What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

funkyhorse

Please guys check this thing out
My first vaporizer I bought it 10 years ago and is the one Mitsu is showing, today I am a Mighty user
Thanks to vaporizing I dont smoke any more

Decarb is ok up to 110C but this graphic by Storz&Bickel says 120C
Up to 185C you vape all the good juices
After 185C not many good things left
After 195C is toxic.
Basically vaping at 195C or higher temperatures and smoking is not much difference

I would not use any of that leftover vaped weed, it is not healthy, be careful with that shit and discard it
volcano-vapourizer-temperature-chart_-4-22_thumb.jpg

Please guys check this thing out
My first vaporizer I bought it 10 years ago and is the one Mitsu is showing, today I am a Mighty user
Thanks to vaporizing I dont smoke any more

Decarb is ok up to 110C but this graphic by Storz&Bickel says 120C
Up to 185C you vape all the good juices
After 185C not many good things left
After 195C is toxic.
Basically vaping at 195C or higher temperatures and smoking is not much difference

I would not use any of that leftover vaped weed, it is not healthy, be careful with that shit and discard it
View attachment 18786998
Thanks for that, I've been looking for something similar with no success.

I've been vaping at 210c on the mighty, and a 0.1mg capsule usually will do me for half a day.

Tangwena

Veteran
I haven’t actually eaten any marijuana or any kind of edible product the only time I can remember was hash brownies as a kid and it knocked me out I didn’t like it… I guess I should try it again but I don’t feel I will have the level of control
I couldn't agree more hash has done the same to me.
I dont like getting comatose you miss so much.

I chew the cobs I make to get things done around the house or to give me the desire to do anything at all really.
The cobs I have give me the energy and enthusiasm of a 17 year old thats the kind of high I'm looking for.

With the right plant grown well and cured properly I only use 0.1g thats 1/10th of a gram.
2/10th and I'm starting to trip.
When I say trip I mean a unique THC fueled trip unlike anything else its very seductive.

But first you have to cure it properly it takes a bit of practice so not everyone will master the art.
But those that do are in for a life changing experience. Its not for everyone but fills a niche market for those seeking more from their pot.

Keif Cake

Veteran
Thai sticks I've been making. I remember the first time I made them, reading that traditionally they would bury the sticks, like they would cobs for a month and I had been contemplating how I would make it work using the cobbing method.

Well I came back last month to this thread after not reading it in a while and noticed on the first page where Tangwena updated the post with the information about using a yogurt maker, which has been working out wonderfully.

You can see how wet and sloppy looking the cannabis leaves still were in the second pic which is vacuum sealed before going in the yogurt maker the second time. The last picture is the first time I opened them after 14 hours in at 60c I believe, so they could dry out. I put them in a second time for 14 hours, I took a pic after drying and vacuum sealing (3rd pic) and you can see how much tighter it made it. I came back and read the first page instructions again last night, and saw 24-48 hours on the second ferment, so I put it back in last night to give it another 30 hours or so.

I took a pull on end and it had a good taste, didn't notice much of a change in flavor at that point over what is jarred.

*after wrapping the buds with hemp string the first time, I place them in the freezer in an aluminum foil pouch I fold around them for a couple days (took me a week to get around to wrapping with leaves)
*I predried leaves and placed in a notebook to keep flat. It was rough using them on the first wrapping, I found it much easier using fresh leaves off Panama x pck, nice long wide fans. The dried leaves with resin on the back did really well with patching over a gap after a dunk and dry cycle, when the fresh leaves shrunk down and smoothed over the rough surface of bud.

*next time I make some ill put them in the freezer one more time after wrapping green leaves, before going in yogurt maker, I think the freezing will help with making the veins of the leaf conform better.

Maybe I will make separate thread on Thai sticks once I nail down a really good procedure. I also learned to only let vac seal for a second and hit cancel, do that a few times so you don't end up with squished, twisted, boxy triangles.

Edit: the pics didn't load up the way I selected them, so they're out of the stated order

Attachments

• 20221127_143926.jpg
    20221127_143926.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 63
  • 20221119_220809.jpg
    20221119_220809.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 58
  • 20221119_215136.jpg
    20221119_215136.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 57
  • 20221119_213602.jpg
    20221119_213602.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 52
  • 20221128_102301.jpg
    20221128_102301.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 53
  • 20221127_170632.jpg
    20221127_170632.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
  • 20221129_221015.jpg
    20221129_221015.jpg
    1,018.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Ultra Early love Sativa x Boa‘s Durban
Since 1 month at 28C.
Pure fruit Salat
View attachment 18787019

Friesland M33 x Nepali IBL
Aging since 12th of October
The purple turned black
Rotten coffee and leather
View attachment 18787020

Hopefully I can find the magic inside :love:
That Durban looks tasty and a nice cure as does the last one what you get out depends on what you put in.
If the buds jar cured are potent you will get potent cobs.

Tangwena

Veteran
Thai sticks I've been making. I remember the first time I made them, reading that traditionally they would bury the sticks, like they would cobs for a month and I had been contemplating how I would make it work using the cobbing method.

Well I came back last month to this thread after not reading it in a while and noticed on the first page where Tangwena updated the post with the information about using a yogurt maker, which has been working out wonderfully.

You can see how wet and sloppy looking the cannabis leaves still were in the second pic which is vacuum sealed before going in the yogurt maker the second time. The last picture is the first time I opened them after 14 hours in at 60c I believe, so they could dry out. I put them in a second time for 14 hours, I took a pic after drying and vacuum sealing (3rd pic) and you can see how much tighter it made it. I came back and read the first page instructions again last night, and saw 24-48 hours on the second ferment, so I put it back in last night to give it another 30 hours or so.

I took a pull on end and it had a good taste, didn't notice much of a change in flavor at that point over what is jarred.

*after wrapping the buds with hemp string the first time, I place them in the freezer in an aluminum foil pouch I fold around them for a couple days (took me a week to get around to wrapping with leaves)
*I predried leaves and placed in a notebook to keep flat. It was rough using them on the first wrapping, I found it much easier using fresh leaves off Panama x pck, nice long wide fans. The dried leaves with resin on the back did really well with patching over a gap after a dunk and dry cycle, when the fresh leaves shrunk down and smoothed over the rough surface of bud.

*next time I make some ill put them in the freezer one more time after wrapping green leaves, before going in yogurt maker, I think the freezing will help with making the veins of the leaf conform better.

Maybe I will make separate thread on Thai sticks once I nail down a really good procedure. I also learned to only let vac seal for a second and hit cancel, do that a few times so you don't end up with squished, twisted, boxy triangles.

Edit: the pics didn't load up the way I selected them, so they're out of the stated order
The fridge or freezer is the exact opposite to what you should do my friend it kills dead any microbe activity and has no beneficial action on the cure.
I had a friend do that in an attempt to dry the cobs as it was too humid where he lived. I can vouch for the lack of result as he sent me one.

I have amended the times on the recipe you mentioned it was done a while ago and things move on.
I am currently using times as low as 6 to 12 hours it works great if the buds are the correct humidity.

From what I saw of Thai sticks in the 70's slightly drier buds and a shorter sweat would be my recommendation.
Followed by a long cure.

Last edited:

sneezydog

On the topic of rolled vs tube pressed, i believe the action of side by side pressing together of buds is more strong for any bending of the cob, stems and materials all going in the same direction are like rebar in concrete. In a tube compressed it cannot be so. The ferment is the same. Also there is a different finish on the surface it seems, without any side pressing.

Keif Cake

Veteran
The fridge or freezer is the exact opposite to what you should do my friend it kills dead any microbe activity and has no beneficial action on the cure.
I had a friend do that in an attempt to dry the cobs as it was too humid where he lived. I can vouch for the lack of result as he sent me one.

I have amended the times on the recipe you mentioned it was done a while ago and things move on.
I am currently using times as low as 6 to 12 hours it works great if the buds are the correct humidity.

From what I saw of Thai sticks in the 70's slightly drier buds and a shorter sweat would be my recommendation.
Followed by a long cure.
That's some considerations I hadn't thought of, but I wonder if the fresh leaves helped with keeping some microbial going.

I have some extract evaporating, and fresh harvest yesterday, so I'll be making at least a couple more in the next week or so, and will make a few changes.

I'm glad I posted and heard the times have changed, because there are waaaay too many posts to read through and find that.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
On the topic of rolled vs tube pressed, i believe the action of side by side pressing together of buds is more strong for any bending of the cob, stems and materials all going in the same direction are like rebar in concrete. In a tube compressed it cannot be so. The ferment is the same. Also there is a different finish on the surface it seems, without any side pressing.
You are correct in what you say, up to a point; during the process my tube pressed cobs need to be handled carefully if they're out of the bag but fully dried they are like rock and need to but cut with a sharp knife.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
This morning I took 3 cobs out to dry; 2 Golden Tiger and one Zamal x Tom Hill Haze.
All 3 are "dark" cobs, made with very fresh weed and then sweated at a high temperature, dried and then also fermented at a high temperature.
IMG_20221201_160230.jpg

Here's a close up of the GT before it was dry. (made on the 15th of last month and is having it's second drying) Very fruity smelling but not yet sweet enough. Her and her sister have been dried up and re vacced and will now sit with all my other cobs at a much lower temperature for the rest of their ferment.
IMG_20221201_111617.jpg

Close up of the Zamal x Tom Hill haze cob that was made on 23rd of last month with several colas that are removed a few days early due to the wind causing havoc.
IMG_20221201_111609.jpg

As @sneezydog says the tube made cob is weak and you can see on the picture above were it has broken whilst being taken out of the bag. No worries, once she's surface dry, I'll push her together firmly during vacuuming; she'll be fine after a couple more rounds of fermenting drying fermenting, also at a much lower temperature.

At the moment I have 17 different cobs, all at different stages of ferment/cure and I don't really have much idea what's going on anymore.😊 Thankfully I've written on the bags the starting date and sweat temperatures. The rest is more just a case of sniff it and see and letting my instinct guide me.

In a few days time I'll be getting out the cobbing tube again; I've got the rest of the Zamal x Tom Hill haze to do
IMG_20221201_163805.jpg

It's non stop at the moment.

At the weekend the Original Haze is coming down.

Last edited:

Keif Cake

Veteran
¿Your first adventure, no?,
Enjoy. They just get better with time.
😊
I'm ready to find out myself, going to cobbing some Honduras x Panama, I thought the Malawi would be my first attempt, but it'll be the second one I make since it has a few days yet before harvest.

What are you using as a tube to stuff them in? And that replaces needing to wrap it in corn husk? I apologize if the answer to answer these questions have recently been answered, I'm at work and don't really have the time to dig through posts at the moment.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Hi @Keif Cake , No worries, I used to go to work but now I'm retired and enjoying life;), but vaguely remember what's it like.:LOL:

I use a piece of very special pipe that was gifted me by brother @revegeta666 , along with some of his highly recommended Tikal beans to try, but in truth, any smooth plastic pipe will do as long, as you line it with baking paper (to help ease it out once made).

The corn husks are not required and the cob can just go straight into the vac bag as it is.

Lotto

Picture shows clockwise, C5H x KC, lightly seeded Panama and just cut another C5H x KC. The 2 ready made cobs were opened 30 days ago and back into the vac. Both went in too dry to start the sweat so not sure what a long cure will do for them. This process, if nothing else is a great space saver. The just made cob is very wet. Will monitor after going into the heat. I would rather start with too much moisture than not enough. Once made you can't pump moisture into it. Still learning.
Hombre, have you tried any of the C5HxKC that didn't go into the cob.
20221201_120837.jpg
Still a bit on the heavy side for me. This will benefit with a long cure. I have a 3rd one in flower which will be done in 2-3 weeks. Disappointed in the lack of smells. Maybe the new cob will enhance the smell.

Keif Cake

Veteran
Awesome, thank you!
I may not ever be able to retire, but I live a much simpler life now myself and don't kill myself working all week anymore. I take it easy with 3 days of work, and the rest of my time on personal projects or sidejobs, and raising chickens to eat.

I'm sure I can find a range of suitable tubes for stuffing. Is the minimum of using an ounce still recommended?

Latest posts

Latest posts