What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana Users Are Safer Drivers Than Non-Marijuana Users, New Study Shows

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Marijuana Users Are Safer Drivers Than Non-Marijuana Users, New Study Shows

driving.jpg

From: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2012/04/06/prweb9375729.DTL

A new study released by United States auto insurance quote provider 4AutoInsuranceQuote.org shows that statistically speaking, marijuana users are safer drivers than non-marijuana users.

New York (PRWEB) April 06, 2012

In a recent study, 4AutoinsuranceQuote.org, a national quote provider for online car insurance quotes, cites a strong correlation between traffic-related accidents and marijuana use. The study, which looks at statistics regarding accidents, traffic violations, and insurance prices, seeks to dispel the thought that "driving while stoned" is dangerous.

In the study, 4AutoInsuranceQuote.org points out that the only significant effect that marijuana has on operating a motor vehicle is slower driving. 4AutoInsuranceQuote.org says, while referencing a study by the US National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), that driving slower "is arguably a positive thing" and that driving under the influence of marijuana "might even make you a safer driver." A similar study by the NHTSA shows that drivers with THC (the active ingredient in marijuana) in their system have accident responsibility rates below that of drug free drivers.

In fact, a recent study shows that use of medical marijuana has caused traffic related fatalities to drop by up to nine percent in states that have legalized its use. This study, titled "Medical Marijuana Laws, Traffic Fatalities, and Alcohol Consumption", conducted by Mark Anderson and Daniel Rees in November 2011, shows that increased marijuana use amongst adults has decreased alcohol related traffic deaths in said states. This study provides solid evidence that marijuana is not only a safe substitute for alcohol, but it also makes for more safer drivers.

"Marijuana users often say that when they are high, they feel like they are driving 80 miles per hour but actually are only going 30 miles per hour," 4AutoInsuranceQuote.org CEO James Shaffer says, "when somebody is drunk driving, on the other hand, they often feel like they are driving 30 miles per hour but are actually driving 80 miles per hour. This is what makes alcohol dangerous behind the wheel, and marijuana safe."

As an auto insurance quote provider, 4autoinsurancequote.org says that marijuana use can also have an indirect effect on insurance rates. Because of the correlation between marijuana use and accident responsibility rates, they say, marijuana users, as a whole, can expect to see lower insurance rates than non-marijuana users.

"The hypocrisy of it all is that if you get caught driving under the influence of marijuana, you will be fined and perhaps thrown into jail. What's worse is that your insurance rates will definitely increase due to the traffic violation," says Mr. Shaffer, "What law enforcement agencies and insurers do not understand is that driving while high is actually a safe activity. I guess the key to safer driving is to use marijuana, but to do it under-wraps."
4AutoInsuranceQuote.org is an auto insurance quote provider operating out of Manhattan, NY. In business since 2008, they offer free insurance quotes online to United States users. In addition, 4AutoInsuranceQuote.org releases reports and studies on the automobile and insurance industries. Recent reports released by them include "How Biking Instead Of Driving Can Help You Save On Auto Insurance," "How Does Your Income Affect Your Insurance Rates?" and "Women Are Bad Drivers - Fact or Fiction?"
For the original version on PRWeb visit: www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2012/4/prweb9375729.htm

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know if I do not smoke until I am wasted my reaction time and overall awareness does not decrease at all if I am stoned. I have done reaction time tests on the computer and playing fps games I do no worse stoned, enough proof for me.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have had 3 accidents so far Im 50. All of them happen while I was not under the influence of cannabis. Cannabis makes you in tune with all things happening around you. Having said that there are a few strains that I would not drive on.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

evidently this doesn't take into account the dozens of accidents I've caused over the years chasing roaches and hot cherries that've fallen into my shirt or shorts whilst motoring along.......

:hotbounce

Danks2005

evidently this doesn't take into account the dozens of accidents I've caused over the years chasing roaches and hot cherries that've fallen into my shirt or shorts whilst motoring along.......

I think we've all come close to lighting our cars on fire with an errant cherry, lol.

When I get behind the wheel I feel like I am running Taladega. If I'm stoned I go the speed limit, use blinkers, and am all around doing everything in my power to drive safe. Never had an accident or even a ticket when stoned. Sober on the other hand I drive like a bat out of hell. The roads are safer when I am stoned.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Not news to me. People drive more slowly when stoned, unlike people who drink and drive. But the pigs who persecute us don't care.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran

And I've always maintained that I did not crash my car because I was drunk, I crashed because I was trying to play the ukelele with my feet while driving.:blowbubbles:

sso

Veteran
not surprising and i concur with the fps games statements.

i play better if anything.

Iraganji

CC_UpInSmoke_MS_5-300x215.jpg

"hey man, am I driving okay?"

"I think we're parked man"

:D

With so much bull making up the press, it's nice to see truth now and again.

sso

Veteran
hmm, even taking into account newbs that just hit on chong´s uberdoobie.

still, you never hear about stoners causing accidents, period.

and you would never not hear about it, if it did happen. the propaganda "people" would just grab that like a kid ina candy store.

never remember having trouble driving stoned, even at the beginning, if you felt you had problems you just drove slower.

then , again, i once drove around town with a full glass of water on the dashboard, on acid.

never spilled a drop, even drove over plenty of those speedbumps.

lol, only time i ever caused a crash, was drunk lol.

rearended this pregnant lady (was a bit of a shock her getting out of the car)

never drove drunk again lol.

though..

one time.. i was really, really drunk, crashed on a friends couch, woke up, fuck this im going home, got into the car.

next thing i know im halfway home, stopped at a light, apparantly i drove all that way, in a blackout.

was a bit of a "wow" moment, but then i just drove home.

ah, my teen years :) (well, up to about mid twenties :D)

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
There was a time when I was doing LSD and got behind the wheel, I thought I was going 100 per miles an hour until I realized I forgot the car keys. :D

believe it or not many 'normal' folk don't even know that 4/20 is the stoners holiday...

but everyone knows what holiday to stay off the roads on...

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
Ive said it before (and i read it somewhere else), a drunk will run a stop sign, a stoner will wait for it to change.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
the last time I drove stoned and had a little accident...

...I had to get out and ask the witnesses; what happened?...:D

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
In heavy rain, an old acquaintance took a bong hit and swerved into oncoming (interstate) traffic. We were lucky. A sizable pack of cars were several hundred yards away. He woke up just prior to t-boning the guard rail.

As the rest of us screamed we were in the wrong lane, the driver calmly swerved back across the grass median, barely missing a concrete storm drain. We were lucky again as no cars were close enough for collision.

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
Why are stoners safer drivers? We don't want to get caught, so we follow the rules.

At least MJ doesn't f-up your judgement. Driving drunk, I just don't care about the laws, those fucker cops will have to catch me.

supermanlives

Veteran
we need our own lane with bumper cars. maybe a 45 mph max. the stoner lane. save gas save lives

Last edited:
L

longearedfriend

yes sir

I knew it

and so did that guy who challenged the court in canada

but to be fair, I don't think it's for everybody

and especially in a prohibition setting, paranoia sets in

I don't smoke while driving, but I admit to smoking and driving, and I'd say I'm definitively more concentrated

for multiple reasons

it's effect, the fact that I know that i'm stoned and I should be careful,

and also I'll bring back the effect

things seem more real at times or rather your mind gets a little zone out

so you can better imagine a crash before it happens, but that's me personally

also, one thing I knew, but I didn't know so well, me and two friends discovered this while taking a trip out of town

they thought I was driving slow, driving 110-120km, that was nothing

after we smoked I drove 80-90 lol

i'm the guy that has a huge line of people behind him :)

I feel bad for people

some are angry, honking

but at the same time, I am minimizing chances of an accident

(I'm not talking about going 40 in a 80er)

Last edited:

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
Another important factor is your experience level. When I first started smoking, I thought time had stopped, and that my heart was beating backwards. Probably good that I was a passenger on the bake cruise at that point. Now that I have some experience under my belt, I think, "Damn, I wish I could get that high again.", as I hop into the car 10 minutes after a bong rip.