What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
I've been to a place that was beautiful today : beyond my brain, inside my mind connected to the outer space world
Thats what we all want brother, good cob can not be bettered for that escape from reality.
Us cobbers get a different perspective on whats called reality its a very malleable state I find.
Just love sliding between the pages, surfing the edges and plunging down the face of it ha ha.
Good on you my friend you are enjoying life like not many others do.

Tangwena

Veteran
This is not what i can describe as visually beautiful but here is a Golden Tiger COB from March of 2022 opened today :

View attachment 18764265

View attachment 18764267

Like you see, i did not took any particular attention to the material being COBed, this was a quick and dirty ! lol

It ended up being extremely hard like wood, smells like in a stable if you insist on smelling it.. but anyway... I've been high all day long with a slice of this powerful medicine... My favorite.
Since we are on the beauty is in the eye of the beholder realm

Here is a blended cob from 2021 1/4 of a purple leaning pheno of Malawi Gold x Malawi/Ethiopian and 3/4 of a Mulanje Gold x Malawi/Ethiopian that knocks my socks off its actually really hard to type this and I'm still chewing about 0.2g ha ha fast uptake es ha ha.
No sweat just ambient temps of 30c+ last summer.

img_2054-web.jpg
img_2056-web.jpg

Then some 2017 season Chopper Read from a good friend sativa at its best, stunk to high heaven sit you on your ass aroma and kick ass Aussie sativa high.
Its hard as wood now and lost its in your face aroma, now its a subtle perfume and taste but like looking through a window high.

img_2060-web.jpg
img_2061-web.jpg
img_2062-web.jpg
img_2063-web.jpg

Phew its getting crazy now only 10 mins in and I think I need to go outside ha ha.

0x942

Here is a blended cob from 2021 1/4 of a purple leaning pheno of Malawi Gold x Malawi/Ethiopian and 3/4 of a Mulanje Gold x Malawi/Ethiopian that knocks my socks off its actually really hard to type this and I'm still chewing about 0.2g ha ha fast uptake es ha ha.

View attachment 18764577 View attachment 18764578

Then some 2017 season Chopper Read from a good friend sativa at its best, stunk to high heaven sit you on your ass aroma and kick ass Aussie sativa high.
Its hard as wood now and lost its in your face aroma, now its a subtle perfume and taste but like looking through a window high.

View attachment 18764579 View attachment 18764580 View attachment 18764581 View attachment 18764582

Phew its getting crazy now only 10 mins in and I think I need to go outside ha ha.
THANK YOU for sharing theses eyes-blessing pictures !

This thing literally looks like Hash in the core and that waxy surface makes me drool.

COB for the win !

o_O:alien:

Tangwena

Veteran
THANK YOU for sharing theses eyes-blessing pictures !

This thing literally looks like Hash in the core and that waxy surface makes me drool.

COB for the win !

o_O:alien:
When the Chopper Read Cob was young about 6 months into aging it was like putty you could shape it and it smelled like authentic hand rubbed Nepalese.
If you had a blind fold test you would have said it was hashish for sure.
Now its just like powder once ground up you could just sprinkle it on a paper.

Or like I used to do when I smoked smear some oil made from the same cob on a cig paper and then sprinkle the ground up cob over it so that it stuck to it.
I remember taking 2 or 3 soft drags and then dropping the joint because my fingers looked like sausages and I could no longer hold anything ha ha.

Its now 10 hours since I had my taste this morning. Hell strong got lost in my house for 3 hours then lost in my head for 2 hours.
Just tripping in fantasy land anyone could have robbed my house with me in it because I was not there ha ha.
Its been a while since I let go for that long ha ha. I wasn't even sure which country I was in for two hours ha ha.
For that matter I may not have been here at all I was def somewhere else ha ha.

Ancient Old Far

ICMag Donor
Veteran

View attachment 18764577 View attachment 18764578

View attachment 18764579 View attachment 18764580 View attachment 18764581 View attachment 18764582

Tangwena, Amazing pictures. I've never seen a cob let alone smoked or chewed on one. I had heard of cobs prior 2010 but didn't know about chewing, fermenting, and curing. Between you and Hombre de Mont as well as several others I feel like someone hearing the Gospel for the first time. At my age I'm concerned about smoking. Cobbing sounds like the plan. It's begining of fall here, but I can get a crop of auto flowers in before new years. I wonder how they would cob. I'm excited for the coming season.
Thanks for this educational and enjoyable thread.

Tangwena

Veteran
Tangwena, Amazing pictures. I've never seen a cob let alone smoked or chewed on one. I had heard of cobs prior 2010 but didn't know about chewing, fermenting, and curing. Between you and Hombre de Mont as well as several others I feel like someone hearing the Gospel for the first time. At my age I'm concerned about smoking. Cobbing sounds like the plan. It's begining of fall here, but I can get a crop of auto flowers in before new years. I wonder how they would cob. I'm excited for the coming season.
Its for us older guys my friend the ones who's lungs are tired and who cant seem to get high like we used to when younger.
This is a new drug, it is not like a smoking high. you can tell its a cannabis high though, thats what makes it so special.
Its easy to drop smoking or vaping once you get into it, you dont want to smoke anymore it seems dirty and base.
This high can be pure, blissful and angelic in the extreme so extreme that you trip out inside your head. Dreams become your reality nothing is impossible its like magic pure black magic.
It will change you forever for the better and make you the person you would rather have been your whole life.
Edit I'm still high ha ha.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
For us older guy's it's certainly the way to go!

For me after 45+yrs of getting high I was sort of getting tired of it and always trying to find the strongest weed I could and even then, I could still get higher.

Since cobbing, I've lost that desire and no longer am itching to get high first thing in the morning.

Several hours ago I took 0.3g of a newly opened "long cooked" and quite dark New Caledonia cob.

The darker cob seems to be better (or should I say, more to my liking), than a lighter coloured NC cob that was finished off a couple of weeks ago.

Same weed, different effect.

MrToast

Hey Gang..

I’m having a Cob sample..

I’ve just opened up one of the cobs I made a few weeks back and took a small nibble as I’m not sure if the potency of the strain as of yet.

Question…and I know the cobs I created were on the smaller side…I’m guessing an oz each…

What are you folks finding with your cobs as far as consistency of the buds…I’m finding mine are dry and crumbly..Is this the same as
Everyone else?

When I put the buds in for the initial sweat, they were moist enough that some
Condensation appeared on the inside of my vacuum sealed packages..so I opened them..let them air dry for an hour then re vacuum sealed them..

Just want to make sure I’m on the right track…

Thanks again..

Tangwena

Veteran
Hey Gang..

I’m having a Cob sample..

I’ve just opened up one of the cobs I made a few weeks back and took a small nibble as I’m not sure if the potency of the strain as of yet.

Question…and I know the cobs I created were on the smaller side…I’m guessing an oz each…

What are you folks finding with your cobs as far as consistency of the buds…I’m finding mine are dry and crumbly..Is this the same as
Everyone else?

When I put the buds in for the initial sweat, they were moist enough that some
Condensation appeared on the inside of my vacuum sealed packages..so I opened them..let them air dry for an hour then re vacuum sealed them..

Just want to make sure I’m on the right track…

Thanks again..
Sounds right but a good picture makes it easier to judge.
One ounce would be fine as far as size goes.

Tangwena

Veteran
looking nice and on their way by the looks of it intense aromas are what your looking for as well.
The next couple of weeks check regularly for moisture content they want to get progressively drier at each weekly inspection dry as needed to get a dry surface to the touch.
The aroma should remain pleasant and get sweeter.
This is the exciting part and where the magic happens.

MrToast

Chuckle..

Looks
Like I too am back in line to run my results by Professor Tangwena😉

Here are a few snaps…

Attachments

• 86618F6C-D24E-4A42-8743-92C0088B740E.jpeg
    86618F6C-D24E-4A42-8743-92C0088B740E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 119
  • 2A8A9D76-1DEF-4E60-ABBF-AB8BEB12ABEA.jpeg
    2A8A9D76-1DEF-4E60-ABBF-AB8BEB12ABEA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 106
  • 37A99464-AAE3-4E0B-9A84-043876F0B0D4.jpeg
    37A99464-AAE3-4E0B-9A84-043876F0B0D4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 125
  • D3967E45-EFB3-4D5B-9AAD-16B4D46B1002.jpeg
    D3967E45-EFB3-4D5B-9AAD-16B4D46B1002.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 115

Tangwena

Veteran
Chuckle..

Looks
Like I too am back in line to run my results by Professor Tangwena😉

Here are a few snaps…
WOW! that takes me back almost exactly like some cobs I used to score in Zimbabwe from Mtoko.
Yes they are a little dry but yes they will cure nicely if left a little longer.

If they were mine I would not dry them anymore just keep them wrapped and stored as they are.
They will cure to a lovely golden color given enough time you may like the result.
I used to score lovely golden looser packed dry cobs nice and aromatic with big calyx smooth smoking and energetic high.

MrToast

Tangwena..

Thank you for the reassurance.🙏
.I’m having a ton fun with these cobs and have made about 15 or so cobs from various strains.

I guess I’m a little surprised at how quickly they dry out, because almost all of them I have had to reopen the vacuum sealed packs to briefly dry the condensation and reseal..

Work in progress..

Cheers

Occiput

Mould spores entered during an inspection and cob not dried sufficiently before rebagging by the look.
As I don't smoke I'd put in the sun for half an hour or so (no light ingress into the internal of the cob so no worries there), dry that baby and and rebag for eating in the future. Bread cheese wine and so many other products are basically fungal anyway so eating it won't hurt you. In any case the fungal load will be very small.

If you're worried about that course of action you can just shave or cut off the visible mould, dry and rebag.

Just don't give it to friends to smoke.

I'm sure not every one would agree but I'm ok with that.
Great, thanks for the reassurance. I look forward to giving it a try in a few months.

Airloom

Veteran
cob cure

cob cure

This was my original method, but at the bottom of the page is an alternate method developed with some friends on this and other forums
Before sealing them in a vac bag I get the sweat started by wrapping the cobs loosely in a plastic bag in a warm/hot location, you should see the perspiration on the inside of the plastic bag and the cobs should feel wet/moist on the outside. Then vac seal the cobs in the vac bag.
I leave the cobs in the vac bag for between 1 and 3 weeks to sweat. When opened the smell should be a strong sickly sweet smell if the sweat was successful.
Then remove them and let them air dry in a cool dark place.
By the end of a week the outer skin is dry and stiff. The buds inside will have amalgamated to form a stick. This can then be stored for years in the usual way. The buds inside will need to be carved off and broken into rocks to be smoked the usual way.
The buds need to be dried to just dry on the outside but moist on the inside before compacting in the cob.

Tip: Once the cobs are cured dry them but not fully, so they are slightly moist in the centre, then store ina jar or vac seal them for long term storage. If you fully dry the cobs it stops any further curing. I have cobs vac sealed over 3 years old and they are still as good if not better than when first dried.
Below is some Malawi cob and buds cured this way plus the trichs after curing.

The trichs were clear and mostly cloudy before the cob cure

Since posting this a while ago some friends and I on another forum have developed a sure fire method to get good results.
You need a Yogurt maker $60 online, crockpot on minimum or any other regulated heat source heat mat ect
You make you cob as normal and vacuum seal it. I have used buds as fresh as 24hr after harvest through to smoke able dried.
Then put the sealed cob into the yogurt maker for 24hrs to 72hrs at 40c. You can go up to 60c or possibly even more but fermentation will be quicker.
Then remove the cob which will be wet and dry it to about 80% dry
Next re vacuum seal the semi dry cob for a month to further cold cure at 30c or room temp
After a month remove and dry to smoke able consistency
You can smoke it now but it will be very stony, if you reseal it for a further 2 months to age at room temp it will be the most potent and very clear.
You can vary the time in the yogurt maker even 48hrs is ok but the longer you sweat it for the darker the result. Darker cobs tend to be more narcotic but still very trippy
You can also vary the moisture content of the buds going into the cob in the first place to give differing results.
Its as simple as that and works every time as long as its vacuum sealed you will not get mold.
cob cure

cob cure

This was my original method, but at the bottom of the page is an alternate method developed with some friends on this and other forums
Before sealing them in a vac bag I get the sweat started by wrapping the cobs loosely in a plastic bag in a warm/hot location, you should see the perspiration on the inside of the plastic bag and the cobs should feel wet/moist on the outside. Then vac seal the cobs in the vac bag.
I leave the cobs in the vac bag for between 1 and 3 weeks to sweat. When opened the smell should be a strong sickly sweet smell if the sweat was successful.
Then remove them and let them air dry in a cool dark place.
By the end of a week the outer skin is dry and stiff. The buds inside will have amalgamated to form a stick. This can then be stored for years in the usual way. The buds inside will need to be carved off and broken into rocks to be smoked the usual way.
The buds need to be dried to just dry on the outside but moist on the inside before compacting in the cob.

Tip: Once the cobs are cured dry them but not fully, so they are slightly moist in the centre, then store ina jar or vac seal them for long term storage. If you fully dry the cobs it stops any further curing. I have cobs vac sealed over 3 years old and they are still as good if not better than when first dried.
Below is some Malawi cob and buds cured this way plus the trichs after curing.

The trichs were clear and mostly cloudy before the cob cure

Since posting this a while ago some friends and I on another forum have developed a sure fire method to get good results.
You need a Yogurt maker $60 online, crockpot on minimum or any other regulated heat source heat mat ect
You make you cob as normal and vacuum seal it. I have used buds as fresh as 24hr after harvest through to smoke able dried.
Then put the sealed cob into the yogurt maker for 24hrs to 72hrs at 40c. You can go up to 60c or possibly even more but fermentation will be quicker.
Then remove the cob which will be wet and dry it to about 80% dry
Next re vacuum seal the semi dry cob for a month to further cold cure at 30c or room temp
After a month remove and dry to smoke able consistency
You can smoke it now but it will be very stony, if you reseal it for a further 2 months to age at room temp it will be the most potent and very clear.
You can vary the time in the yogurt maker even 48hrs is ok but the longer you sweat it for the darker the result. Darker cobs tend to be more narcotic but still very trippy
You can also vary the moisture content of the buds going into the cob in the first place to give differing results.
Its as simple as that and works every time as long as its vacuum sealed you will not get mold.
This thread is old but I had to say thank you.

This technique reminds me so well of the Thai sticks I’d get in Southern California back in the late 70’s. It is something I definitely intend to try. Awesome contribution…..

funkyhorse

I just saw this video, I dont know if it was posted before. If it was, my apologies
The technique is called perique, it was used by sailors to cure tobacco
They clean the tobacco in a similar way the premium paraguayan brick is done
I find this perique method similar to using banana bark, but I think the fresh bark is better because it shrinks and cures together with the weed, pressing it naturally. But if you dont have fresh banana bark and have rope, it is not bad at all

Have a nice week everybody

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
And so the cobbing season starts!

As some of you know, we took down and trimmed up the Zac Tribute on Friday as we were expecting 5 days of storms from Sunday; They arrived today, a day late.

So here we are with a nice bowl of 3 day dried weed (so quite moist but not wet).

20221010_131345.jpg

This is just under half of the harvest, so less weed than I first thought; But still plenty to make several cobs!
20221010_140044.jpg

Once it's taken off of the sticks there's 89g

20221010_144129.jpg

Here's half of it ready to get compressed really tightly into the tube.

20221010_142446.jpg

20221010_144059.jpg

Unwrapped and ready for the bag.
20221010_150945.jpg

I made 2 cobs from the 89g.

20221010_151401.jpg

So these guys will go into the dehydrator at 45c for 12 hrs.

With these 2 I'm going for a darker cure and hoping for a more spacey edge to the cobs.

In a few more days time I'll do the remaining part of the harvest, which will be by then somewhat drier and will be done using less heat, in an attempt to produce more speedy cobs.

I'll update again tomorrow once I've opened them to dry.

Attachments

• 20221010_144350.jpg
    20221010_144350.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
  • 20221010_140132.jpg
    20221010_140132.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
Last edited: