What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary Mars FCE-6500 680w LED Grow Journal

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Their size makes it difficult to light the space efficiently. At their present size, 1 takes up the same space as 3 HID lights. I prefer to light the room. Makes the light uniform from one end to the other. I don't need to worry about where the plants are placed in the room. I can only fit 3 LED lights of this size in my room. That would leave too much space unused. At present, it's a hodgepodge of different sized led lights which I don't like.
Maybe a few smaller size fce-3000 or fce-4800 can solve this issue.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I bet not many people really have that problem, and, out of those, many would not care when they found out how much more efficient current leds are when used right, spread over an apropiate surface, and kept at a good height, compared to powerful leds feet away. The tech is not there, and also the phisics say light is lost fast with distance. A compromise must be found, between convenience and efficiency.
I do think and agree the bigger lights are a bit awkward to work under or around, but we'll probably have to find a way that works, without sacrificing light power to the plants.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I prefer to set the lights at a fixed distance. It's a P.I.T.A to raise them as the plants grow. It shouldn't be challenging to make their size smaller while keeping the power and efficacy the same. The 1:1 direct replacement lights are very appealing to me for that reason.

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
I prefer to set the lights at a fixed distance. It's a P.I.T.A to raise them as the plants grow. It shouldn't be challenging to make their size smaller while keeping the power and efficacy the same. The 1:1 direct replacement lights are very appealing to me for that reason.
the lights at a fixed distance works best in my grow rooms ,no room to get in to raise or lower the lights

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some pictures before I relocated the light to the main room.. I got 3 new plants under it now in the main room..

Rev Chimera
DSCN3721.JPG
DSCN3719.JPG

Rev White Truffle
DSCN3720.JPG

snakedope

LED wont produce high quality glue like HID, excellent lights for veg, awful for flowering.
people are saying led is the best for growing, and they are right for that part, BUT !
Trichomes are not plants, so a different approach is needed in making high quality glue, approach only HID bulbs have currently (high intensity)

Other then that, your grows are killer,healthiest plants i ever saw ! keep the HID rocking in your flower room, you wont regret it ;)

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Most of my lights are not hid?. I only have 1 HID light left.. I'll just disagree on LED lights not being able to grow quality weed. Lots of growers are producing quality weed using LED. It has more to do with knowing how than what lights we use.

snakedope

Again, i divide it into 2 sections, growing plants, growing trichomes
In growing plants, LED is the best lights today, hands down
About the trichome part.. well, youll see, you are a trained CMH HPS grower, you will notice in a less quality product, i assure u that, but again to each his own, i like your journals very much.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The biggest prob with all LED lights is there lack of penetration. Adjusting them is PITA. Lots of R&D need to be done to fix this issue. I want my lights to be mounted as high as possible without any degradation in quality or yields. What I find interesting is the data for HID is not much different for distance. For a 1000w HID light it has a 30" hang distance. LED is about intensity, not heat. They use a 24" distance. HID will do far better on penetration. So any growth going on below the canopy won't do well under LED. I get excellent results using HID at further distances of 36". I wish LED was the same. Anyway, ill keep testing LED to see what works best for me.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
here are some shots of the 3 in the main room directly under the 6500.. These are all Hammers Kush. 1 is my keeper the other 2 are from seed. IMO they are happier in here. I'm sure there is some slight overlap from other LEDs but it's minimal.
DSCN3754.JPG
DSCN3755.JPG
DSCN3756.JPG

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
2 of the plants above got culled from intersex issues. They are the 1st I've found in over 30 plants grown, I was bummed. I replaced those with1 Destiny and 1 Cbs1 .