What's new

Marijuana for trauma: Report shows positive effects of medical cannabis

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Marijuana for trauma: Report shows positive effects of medical cannabis
The Jerusalem Post
Hitting a spliff may just be the best thing for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) next to therapy, according to a recent clinical trial conducted by Soroka University Medical Center and Israeli medical cannabis company Cannbit-Tikun Olam. The study was conducted over several years with the goal of evaluating the safety and efficacy of treatment using medical cannabis.
The results of the trial were considerably positive. Notably, a number of cannabis-medicated patients stopped or reduced their dosages of opioids (by 52%), anti-psychotics (by 36.9%), anti-epileptics (by 35.7%) and hypnotics and sedatives (by 35.3%). Overall, over two thirds of patients reported at least moderate improvement with no serious side effects, with 90.8% of treated PTSD patients being classified as therapeutic successes after six months.

Other benefits included a huge decrease in rage attacks, restlessness, nausea and sleep disturbances. Nearly half of the patients reported that their quality of life had improved during the time of treatment.

Of course, as anyone who’s spent a smoky night wondering if they were being watched should suspect, there were reports of side effects such as dizziness, the munchies, sleepiness and feeling high (which medical cannabis isn’t meant to cause) – though each of these side effects were only experienced by a single-digit percentage of users.

The study focused on 8,500 male and female Israelis, averaging 54.6 years old, using marijuana strains developed by Cannbit-Tikun Olam.
“In the past, we already demonstrated that treatment with medical cannabis products relieves symptoms and improves quality of life for patients,” said the company’s head of R&D, Lihi Bar-Lev Schleider. “This is the first time that in-depth, organized and systematic analysis of a large amount of data on a very large group of patients was performed, and in which, without bias, the effect of the treatment for various indications was examined.”

In December last year, an exclusive and mutual collaboration agreement was signed by Cannbit-Tikun Olam and Teva Israel, wherein the former’s products will be distributed by the latter throughout Israel and the Palestinian Authority.

Teva Israel CEO Yossi Ofek said, “The medical cannabis arena is developing and being professionalized at a dizzying pace in Israel, and there is more openness to it in Israel and worldwide.

“Today, it is clear to many in the pharmaceutical industry and in the medical community that the use of oils produced from specific cannabis strains may provide additional treatment options and respond to unmet medical needs of patients. I have no doubt that the medical cannabis oils Cannbit-Tikun Olam produces – according to Teva’s high quality and safety standards – will help us realize our goal of improving the lives of patients.”
Marijuana for trauma: Report shows positive effects of medical cannabis (msn.com)

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Definitely can be false with a lot of the bullshit in dispensary. Or true with good properly grown stuff not rushed for profit.

goingrey

It works for the moment but when you quit everything you haven't dealt with will come back to haunt you.

But hey, sometimes you need to take care of responsibilities instead of yourself.

hamstring

Veteran
My understanding is that psychedelic drugs, along with counseling, help because they open your mind to outside interaction. All of these drugs wear off but its the help that goes on while you are them that stays with people. Opioids on the other hand have no my mind expanding properties more the opposite, you go inward vs outward.

Gry

Veteran
No place else seems to be going full tilt with cannabis R&D like Israel.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
No place else seems to be going full tilt with cannabis R&D like Israel.

leading the world in research on cannabis. given the countries size, incredible. imagine what WE could do if not handcuffed by policies designed specifically to hold us back...thanks, tricky dick & ron, for fucking NOTHING...

entropical

Veteran
leading the world in research on cannabis. given the countries size, incredible. imagine what WE could do if not handcuffed by policies designed specifically to hold us back...thanks, tricky dick & ron, for fucking NOTHING...

Israeli lobby runs your country, you stay in your place.

Cactus Squatter

My understanding is that psychedelic drugs, along with counseling, help because they open your mind to outside interaction. All of these drugs wear off but its the help that goes on while you are them that stays with people. Opioids on the other hand have no my mind expanding properties more the opposite, you go inward vs outward.

This is it exactly!

I work with a lot of people suffering from PTSD. We’ve found that cannabis and communication work amazingly well to really open people up and work through certain things. To be able to receive outside perspectives on events so the individual can’t just keep repeating the same internalized hellscape they’ve created around their trauma.
I’m not a doctor, I have no peer reviewed studies and no “mainstream credibility” but through both group smoke sessions while talking things out as well as one on one sessions with individuals I can see a huge difference in the openness of people who are cannabis users vs those who are not.

It definitely works. Sometimees I run out of weed, and that is a trauma. But then I get more weed and the trauma of not having weed goes away. It works at every level, lol ☺

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Drug cannabis not CBD blocks traumatic memory what i mean by that is you dont forget the event but you dont re live it many times a day.

This has been known for years.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
There's definitely evidence that CBD will help with PTSD. I used to avoid CBD but I'm a convert, and I know a few others that it has done wonders for.

