What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

I cobbed after 1 day of drying. I've just taken them out of the husks and going to leave them in the dry room like you said for about 3-5 days. They are lookin like moist turds. They don't break apart or anything. They feel pretty sturdy. The Moby dick strain was the purple one. Looks like the purple rubbed off on the corn husk. The cob is more green than purple at the moment. They all smell kinda grassy.

Forgot to insert pics, Here they are.

Attachments

• 20230318_081840.jpg
    20230318_081840.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 77
  • 20230318_081818.jpg
    20230318_081818.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 78
  • 20230318_081813.jpg
    20230318_081813.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
  • 20230318_081630.jpg
    20230318_081630.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 78

Tangwena

Veteran
Forgot to insert pics, Here they are.
thanks for the pics my friend it makes everything easier.
They look great to me no damage done.

As they dry keep sniffing them, once you get back to a sweet herbal aroma you can re cover them if you like.
I would make sure they are nearly dry enough to smoke, you know where the joint goes out after every drag.
As you have pre sweated them I wouldn't sweat them again just store them in a warm environment say 35c.

For a week or two check them every week open the bags and dry if they feel damp to the touch.
After a month of weekly checking dry to the touch then seal them up for 3 to 9 months checking and drying if needed every month they should start hitting their peak effects wise after 9 months.

thanks for the pics my friend it makes everything easier.
They look great to me no damage done.

As they dry keep sniffing them, once you get back to a sweet herbal aroma you can re cover them if you like.
I would make sure they are nearly dry enough to smoke, you know where the joint goes out after every drag.
As you have pre sweated them I wouldn't sweat them again just store them in a warm environment say 35c.

For a week or two check them every week open the bags and dry if they feel damp to the touch.
After a month of weekly checking dry to the touch then seal them up for 3 to 9 months checking and drying if needed every month they should start hitting their peak effects wise after 9 months.
thank you :) i will post pics again when things start smelling good.

StickyBandit

Are there any threads where this has been reiterated in under 320 pages of thread?
There are many ways to do it and some will be better than others no doubt
I dry mine until the stalks are not quite brittle
Remove the stalks and roll the buds in baking paper like a big cigar
Pack in a vacuum bag and keep at around 40°c for about a day
Open and dry slowly before vacuum packing again and leave for a longer time, like a week or 2
Open and check it doesn't smell damp then repack for a longer period, check occasionally after that
Storage can be 30°c +/- 10°c or there abouts

There are many variations and that's just my method
You will need lots oz's of good buds :)

Tangwena

Veteran
Here are some sections of cobs made from the same buds at the same time.
img_2556-web.jpg
img_2557-web.jpg
img_2559-web.jpg
img_2561-web.jpg
img_2564-web.jpg

img_2564-web.jpg

The different depths of aromas from each cob were mind blowing.
All were varied in one way or another.
AND the seeded Mulanje canary buds I just sampled are super enhancing that aroma.
Just drying and airing before sealing up again.

Attachments

• img_2563-web.jpg
    img_2563-web.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 24

Tangwena

Veteran
That would be the male Mulanje Gold I used from Green Mountain seeds.
I dont like the high so far its very strong and speedy but that will mellow in the next 6 months I'm sure.
But the canary bud of the Mulanje hybrid I grow is kicking my ass big time at only 3 months aged.
Its my favorite high so tripped out and powerful.
I crossed it to Aces Malawi/ Ethiopian and one of the two phenos I got is my best high ever.
My Tokalosh told me to say that ha ha.

T.H. Seed

Hello cobbers! I've spent the last few weeks reading through this awesome thread and trying to absorb the general principles of the fermentation process. I will soon harvest a nice little plant and begin my practical learning part of the experience.
Seeing that the preferred strains have been African NLD varieties, I was curious if people here have been cobbing SE Asian landrace or heirloom strains?
My next project will be some central and southern Laos accessions from The Real Seed Company.
Any experience with cultivars from similar regions?
Sorry if I missed discussions about this in the past (I definitely skipped over some bits of the thread that veered off topic😂)

Tangwena

Veteran
Hello cobbers! I've spent the last few weeks reading through this awesome thread and trying to absorb the general principles of the fermentation process. I will soon harvest a nice little plant and begin my practical learning part of the experience.
Seeing that the preferred strains have been African NLD varieties, I was curious if people here have been cobbing SE Asian landrace or heirloom strains?
My next project will be some central and southern Laos accessions from The Real Seed Company.
Any experience with cultivars from similar regions?
Sorry if I missed discussions about this in the past (I definitely skipped over some bits of the thread that veered off topic😂)
Not personally but I'm sure others have.
The strain doesn't matter its more to do with the type of high you enjoy.
Any good bud that you like the high of will work perfectly.
Keep us posted with lots of pics please.

airplane

cob cure

cob cure

This was my original method, but at the bottom of the page is an alternate method developed with some friends on this and other forums
Before sealing them in a vac bag I get the sweat started by wrapping the cobs loosely in a plastic bag in a warm/hot location, you should see the perspiration on the inside of the plastic bag and the cobs should feel wet/moist on the outside. Then vac seal the cobs in the vac bag.
I leave the cobs in the vac bag for between 1 and 3 weeks to sweat. When opened the smell should be a strong sickly sweet smell if the sweat was successful.
Then remove them and let them air dry in a cool dark place.
By the end of a week the outer skin is dry and stiff. The buds inside will have amalgamated to form a stick. This can then be stored for years in the usual way. The buds inside will need to be carved off and broken into rocks to be smoked the usual way.
The buds need to be dried to just dry on the outside but moist on the inside before compacting in the cob.

Tip: Once the cobs are cured dry them but not fully, so they are slightly moist in the centre, then store ina jar or vac seal them for long term storage. If you fully dry the cobs it stops any further curing. I have cobs vac sealed over 3 years old and they are still as good if not better than when first dried.
Below is some Malawi cob and buds cured this way plus the trichs after curing.

The trichs were clear and mostly cloudy before the cob cure

Since posting this a while ago some friends and I on another forum have developed a sure fire method to get good results.
You need a Yogurt maker $60 online, crockpot on minimum or any other regulated heat source heat mat ect
You make you cob as normal and vacuum seal it. I have used buds as fresh as 24hr after harvest through to smoke able dried.
Then put the sealed cob into the yogurt maker for between 6 and 24hrs at 40c. You can go up to 60c or possibly even more but fermentation will be quicker.
Then remove the cob which will be wet and dry it to about 80% dry
Next re vacuum seal the semi dry cob for a month to further cold cure at 30c or room temp
After a month remove and dry to smoke able consistency
You can smoke it now but it will be very stony, if you reseal it for a further 2 months to age at room temp it will be the most potent and very clear.
You can vary the time in the yogurt maker even 48hrs is ok but the longer you sweat it for the darker the result. Darker cobs tend to be more narcotic but still very trippy
You can also vary the moisture content of the buds going into the cob in the first place to give differing results.
Its as simple as that and works every time as long as its vacuum sealed you will not get mold.
been wanting to do "cobs" --thanks for the info - any spec ial information about cobs - my son bought me a air-sealer.. thought you just air seal it and ????? Need to do more reshearch - any other sites for making cobs ? need to digest information

Taima-da

@airplane there are other sites but this is the place.
Seal it (nearly dried) and keep it warm until it's at (or close to) the stage you like, then dry and age under seal. It's not a fussy process, just requires a little attention. Colour and smell are your best indicators.
Very satisfying once you start.

@JK-AKKtions looking good! That light one should age up nicely. You may want to give the darker one a good dry out to stop it going further during aging.
What genetics did you put in?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts