What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana Use Is on the Rise ... Among Dogs and Cats

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
SF Weekly -
By Chris Roberts Tue., Dec. 27 2011 at 7:40 AM
====================================================

Animals are known to consume marijuana. In fact, many have long known that pot producers in the northern counties deer-proof their marijuana plants, else docile does and bucks will chew on the buds and leaves. This author once knew a parrot who liked to consume cured bud, as well as stems and seeds, and would actually seek out these mood-altering treats.

Perhaps all this sounds surprising until you stumble across this fact: There's been an increase in marijuana use among dogs, cats, and other domestic pets, according to a report out of Colorado.

Since the legalization of medical marijuana in Colorado, there's been a dramatic "spike" in the number of furry companions being rushed to the vet after mistakenly (or happily?) consuming marijuana, according to a report in the Durango Herald. Vets reported a 30-fold increase in these cases -- and it's not likely to abate, as long as the threat of the semi-legal devil medicine is among us. "Dogs love the stuff," one vet told the newspaper.

Whoa.

The good news is that this is a relatively benign epidemic. According to a study by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals's Animal Poison Control Center, only two deaths out of 250 pet pot cases have been reported -- a cat and a horse, both of whom had other outstanding medical issues.

The ASPCA's study is a bit dated, but if we are allowed to extrapolate, dogs are much more likely to go for an owners' stash, be it a plate of cookies or a bag of bud: About 96 percent of cases involve dogs, while cats are busted munching marijuana only 3 percent of the time. All other pets comprised 1 percent of the total number of cases.

Typical signs of marijuana exposure in pets are loss of muscle control, agitation and anxiety, excessive vocalization, dizziness and confusion, extreme lethargy, and reactions to sounds that may resemble seizures -- and in some cases, loss of bladder control. Heh.

In Colorado, most cases stem from a dog chowing down on marijuana-laced food, though the ASCPA did report one case of a Fido eating three grams of raw bud.

Here in San Francisco, there have been reports of "dog owners blowing smoke in their pets' faces," according to Animal Care and Control Director Rebecca Katz. On one recent occasion, Katz said she received a complaint as part of a "domestic dispute." However, Katz says she can't think of a time when the city has intervened and removed a marijuana-using mutt from a household, or levied fines on their laissez-faire humans.

Katz recommended SF Weekly try local vet clinics to see if pet pot use is on the rise here, too. We contacted several local -- and respectable -- veterinary clinics, but they did not immediately respond to requests for comment. However, we did get some answers from S.F. vet Eric Barchas, who has on his website an entire entry dedicated to the subject, "Marijuana Intoxication in Cats and Dogs."

Poisoning or intoxication caused by marijuana resembles poisoning by other substances, Barchas writes; the difference is that marijuana intoxication runs its course in a few hours, and the regimen of treatment is usually nothing more invasive than "nursing the pet and preventing anxiety," Barchas writes.

Pets may become dehydrated if they're too ripped to remember how to drink water, but other than that, "Serious, long-term health consequences and fatality from marijuana intoxication are essentially unheard of," Barchas notes.

However, there is a risk of poisoning from chocolate if the dog's method of medicating was a cocoa-laden brownie, Katz told SF Weekly.

So, should you get your pet stoned? Probably not. But if Spot does snack on your bud at home, just do as any stoned human would: Dim the lights, lower the volume on the stereo, and let your dog chill out.

sso

Veteran
most my cats dig on eating cannabis leaves.

they wont touch the buds and are selective about what plants they munch on.

similar to not touching the buds, one cat smelled my vietnam sativa (smells Decidedly cannabis)

and kinda "blanched" (dunno how else to describe it) and backed bit off :)

though actually the plants they do munch on, have stronger leaves than the others apart from that sativa (meaning you can smoke them in a pinch)

but even the male of this vn strain was smokable (i Actually preferred smoking its leaves over female leaves (came back from a 3 month trip (allowed my bro to smoke my stash lol (bipolar))

havent tested the female yet though (3 weeks old, 30 seeds, 2 plants :) (and 1 year, didnt really dare to try again till lately (the guy who got them for me, risked beatings by the police to get it for me and didnt even smoke, my brother in law, actually :))

btw, i see no harm in the cats doing this.

eating leaves.

you should see cats on catmint!

lol (got 3 plants, rather large)

they love that shit! (and are seriously doped out (And fine))

they dont do it often though :) but when they do it, they do it.

K

KSP

My first Lab loved the smoke. He would come to you for it, not every time, just on his terms, and leave when he got what he wanted. He could get pretty goofy and rambunctious on the sativas when he was younger. This one loved to drink beer, too.

The Lab I have now wants nothing to do with it at all, and he doesn't drink beer either.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
we have 3 cats but when I trim..my big cat Digerry love to much on some leaves, no bud, just the leaves ...weird lol. We have horses also but I have never tried to get them high, too expensive if they have a bad reaction!

sso

Veteran
My first Lab loved the smoke. He would come to you for it, not every time, just on his terms, and leave when he got what he wanted. He could get pretty goofy and rambunctious on the sativas when he was younger. This one loved to drink beer, too.

The Lab I have now wants nothing to do with it at all, and he doesn't drink beer either.

my oldest cat sometimes if i have a particularily fine smelling smoke, comes to me and tilts her head at me(sniffs the air bit too) till i blow her a bit of smoke (just a tad)

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I read sometime back that some are feeding 'edibles' to their dogs/cats to controll seizures, with some success.

Kalicokitty

The cat that loves cannabis
Veteran
My dogs could care less about the plants, but my cat does like to sneak into the veg room and molest the occasional clone, but only clones, never seed plants.
But she mostly likes to go in there and just lay on the heating mats, lol.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
My black cat is there to munch a couple leaves when I check the grow. After a couple leaves I throw the cat out of the grow. Do cats get any medication from eating raw leaves? In college we had a dog that ate about 1/2 oz and he wasn't much good after that as it made him really dumb.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
You got to watch my cats... when your trimming they will steal the weed on the floor and run across the room....

Bullfrog44

Veteran
I grow outdoors and my two bulldogs will graze on the leaves all the time. I even started noticing leaves hanging out of their mouths when they would go out to the bathroom. Take a dump, eat some pot, return to couch. Sounds like what I like when I have nothing better to do.

My little calico cries like crazy when she is in heat. On and on... I really need to get her fixed!!! She shuts up when I blow a couple puffs in her face though. She lets me hold her on her back like a baby and put my mouth over her face and slowly keep a thick cloud over her face. She likes it and then just goes and lays down. It quiets her down and I assume it helps with the pms. Sometimes she is so loud that I can't even sleep so I definitely like it!! My dog loves eating the leaves but he also likes long blades of grass from the yard. A couple times I put trimmings from my veg cabinet in his bowl just to get rid of them but one day he had his head in my veg cabinet helping himself and that ended the leaf treats real quick. I had a dog that would eat any bud that I left out and chewed up a couple of dugouts to get at the weed in those. Current one only likes the leaves though.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yep my 2 cats are the same, they will much on fan leaves like crazy, have to always keep clones and seedlings off limits else they will eat 'em. trouble is if i let them eat more then 2 or 3 leaves each they will stuff themselves with them till they vomit the leaves out again. but like others have said they don't touch the bud. and definitely prefer some strains to others.

Princess Vahall

Veteran
My cat, loves to eat the leaves. But she will eat just about anything and she always seems out of her mind.

My little Jack Russel (14 lbs.) doesn't like the smoke, but loves eating the stems. She got a hold of a pretty big "twig" a couple of weeks ago and made me quite concerned. She was staggering around, super sensitive to sound -- like she was tripping or something -- all night. I have since cut her off from her stem habit (unless she nabs a little one by accident).
She loves beer too. :)

growbie1

Not only dogs&cats love mj
Rats love to get high! At least all mine did so...
Had 3 over the years, all females. All of them housebroken, and trained, and all of them used to lay down with me while i smoked.
cage was open, and the littel buggars always came out on their own.

Always made shure to exale away from them, for their own good,
but the little ones always got pretty toked and loved it.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
this just in!

apparently, some dogs and cats, in their desperation, have resorted to snorting quack.

ducks everywhere are staging protest!

Smunk

I had 2 dobermans awhile back - My male Dobe hated the stuff. Fresh, burned, vaped, cured or uncured. He would groan and hide his nose when hearing me open the herb jar.

My other Dobe, a female would run into my computer room like a cat after opening a can of tuna. She'd sit right next to me and give me those puppy-dog eyes & be pissed if I didn't share...

barnyard

fresh MJ leaves aren't psycohocative...MJ needs to decarboxylate to become psychoactive.

Put simply, weed needs to dry out to get you stoned.