combined with other bands other benfits are going on...would be cool to see some comparison grows...its good to see mars putting some more choices out so more we can further enhance things.
It is uva only.....the tests I read were saying uva got the same results without the extra damage.....I'll try to find it..