CBD and PTSD: Research Studies

According to a study published in Frontiers in Pharmacology, CBD may effectively treat PTSD and an array of specific phobias (1). The effects of CBD were tested on rats that had been regularly exposed to intense fear. Similar to other prey animals, rats tend to adopt a ‘freeze response’ when their life is in danger, but when they were exposed to the same stimuli after being treated with CBD, the level of fear dropped considerably.

In a 2009-2011 study by Greer, Grob, and Halberstadt, the research team evaluated the PTSD response after giving cannabis to 80 patients. The scientists reported a 75% reduction in PTSD-related symptoms on the Clinical Administered Post-traumatic Scale (CAPTS) (2).

Preclinical evidence from 2015 also confirmed that CBD had a strong potential for treating multiple anxiety disorders, including PTSD. The study underlined the effectiveness of acutely administered CBD, adding that the long-term health benefits of the cannabinoid make it a desired supplement for stress management throughout the day (3).

A 2016 study found a link between drugs acting on the endocannabinoid system and the reduction of the symptoms experienced by individuals with PTSD after a memory extinction procedure. The authors of the study attributed these results to the CB1 receptors, which regulate anxiety and memory (4).

Another 2016 study provided clinical evidence that supports the efficacy of CBD as an alternative to pharmaceutical PTSD treatments. The case study involved a girl with PTSD-triggered insomnia; according to the researchers, the girl showed a significant improvement in her PTSD symptoms as well as in her sleep patterns (5).

Finally, a 2019 literature review on medical cannabis, synthetic cannabinoids, and PTSD found that CBD may be an effective treatment for the condition. However, the study concludes that scientists still need more in-depth research on CBD’s therapeutic applications, efficacy, and safety (6).

CBD or THC: Which Is More Effective for PTSD?

As you might have noticed, we’ve mentioned that some studies have tested both THC and CBD as the potential treatment for PTSD. Among those who have experienced the medical benefits of marijuana, there’s a debate over THC and anxiety-related disorders.

THC is directly responsible for the psychotropic effects of marijuana. In low and moderate doses, it can relieve stress and anxiety by providing deep relaxation and a euphoric mood. However, when a person consumes too much THC at a time, it may backfire at you, exacerbating anxious feelings.

However, these results were observed in healthy people with balanced levels of anandamide — the so-called bliss molecule that controls our feelings of happiness, well-being, and calm. People with PTSD have low concentrations of anandamide in the blood, and thus may have a harder time dealing with traumatic memories and feelings of anxiety.

The cannabinoids in cannabis, specifically CBD and THC, act much like anandamide by changing the way cannabinoid receptors work. However, they do it in a different manner. While THC tricks your brain that there is more anandamide in the bloodstream, CBD signals the endocannabinoid system to produce the necessary amount of the endocannabinoid — leveling out imbalances.

Since CBD doesn’t directly bind to the CB1 receptor in the brain, it doesn’t cause a high. For this reason, many PTSD patients choose CBD oil with only trace amounts of THC in order to reap the health benefits without the psychoactive buzz and the risk of causing the aforementioned backfire effect.

If you live in a place that has a medical marijuana program, you can try CBD oil with higher levels of THC, but for many people out there, such products are out of reach due to the legal status of marijuana in their country or state. The only type of CBD oil legal in all 50 states is the one that comes from hemp plants.

Finally, there’s a 2018 review of literature suggesting that a combination of CBD and THC may be the most effective cannabis treatment for PTSD (11).
https://cfah.org/cbd-for-ptsd/

Last edited:

Lebanizer

I agree whole heartedly and the therapeutic context is essential. By itself the drug wouldn't do much and could even backfire. The therapeutic context provides the framework for the drug to do its magic. It's exactly like during a session with a curandero, you need them to guide you for the experience to be useful.

Cactus Squatter

I doubt this would work with chronic cannabis users. What would?

A lot of the people we work with, myself included, are chronic/very heavy users and it still works really well for us.
Sessions are noticeably more productive and open, people are more honest about what’s going on and more open to suggestions and help. We’ve also found that tighter friendships seem to be made in the groups we work with that share cannabis together vs those that don’t. They’re usually more comfortable and relaxed around each other.

But it’s not just the smoke that does it. It’s the conversational flow, the subjects we talk about, the trust. It’s all equally as important as the cannabis is for opening up the door.

VenerableHippie

Cactus Squatter;n18093105 But it’s not just the smoke that does it. It’s the conversational flow said:
Yes. I know something of Group Work. I 'm glad you included this. (Bye the way, tongue in cheek now, does yr Username mean you're a hard ass?)

Cactus Squatter

Yes. I know something of Group Work. I 'm glad you included this. (Bye the way, tongue in cheek now, does yr Username mean you're a hard ass?)

😂
A little bit of a hardass, a lot bit of being a cactus lover that always seems to squat down on one when I’m not paying enough attention.
The day I created my account here I had just got done removing a bunch of spines from my butt cheeks.

Latest posts

Latest posts