What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Is Calle .2g over the line? It must have been a great Cobb. He will be back although it has been 5 days.

It has been years for Space Junk and he seemed to be really into posting stuff and then gone.
No quite safe a friend of mine chewed 2grams of a good cob he had made in Australia and spent all night out in his garden butt naked and wonderingly looking at the stars.
He reckoned he could see further than the Hubble space telescope and was using Dr who's Tardis to great effect.
He is a strange dude though.

ost

@Hombre del mont , thanks very much for your help with this! I have the cob out of the bag and drying but I don't have a dehydrator so I'll see if I can get it dry enough just sitting out for a while. I guess if I'm going to be serious about this I might need to invest in a dehydrator to do this properly. Researching...!

Cheers!
do you think a fan would help pull the water out?(hillbilly style)

RottyRzr

No quite safe a friend of mine chewed 2grams of a good cob he had made in Australia and spent all night out in his garden butt naked and wonderingly looking at the stars.
He reckoned he could see further than the Hubble space telescope
and was using Dr who's Tardis to great effect.
He is a strange dude though.
I almost snorted my drink out of my nose I laughed so hard reading this. Especially seeing further than the telescope! I want to try that cob!

CDNINCA

Hey Gents, a quick question for the experts here... I've got some corn husks vacuum sealed from the last corn I could find here about a month ago. My plan is to use them for the Malawi Gold cobs that I have yet to assemble - it's currently hanging and drying slowly at about 60-62%RH and about 10C or 50F. I have some other strains that I grew this year that I want to try cobbing but I'm wondering what I should use to wrap them in.

I have some parchment paper, and also some Thai banana leaves that a friend dropped by that are vacuum sealed and a nice dark color. Which would you suggest? I think the parchment paper might be the way to go and roll them up using a sushi rolling mat before vacuum sealing and sweating?

I guess that I could try both if you thought it worthwhile - another chance to learn what different variables produce in the final product?

Thoughts? Thanks!

A few hours later... l have created three cobs using parchment paper and the sushi roller. In order, they are/ an F2 of Northern Lights #5 from this year, a Skunkwater x Pamdemic from last year, and a strain from Humboldt Seed co, called "Stoopid Fruits"!

Sweating commencing...

Attachments

• IMG_0548.JPG
    IMG_0548.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0557.JPG
    IMG_0557.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0558 2.JPG
    IMG_0558 2.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Hey Gents, a quick question for the experts here... I've got some corn husks vacuum sealed from the last corn I could find here about a month ago. My plan is to use them for the Malawi Gold cobs that I have yet to assemble - it's currently hanging and drying slowly at about 60-62%RH and about 10C or 50F. I have some other strains that I grew this year that I want to try cobbing but I'm wondering what I should use to wrap them in.

I have some parchment paper, and also some Thai banana leaves that a friend dropped by that are vacuum sealed and a nice dark color. Which would you suggest? I think the parchment paper might be the way to go and roll them up using a sushi rolling mat before vacuum sealing and sweating?

I guess that I could try both if you thought it worthwhile - another chance to learn what different variables produce in the final product?

Thoughts? Thanks!

A few hours later... l have created three cobs using parchment paper and the sushi roller. In order, they are/ an F2 of Northern Lights #5 from this year, a Skunkwater x Pamdemic from last year, and a strain from Humboldt Seed co, called "Stoopid Fruits"!

Sweating commencing...
Any or all of the above would work fine even just rolled in the sushi mat and vacuumed without any wrapping works great.
The benefit of no wrapping is you can observe the changes as it cures making it easy to pick when to stop based on the visible colour changes as it cures.

CDNINCA

Hi all,
I unwrapped the Saturn Citrus cob that has been sealed up at 80F/ 27C for 7 days and has it ever gone through a nice transition! Smells amazing, looks pretty good (?) - a little darker than I thought it might but at least for a first attempt it seems promising?
Question, so I should let it dry to the touch on the outside, then vacuum seal it up for about 30 days, checking on it occasionally? Also, is it important to rewrap it in the corn husks? I hope not, they kind of disintegrated when I unwrapped the cob - it's really sticky!
Thanks for your thoughts on this... and a few pics, cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_0563 3.JPG
    IMG_0563 3.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0564 3.JPG
    IMG_0564 3.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0566 2.JPG
    IMG_0566 2.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0569 3.JPG
    IMG_0569 3.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 68

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
Hi all,
I unwrapped the Saturn Citrus cob that has been sealed up at 80F/ 27C for 7 days and has it ever gone through a nice transition! Smells amazing, looks pretty good (?) - a little darker than I thought it might but at least for a first attempt it seems promising?
Question, so I should let it dry to the touch on the outside, then vacuum seal it up for about 30 days, checking on it occasionally? Also, is it important to rewrap it in the corn husks? I hope not, they kind of disintegrated when I unwrapped the cob - it's really sticky!
Yeah, just dry until the surface feels good and dry to the touch.

No need to worry about re wrapping in the husks, just chuck them in a vac bag

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi all,
They look well fermented as Hombre said above dry them well and re seal to age.
If you let them ferment further you will loose terps and taste but not effects.