What's new

Male Pollen Threat after harvest?

LILHIP

Well one of my ladys turned out to be a hermi without me catching it so all my ladys got pollenated :( what a bummer.Here is my ? I have some new seeds vegging to go in right after I harvest these.Are they under any threat from the old pollen of the hermies before I sex them.Whats the life span of male pollen

JLP

Veteran
The pollen will be inert by the time your next plants flower.

JLP

G

Why do you say the pollen would be inert?

If it can get air born and rid the wind for miles to land on a female bud far away, maybe that only takes days time, so what is the true active life of the pollen?

24hours, 72 hours, 7 days, or 90 days??

How long can it be stored, and is it the storage method that allows it to remain good for that length of time, or is it just he life span of the pollen?

Wonder if honey bee's would process the cannabis pollen into honey, hummmm, food for thought.

I have yet to be successful at growing out a male for pollen, trying again now, but I have had hermie's do their thing, and I did get fooled once by a male that I was a bit rough in removing that gave me a bit of seed. I was told a nice solid hot steam cleaning of the grow area would kill all pollen and bug's. Nothing like starting in a clean room.

Hope you the best, grow safe.

realhigh.

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Pollen dehydrates eventually, even if nothing else is done...

Pollen dehydrates eventually, even if nothing else is done...

time will cure the viable pollen problem. :)

"Biology of Pollination

Pollination is the event of pollen landing on a stigmatic surface such as the pistil, and fertilization is the union of the staminate chromosomes from the pollen with the pistillate chromosomes from the ovule.

Pollination begins with dehiscence (release of pollen) from staminate flowers. Millions of pollen grains float through the air on light breezes, and many land on the stigmatic surfaces of nearby pistillate plants.
If the pistil is ripe, the pollen grain will germinate and send out a long pollen tube much as a seed pushes out a root.
The tube contains a haploid (in) generative nucleus and grows downward toward the ovule at the base of the pistils.
When the pollen tube reaches the ovule, the staminate haploid nucleus fuses with the pistillate haploid nucleus and the diploid condition is restored.

Germination of the pollen grain occurs 15 to 20 minutes after contact with the stigmatic surface (pistil); fertilization may take up to two days in cooler temperatures.

Soon after fertilization, the pistils wither away as the ovule and surrounding calyx begin to swell. If the plant is properly watered, seed will form and sexual reproduction is complete. It is crucial that no part of the cycle be interrupted or viable seed will not form.

If the pollen is subjected to extremes of temperature, humidity, or moisture, it will fail to germinate, the pollen tube will die prior to fertilization, or the embryo will be unable to develop into a mature seed.
Techniques for successful pollination have been designed with all these criteria in mind."

excerpt is from Marijuana Botany by Robert Connell Clarke

I found this factoid elsewhere and found it interesting...
in Afghanistan, Kashmir, Nepal, etc where the wild plants that grow up at the melt line are pure sativa and yet the plants grown in lower slope terraces to the valley bottoms are cultivated indicas. It has been like this for generations. You never see indicas on the upper slopes and only occasionally the odd hybrid in the cultivated fields. Seeing there is only a few thousand ft difference in elevation you would think they would would all cross hybridise in a generation or so, but it doesn't seem to happen.

And yes, the bees around fields make cannabis (usually hemp) pollen based honey. Hmmm, I'd sure like to try that hashfield variety.

:)