What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
finally i'm trying this pressing method for cob curing. it's just an late experiment, becos the plant material was not fresh anymore, but it was curing in a jar for about two months or so (still alive by hydration level 64%). well, i decide to make it wet again, so i stored them in a plastic bag with piece of cucumber, and also i did spray a little bit of water on them. after that i pressed them together (small one 5gr dry weight, big one 10gr).

now they are already sweated for 1 hour in 50c + 16 hours in 40c. next i put them in a tight vacuum bag and ferment them in 30c for 5 to 7 days. no more rolling with ropes. also i like this shape a lot more.

Attachments

• cob1.png
    cob1.png
    288 KB · Views: 77
  • cob2.png
    cob2.png
    590.1 KB · Views: 75
  • cob3.png
    cob3.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 90

Tangwena

Veteran
finally i'm trying this pressing method for cob curing. it's just an late experiment, becos the plant material was not fresh anymore, but it was curing in a jar for about two months or so (still alive by hydration level 64%). well, i decide to make it wet again, so i stored them in a plastic bag with piece of cucumber, and also i did spray a little bit of water on them. after that i pressed them together (small one 5gr dry weight, big one 10gr).

now they are already sweated for 1 hour in 50c + 16 hours in 40c. next i put them in a tight vacuum bag and ferment them in 30c for 5 to 7 days. no more rolling with ropes. also i like this shape a lot more.
Nice candy bar type press my friend they should cure nicely now.

blondie

Actually two lovely ladies. Punta Rosa cannabiogen and Mullimbany madness x haze 21 cross. The one good size donk standing up tall and proud is the mm. Supposedly Thai genetics in the ancestry. Leaning over is the PR. That one is a Panama mother x columbian father. The image is about day 53 from flip. I’m really stoked to try this method but am a twinge nervous about mold.

I have an 8 rack dehydrator I use for jerky and other items. I’m still reading through this thread and have seen some reference to using heat to dry bud in some way. I dont yet get how heat is used but wondering if my dehydrator might be useful? I’m guessing drying bud quickly before vacuum bagging is what was being discussed?

Tangwena

Veteran
Actually two lovely ladies. Punta Rosa cannabiogen and Mullimbany madness x haze 21 cross. The one good size donk standing up tall and proud is the mm. Supposedly Thai genetics in the ancestry. Leaning over is the PR. That one is a Panama mother x columbian father. The image is about day 53 from flip. I’m really stoked to try this method but am a twinge nervous about mold.

I have an 8 rack dehydrator I use for jerky and other items. I’m still reading through this thread and have seen some reference to using heat to dry bud in some way. I dont yet get how heat is used but wondering if my dehydrator might be useful? I’m guessing drying bud quickly before vacuum bagging is what was being discussed?
The dehydrators are mostly used to sweat the vacuum sealed cobs due to their good temp control.
Dry the buds slowly before cobbing, fast dried buds are low quality buds.
You wont get mold if you do it right.

Those buds probably need 3 to 5 days slow drying then vacuum bagged before putting them into a warm heat source.
I would watch the buds color change through the bag as soon as you see the green start changing to tan and yellow ect remove them from the heat source and allow them to dry out of the vacuum bag.

Once dry to the touch on the outside re seal them in the vacuum bag and store in a warm location.
Once you get to that stage other experienced curers will give you plenty of hints what to do on this thread.

That is only ONE way to do it there are many variations to it but you wont get mold if you do it right.

Airloom

Veteran

Looking good
I managed to grab a pack of NH21xMM from Blackbird Preservations a while ago.

That was the first of many most expensivest (2 chains/Vice TV) seed purchases based upon raves here. Got a CMH light ordered and hoping to get new space set up soon to run them beans. Thanks for posting the pictures. I’ve got an indoor finishing any day I may Cobb some. Never done it and certainly have plenty of cured flower so wtf???
🎯

blondie

Airloom go for it!! I’m watching this thread these days in anticipation.

