What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Males sticky pollen

PolyChucker

I’m trying to cross Citrus Rush (skunk tangie X Dosidos) with Lemon Cherry Gelato. The LCG are clones and Citrus Rush are regular seeds. The CR seeds were a couple years old now that I finally get around to sprouting them - didn’t get all of them to grow - so I got 5 females, 2 males, 2 runts. My two males look good but I’m 4 weeks after flip and it’s time to pollinate and the males are flowering but not dusting. When I shake them there isn’t the usual cloud. If I pull off a male flower I can see little yellow sticky clumps of pollen but not much. I still want to make seeds but a little concerned there is going to be fertility issues going forward. Have you all had this problem before?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I’m trying to cross Citrus Rush (skunk tangie X Dosidos) with Lemon Cherry Gelato. The LCG are clones and Citrus Rush are regular seeds. The CR seeds were a couple years old now that I finally get around to sprouting them - didn’t get all of them to grow - so I got 5 females, 2 males, 2 runts. My two males look good but I’m 4 weeks after flip and it’s time to pollinate and the males are flowering but not dusting. When I shake them there isn’t the usual cloud. If I pull off a male flower I can see little yellow sticky clumps of pollen but not much. I still want to make seeds but a little concerned there is going to be fertility issues going forward. Have you all had this problem before?
That's a good ideal friend, you can get more out of your grow. If the pollen comes in contact with the pistil it will stick and you don't have to worry. It doesn't take a pollen cloud to make seeds. Just a few pollen grains are all it takes on contact.

The only thing I'm concerned with is your timing which may not even matter or be a problem. When making a seed one's productivity should be based on seed and not weed because of the timing it takes to make a mature seed. Keep us posted on the results and I wish you the best of luck. Thanks for the post.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
It could be a damp or humid atmosphere. You really want dry warm air around your male when harvesting pollen.

PolyChucker

@Creeperpark the timing is as follows -
Usually my plants take 9 weeks of flower from the flip. 1 week after the flip nothing is happening then they actually start to show pistil clusters. 8 weeks of flower after that. So usually I pollinate on week 4 since the seeds need 5 weeks that takes me to the end at 9 wks
These plants I haven’t worked with before seem to be faster and will be done a week or two earlier than that but they can chill for a little longer - turn the lights down a bit

Latest posts

Latest posts