What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

funkyhorse

Hardwood is difficult using for tying
I find hemp thread very useful, it is strong
I use fresh banana bark. As it dries it cures together with the buds
These are some early harvested Mauritius x Ethiopian buds turned brick I will try in 6 months
M x E 2 brick (3).jpeg
M x E 2 brick (2).jpeg
M x E 2 brick (1).jpeg

The difference between the Mauritius and Zamal is interesting, Zamal is auto but Mauritius is not.
I would have expected similar plants coming from neighbouring islands
@Far_out
You mentioned pencil Durban.
I never smoked Durban in my life, what I grew coming from the canna banks carrying the tag Durban didnt convince me at all
What can you tell us about this pencil Durban?

Tangwena, I am reading something interesting Far Out posted about the cure
I am trying a thermal amplitude temperature cure and this is the opposite of what they were doing burying and curing in the dong for stable temperatures. In South America weed use to be hidden and the best is burying it. Burying also brings stable temperatures
I am more inspired in the swing temperatures because Fumo da Lata/Maconha da Lata was there in the ocean slowly cooking open sea in temperature swing and the results I got curing like this were very good
Did any of you make a side by side comparison or have experience between same buried cob and unburied?

Have a nice weekend everyone and take it easy

Rastafarout

Premium user
@funkyhorse the timber here in Africa must be different , as I’ve seen a lot of wood strips used to make baskets ,mats, fencing
And the high heat here shrinks it fast

Durban pencils where very common in Durban at one stage , but my experience was late 80s
It was a very good sticky small buds
sweet pepperish earth , sometimes clovey that had also usually been kind of compressed , probably rubbed between two hands
For those pencil shape. It’s debated that it probably comes from Lesotho a lot , Transkei a little (first grade) I agree
basically all the best grown SA weed
But I also had some really good peppers from zululand
so who can really say this late in time what’s true
re location …

Rastafarout

Premium user
@Perdido , no I haven’t I’m going to probably guess it’s some weed that was taken there and been grown in the surrounding area
I mean it’s not a known growing area it doesn’t rain there at all really so I can’t see wild cannabis growing there
not to mention it’s an Afrikaner town and they are anti cannabis people,
strictly conservative , so I would be very surprised imo
Also Lrt tell a lot of porky pies
Dm me if you want

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
So this morning we decided that it was time to break out the Zacateca tribute.

This was made mid October 2022, so 7months old; perfect.

IMG_20230529_115153.jpg

The smell is too die for! Very sweet indeed. It reminded me of a smell/taste that I remember from childhood, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. The high from it, (well, the ones I've already tried), is very euphoric and quite giggly. Not as energetic as say the Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian but still plenty of energy. Quite extroverted social cob, really good for parties.
IMG_20230529_115217.jpg

Have a great week folks!.

Tangwena

Veteran
Phew! I can smell and taste that from here ha ha.
When they are those contrasting colors they usually reek of sweet fruit and floral odors.
AND I love the glossy finish on the surface as well I'd give anything to sniff the bag ha ha.
I'd ask you to mail it but I dont think the customs would even need their dog ha ha.

IMG_20230529_115153.jpg

Pédetoddy

oook o que você usou para um invólucro, que você teve que amarrá-lo?
Corn husks.
here many people smoke traditional tobacco cigarettes wrapped in corn straw. these traditional cigarettes use fermented tobacco and have a very strong smell when it burns sometimes even resembling the smell of burning marijuana. That way I can smoke anywhere here without attracting too much attention.

ost

Corn husks.
here many people smoke traditional tobacco cigarettes wrapped in corn straw. these traditional cigarettes use fermented tobacco and have a very strong smell when it burns sometimes even resembling the smell of burning marijuana. That way I can smoke anywhere here without attracting too much attention.
must be nice, around here if the think they smell a 2 day old odor ,it could lead to trouble.

Tangwena

Veteran
Seeded Mulanje Gold from Christmas grow I took a good dose today and also had a piece that purple budlet in the left hand corner of the pic.
The seedless edition of this pheno will have a lot to beat ha ha, super trippy real Malawi Gold high very intense yeeha! ha ha ha ha.
Did I mention the ghost of an aroma in these cured buds its the sort of smell that never leaves your memory its branded in there ha ha along with the high.

img_2852-web.jpg
img_2847-web.jpg
img_2848-web.jpg
img_2850-web.jpg

ost

Seeded Mulanje Gold from Christmas grow I took a good dose today and also had a piece that purple budlet in the left hand corner of the pic.
The seedless edition of this pheno will have a lot to beat ha ha, super trippy real Malawi Gold high very intense yeeha! ha ha ha ha.
Did I mention the ghost of an aroma in these cured buds its the sort of smell that never leaves your memory its branded in there ha ha along with the high.

View attachment 18849355 View attachment 18849352 View attachment 18849353 View attachment 18849354
i am getting close to my 90 days cure, will most likely try a chew in three weeks, then save the rest for the New Years Party!@ least i will be slideways!

Nannymouse

Okay. Ten grams of dispensary weed sweated and now a week into the 'month' of warm. We had sweet corn, so did use corn husk. It took a mix of what i had on hand from the dispensary, which was Columbian Jack and Blue Dream. Neither are the high percentage sativa that you guys use, so i dunno how it will turn out. I don't recall seeing hybrids or 'indicas' cobbed, so if anyone has done these, let us know how they turned out.

The initial sweat was done for 24 hours in a sous vide bath. Then, i searched the house for something suitable for the 'month long' warming, all the while grumbling about donating my expensive chick hatcher to the 4-H kids. The new-fangled electronics and refrigerator tops are just not warm like the old ones, but finally found something suitable that 'stays on'(the heating pad mostly all turn off after an hour or so). What i found was my old heater base for keeping water for the chickens from freezing. It's still too warm to set the cob directly, so put an old cake pan on top. Oh, it is all clean, as i never used the water warmer 'bare', always had it covered with a plastic bag when using in the barns.

I sure hope that this is going to save me some $$$, as compared to home grown, this dispensary stuff seems expensive, although i do understand how their are more expenses for the dispensary stuff, with dedicated buildings, security, testing and all that jazz. I guess if i can't do it mice self, i am happy that they do all that testing. But, still, a hundred bux for a half oz of trimmings...