Tangwena THANKS. Gracias Jankuya Gratzy shi shi ni merci beu cu . That’s thanks in every way I know to say. I’m starting to think that tablespoon of infused olive oil with dinner a while ago really fucked me up. Yeah I’m quite sure really.
I’m a little bummed. I had some pollen floating around the tent it appears. I will soon be the proud owner of some studly mm x Pr ladies seeds. Some are quite seeded, some are not. I was wondering what cobbing with some seeded bud would do. I’m thinking shouldn’t affect it unless it’s heavily seeded?

ost

Looking good
I managed to grab a pack of NH21xMM from Blackbird Preservations a while ago.

That was the first of many most expensivest (2 chains/Vice TV) seed purchases based upon raves here. Got a CMH light ordered and hoping to get new space set up soon to run them beans. Thanks for posting the pictures. I’ve got an indoor finishing any day I may Cobb some. Never done it and certainly have plenty of cured flower so wtf???
🎯
1st cob for me also, (this has been in the vac bag 4 days then i catch on to the heat thing, stoner move) put vac seal bag , on heat mat last night sweat ,big time. cut open vac bag(3 hrs) let dry and reseal.

ost

been wanting to do "cobs" --thanks for the info - any spec ial information about cobs - my son bought me a air-sealer.. thought you just air seal it and ????? Need to do more reshearch - any other sites for making cobs ? need to digest information
so far this has been the place to be for cob info,havent seen pride or anything but info being shared the right way with passion.

islandpreservation

Greetings I have followed these cobs thread for years, such an amazing journey from beginning to end. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with cobbing in banana pseudostems> the trunk I have heard is more traditionally used than the leaves for cobs. I am curious if the trunks pieces are fully dried before use. Large long strips peel off the trunk real nice and seem like they would work well. Could use any pointers of how this is done. Much thanks

Tangwena

Veteran
Greetings I have followed these cobs thread for years, such an amazing journey from beginning to end. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with cobbing in banana pseudostems> the trunk I have heard is more traditionally used than the leaves for cobs. I am curious if the trunks pieces are fully dried before use. Large long strips peel off the trunk real nice and seem like they would work well. Could use any pointers of how this is done. Much thanks
Yes dry the sections of bark they will end up like fibrous cardboard very strong and wont tear or break.
Traditional banana bark cobs were the most common type found back in the day very good for cob making.

Tangwena

Veteran
Airloom go for it!! I’m watching this thread these days in anticipation.

Tangwena THANKS. Gracias Jankuya Gratzy shi shi ni merci beu cu . That’s thanks in every way I know to say. I’m starting to think that tablespoon of infused olive oil with dinner a while ago really fucked me up. Yeah I’m quite sure really.
I’m a little bummed. I had some pollen floating around the tent it appears. I will soon be the proud owner of some studly mm x Pr ladies seeds. Some are quite seeded, some are not. I was wondering what cobbing with some seeded bud would do. I’m thinking shouldn’t affect it unless it’s heavily seeded?
Did someone say seeded?
Seeds are fine and can make good cobs it def improves the taste ha ha.
Seriously though it makes no difference to the cures effectiveness.

img_2478-web.jpg

ost

i am of no help new to me tek.

Taima-da

If it sweats a lot you may want to get it done
1st cob for me also, (this has been in the vac bag 4 days then i catch on to the heat thing, stoner move) put vac seal bag , on heat mat last night sweat ,big time. cut open vac bag(3 hrs) let dry and reseal.
If you had a heavy sweat leaving a lot of moisture in the bag, especially if showing a great degree of colour change, you may want to dry it a bit more thoroughly than three hours the next few times you open to inspect. Say at least overnight or all day.
If it starts off fast it can be easy to underestimate how much further it will ferment in the upcoming few months of aging. Starting to dry well help stabilise the cob and control the degree of ferment.

ost

If it sweats a lot you may want to get it done
If you had a heavy sweat leaving a lot of moisture in the bag, especially if showing a great degree of colour change, you may want to dry it a bit more thoroughly than three hours the next few times you open to inspect. Say at least overnight or all day.
If it starts off fast it can be easy to underestimate how much further it will ferment in the upcoming few months of aging. Starting to dry well help stabilise the cob and control the degree of ferment.
that i can do !

Latest posts

Latest posts