What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi x Panama

nattyroots

Great looking plants Legalcdn. I have a couple Mal Panama fems going and have to say they were the last ones to start flowering as well (after congos and zacateca tribute). I'm at 22 S outdoors.

Also a bit like yours, one Mal Pan seems to be a bit faster than the other putting out hairs earlier (and yellowing a little bit in the lower leaves, but that's probably my fault with being too careful with nutes (and having a lot of rain on them a few weeks back.) No smells so far. I think they're probably about 2-3 weeks into flowering. I will do a better job of training them next time. So far so good, really looking forward to trying these in a few weeks.
IMG_2654.jpeg

Legalcdn

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220321-203650_Gallery.jpg Views:	23 Size:	122.4 KB ID:	18105170
Great looking plants Legalcdn. I have a couple Mal Panama fems going and have to say they were the last ones to start flowering as well (after congos and zacateca tribute). I'm at 22 S outdoors.

Also a bit like yours, one Mal Pan seems to be a bit faster than the other putting out hairs earlier (and yellowing a little bit in the lower leaves, but that's probably my fault with being too careful with nutes (and having a lot of rain on them a few weeks back.) No smells so far. I think they're probably about 2-3 weeks into flowering. I will do a better job of training them next time. So far so good, really looking forward to trying these in a few weeks.

They will be monsters watch out. My friend last year grew the mal x pan outdoors at 42 lat north and it was huge. It was the top weed he harvested and i am still smoking it. He grew about 20 different strains.. purple satelite, mal xpan, gg4 , malawi, blockhead, bubba kush, congo, ssh x rcc.. the ace strains were really good. I like the mal x pan but the congo is a great uplifting smoke.

keep posting.

I will selectively pollinate 4 branches this week.

Last edited:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
CannaRed sweet grape candy is not typical terpepe profile of Malawi x Panama, kindly post some pics in flowering of the plant you have doubts and hopefully i will be able to confirm whether it is this strain or not.

Strong seedlings Legalcdn :) take a close look on the preflowers of the other 2 because they should start to show their gender clearly in their third-fourth week under flowering photoperiod.

My buddy didn't want me taking photos at his house. But he gave me a branch of the malpan that I originally gave him when I thought It was a male.. that's what I get for assuming gender nowadays.
it's rooting now.
I'll grow it out one day so you can see the structure. I smelled the dried buds and the grape candy aroma was still there, tho not as strong as when the plant was
IMG_20220322_115231072.jpg
growing.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Legalcdn really nice and healthy Mal x Pan indoor bush :yes: She is filling up the whole cage in a very efficient way, very promising structure for a great yield! Glad to hear you and your friends tested so many ACE strains and that you enjoyed most of them, Congo is indeed a great happy uplifting smoke, Malawi x Panama is much stronger and heavier.

Hi nattyroots, glad to see your Mal x Pan plants too. The genetics are going to enjoy and perform very well in your subtropical latitude. Consider to transplant them directly to the soil, they will flower much more abundantly and with less deficiencies.

Legalcdn

So 2 branches on each plant were dusted so i should get some interesting seeds.

I am just really surprised at the different plant structure. I have grown malawi and it resembles the plant on the right. The plant on left, do panama dominant in the mal x pan get that tall? I have been bending them over to get uniform lighting across the top. Is it panama dominant? Both have good NLD structure. I am about week 5 of flowering at 10.5hr/13.5hr in coco and jacks 321. The right has fruit smell but not so much on the left. No nutes burn so it looks good so far.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220401-102934_Gallery.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.3 KB ID:	18115028

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Legalcdn, i cannot fully appreciate its structure,but yes the plant on the left reminds me more the taller and lankier Panama phenos rather than Malawi. The one on the right is going to yield well ;)

Legalcdn

The panama dominant (left) one is getting rounded top colas compared to the spear shaped malawi dominant. I think it might produce more. Both looking well and the auto watering rings have been activated. 5 more weeks I suspect.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220415-124250_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220415-124250_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 189
Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
heheheheh so glad to hear it Cactus Squatter it's great when you can surprise to long time canna smoker friends with new experiences they would never expect ;)

very healthy and great flower development Legalcdn well done (y) Now they are in their last third of flowering you can start to learn in a more evident way about their terpene profiles, whether they lean more towards the woody oily Malawi terps or towards the more elaborated citrc musky and incensey Panama terps (or a blend of both).

Legalcdn

I have been vaping malpan from last year's harvest and it is quite electric. There is no relaxing when vaping it.

Plant is starting to ripen more each day. The last pic, the cola is easily 16 inches. I grew malawi last year and some of those smells are present.
Screenshot_20220428-124150_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220428-124232_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220428-124301_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hola @Legalcdn this one has advanced a lot in the last 2 weeks since the previous update and looks now close to be ripen, so better start decreasing the feeding-flushing with this one. Looking really nice ;) have a great weekend!

Legalcdn

So a couple days of humidity at 75% and some 15C and botrytris started. I had to toss 2 huge colas and 3 medium sized buds. I increased airflow and it helped. I searched every bud and it looks fine now. I began harvesting the pan dominant as it was the problem child. The malawi dom was not impacted. I will harvest everything this week. As prevention, i will dunk every bud in hydrogen peroxide. This will be week 13. Like at the blackjack table, i will cash my chips and be thankful. I have clones.

The colas are quite long which is super. I have 10 hanging with 40% done.

Pretty easy strain to grow. I would probably defoliate some leaves next time to reduce humidity.

Legalcdn

So i did a h2o2 wash and rinse. Next to zero mold, just 4 minor botrytris areas before wash.

This strain is a superstar. When they have cured, i will give a smoke report.

These are the biggest colas i have grown. The scrog racks they are lying on are 2ftx2.5ft.

Pan dom
Screenshot_20220520-142518_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220520-142444_Gallery.jpg

Malawi dom
Screenshot_20220520-142551_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220520-142416_Gallery.jpg

My guess, 12-14oz. Anyone else guess?

Legalcdn

Well, my guess was off by a little. One plant yielded 286gr and the other yielded 246gr, plus 56gr of mids (for RSO) with a grand total of 588gr (about 21oz).
Biggest harvest to date from 2 plants.
Easy to trim, and and buds are caked with resin. I will provide a good smoke report after curing. Early samples had me forget things I was doing, a real speedy high.

nattyroots

Amazing harvest LegalCdn and incredible report.

Just finished drying two mal x panama. finished outdoors 20 S at around 80/90 days, but falling sun cut back direct sunlight halfway to harvest, so I think they could have done way better. they also got battered with rain in late flowering, which I think messed things up a bit, and I cut a few buds off due to fungal issues. And both plants I think prob could have taken a little more p/k to dense things up and less N so I'll make sure to do that next time. Wish I could have yielded more (but I always wish I could have yielded more) but these are killer.

One leans more Panama and one More Malawi. Panama leaner really has that haze smell but not as many trichs (although it's packed with trichomes). But I really love that limonene terpinolene church incense vibe, so I'm very happy with what I got. It's strong and racy. I figured maybe the Hazes got it from Colombian/Panamanians.

The one that leans to Malawi has more trichs but the smell/taste is not as good (no whole plant pic) The planted yielded less, but had buds leaning all over the place by the time of harvest. I need to structure it better next time. The smell is tough to place. I had carrot juice at first on plant but now it's like 7th grade locker room with light disinfectant in the jars. Although not as pleasant to smell as the Panama leaner, it's more caked with trichs. The bottom of the jar where i was pre-curing them was just filled with crystals with mininum handling. Really impressive. The informal dry sift i gathered is really potent. As is the flower. I can def see how overconsuming this would not be good. Incredible.

Next time I'll try to do them better and veg them longer. They were both from a fem back.

Thanks Dubi (and CG) for great work
tricsjar.jpg
malpanharvbud.jpg
moremalpanbudharv.jpg
mal-pan-atharv.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts