What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
it turned to be super! wow! after my first attempts i didn't expect anything like this now. i love the amnesia core cut, but i want to marry this cob cured version. it's damn smooth and nice. high lasts long time and it's more alive. i even got some uncontrollable giggles so i had to hide myself when being in public :D fermentation changed great weed to master one. thank you for sharing this method and other tips.
Another star is born, sounds like you aced it brother onward and upwards from here ha ha.

Tangwena

Veteran
Pulling out the oxygen is safer, especially early on in the process when there is significant moisture content. Once they're fully cured and dried to stable jar is fine.
Good advice brother its a lot easier to control in a bag. I got mold even when I pulled a vacuum on the jar when I tried to cure it in a vacuumed jar.
But it may just have been my equipment not pulling a deep enough vacuum.
Either way I now always use the vacuum bags until its cured and dried.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
I’m going to give this a try next harvest in about 12-18 weeks! I made it to page15 and didn’t see mention yet of using lotus leaves. I happen to have a bunch of these on hand and no corn husks. Thoughts on lotus leaves?
I'd be tempted to read the last 30 or so pages rather than the first few; the technique has evolved over time.
I see no reason why you shouldn't use lotus leaves, though a lot of us use no leaves and just put the compressed roll or cob straight into a vacuum bag, as you will see.
"You'll love it; it's a way of life"

Tangwena

Veteran
I made some on Sunday I used the card board tube from a toilet roll and just suffed the buds in tight as I could then pushed them out and vacuum sealed them as they are no wrapper to sweat at room temp (32c ) in my garage.
I'm going to open them tomorrow for the all important sniff test ha ha.

img_2432-web.jpg
img_2439-web.jpg
img_2437-web.jpg
img_2430-web.jpg

MrFancyPlants

Greetings cob nation!

Quick question: how much do you dry before the cob is stable outside the vac bag? I unsealed a bit of one of my supposedly finished cobs and put it in a small jar about two week ago. It seemed still somewhat pliable yet dry enough, but unfortunately now there's some mold on it. Does the cob need to be fully dry and hard - like a wooden stick? Is there a good heuristic test for when its dry enough?

Thank you!

Taima-da

I'm sure there are better answers but experience helps.
Pliable is still a bit moist. Smell will tell you a lot.
If you're not 100% on it you can just leave it out till you're sure of it, it won't over dry easily like bud.
I have found pieces of cob that have been out of any container for a long time -like months, that were still perfectly acceptable, great even. Still smooth and strong. Weird
In some of the places where cobbing is tradition you'll often acquire ganja in something like newspaper or loosely folded plastic sheet, over dry seems to matter a little less to cobbed gear

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Checked some of my cobs and canary buds I made 3 to 5 days ago.
The drier buds still have a way to go but these were the moister buds and I dried them for 6 hours in the shade.
These have had no sweat just vacuum bagged and left in the garage in 30c+ ambient temps long slow cure.
img_2459-web.jpg
img_2460-web.jpg
img_2475-web.jpg
img_2486-web.jpg
img_2478-web.jpg
img_2468-web.jpg
img_2467-web.jpg

Cactus Squatter

So as I’ve messed with cobbing over the last few harvests I have come to find that I personally prefer them more on the dryer side when I start the process. The wetter cobs end up much harder to break up and after a year seem to have lost some potency compared to the same batch I did that was slightly dryer.
The dryer ones also break up easily with my fingers and have more complex and better smells/tastes both smoked and eaten. Wetter cobs seem to be an overwhelming fermented kind of smell, almost like pickles. The dryer cobs have the fermented smell plus all of the smells from the bud itself.

Has anyone else been messing with doing them multiple ways?

MrFancyPlants

I'm sure there are better answers but experience helps.
Pliable is still a bit moist. Smell will tell you a lot.
If you're not 100% on it you can just leave it out till you're sure of it, it won't over dry easily like bud.
I have found pieces of cob that have been out of any container for a long time -like months, that were still perfectly acceptable, great even. Still smooth and strong. Weird
In some of the places where cobbing is tradition you'll often acquire ganja in something like newspaper or loosely folded plastic sheet, over dry seems to matter a little less to cobbed gear
Thanks! Got a piece out and drying for a day or so at about 50%rh. Its definitely becoming lighter in color as it dries, but the stick is still somewhat bendable, and the center still looks dark and is softer than the "rind". I will leave it out for another day and see what happens. Got a few more on the way, a good opportunity for some good old trial and error.

Tangwena

Veteran
Wetter cobs seem to be an overwhelming fermented kind of smell, almost like pickles.
If you loose the ganja smell them its over fermented not the best taste IMO.

I have some dark fermented cobs that smell like Pakistani hashish thats the end result your after.

The secret is to not let them over ferment.
More moisture equals faster ferment.

Dryer cobs are much slower therefore easier to control the changes.
But dark cobs that have retained their terpenes and funk hit like a train and are well worth the added effort.

revegeta666

Long time no see! 😃

These are the cobs I made with the Zamal x Jamaica plants shared by Mustafunk.
They are now almost 4 months old and the texture is pretty much like wood. Not a big fan of the pin joints so I have been chewing a little piece here and there on off days.

I really like the high, I am quite used to regular edibles but this is something else. Especially the cleanliness of it. Might also be th nature of the zamal but the effect is quite trippy, more than I expected. The cobs have been a success on bbq days with some unexpected adventures taking place afterwards 😂
IMG_20230211_165117.jpg

IMG_20230211_165049.jpg

@Hombre del mont i tried to shoot a few macros with my microscope but it is a cheap Amazon one and it seems to have a lot of trouble focusing, not sure why as it works well for checking resin glands.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
@revegeta666 , good to see you brother.

The cobs look good. And 4 months is still quite young. If you can, stash some away and forget about for a year; The clarity will even greater.

I'm so pleased you like the effects. As you will find, all the cobs will get you high, but they all have their own unique qualities.

I have a Zamal x Tom Hill Haze that's very trippy, as is the Golden Tiger. The Zac Tribute is warm and friendly.

pooman

hey Fellas..love the fucking info/content, my god, this is the secret I've been seeking...I have a guy that always has incredible bud..I feel like he does a similar dry/cure...but I think his people spray hash oil on the buds before cure..it always has a danky hashy musk to his product..

but I digress..I'm gonna bypass a glass Jar because of my belief that they are effected to severely by room temps. I'm gonna order https://www.bing.com/search?q=food+...F3144641992D32B187A570A2&ghsh=0&ghacc=0&ghpl=

I guess you could always use a salad spinner insert too for the volume!

some cheese containers and vac pack when done with initial sweat/5-7 day warm cure...I hope my sous vide device can handle 5-7 days 84 Degrees...sorry guys..I don't humor Celsius ;) jk..but I'm stoked...Reading this info made me reminisce on some of my best dry/cures..I always found my April harvests were best, because of the warm weather in SouthWest where I am probably helped with a ferment that I always was afraid of, since most of the material I read was always to gear towards a 14 day full plant hang w/leaves and to a bagging/jarring with periodic sweats and was always instructed to leave in a "Cool/Dark" place..now I feel like a little warmth to the buds are actually necessary for all these extra compounds/bacterias to marry...I'm gonna vac pack trimmed bud from a chocolope I have hanging right now (9th day of hanging a reasonably large plant, it's just about right for crispy outside/soft center/reasonable bent crackle but not snap on the branches), and use that cheese press container, and then I'll be harvesting/drying a small 3 gall that realistically has 2 gal's in it's Malawi/SSH (or Peach Hashplant? I had two males that run hit the Malawi...don't know what seeds got what pollen..exciting), it smells like Candy and spice in flower, and foxtail profile..i'll try to take some pics...but it's got two but fucking stocks and beautiful buds on it...really wanted to cure the buds since they looks so incredible..but it's fucking Malawi, and it's mother didn't get cobbed and dried so fast..that bud ended up being meh, but the child has some potential and will be getting cobbed like a son of a bitch :)

Thanks again all

Last edited: