What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Haha I was someone else for the day yesterday my alter ego was running the show.
I tend to keep it locked up the majority of the time for good reason ha ha.
My first date with my wife was a fishing trip we caught nothing and it was a disaster.
I knew then that if she came back she was a keeper we have both enjoyed fishing ever since ha ha.
My wife has been fishing with me 2 or 3 times but sadly she doesn't like it.

She does like football and cricket and motor racing so I guess I cant complain.

Oh, she really loves to trim weed!

She's a star!

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Happy Saturday to you all.

I still have some way to go until I start to do my cobbing for real this year, but I was unexpectedly given a small bag of White Widow buds the other day and asked to turn them into a cob!

Below is a cut and paste from the forum on the UK site where I've been guiding them in the art of cobbing, so hence the very explanatory wording.

Oh, and my Panama red cob picture won the Cream Of The Crop photo competition!

Far out or what?

@Tangwena , do you remember your telling me that my mission, if I accepted it, was to go out and spread the word?, or words to that effect?; Well it's slowly taking off in the UK and more and more are getting on board.

Good morning to you all and thank you to all of you who helped the cob win cream of the crop!

Today is a double celebration, as today I put my money where my mouth is and make a cob!

On Wednesday just gone, I was given a bag of White Widow buds that had been chopped the day before

It had been grown outside in a 5 year old pile of horse shit with no added feed until a little organic PK 4 weeks ago.

It could have gone a coupe more weeks but the friend who grow it house is very open and you could smell it from outside the property; this weekend is our towns Feira (Fair, but in reality it is a 4day piss up in the street, with some added entertainment) and there are many extra people in town and with everyone out getting pissed till early am, sadly there are many burglaries and lots of weed gets ripped.

They've been drying now for 5 days in our very dry climate and are now crispy on the outside but still have moisture inside.

large.20221001_092524.jpg

Ordinarily I wouldn't use just little buds that came off whilst trimming, but would use proper top quality colas that had bee hung dried for some time.

The better quality you start with, the better quality your eventual product.

The eventual product will keep indefinitely if stored correctly and will just improve with the years, so using the best buds is a no brainer for me.

large.20221001_093400.jpg

A bit of old plastic tube and some baking paper to line it. (It is my intention to find myself a slightly bigger tube for this year for when I start doing my own)

I use the wooden spoon to really ram it down hard.

Some like to use a softer compression, especially if it's being used for smoking, as it crumbles/fluffs up easier, but mine are mainly for eating, with only a little smoking when the kid's visit.

large.20221001_094103.jpg

That all went in no problem and has produced a nice compressed and fairly dry cob.

large.20221001_094221.jpg large.20221001_094432.jpg

Hopefully you can see from the out of focus picture, the cob is quite dry.

By using buds that are on the drier side, I should be able to get a good golden colour to the final cob and keep a lot of the the original terps, especially if I don't "over cook" (too hot and/or for too long) either the sweat or the ferment.

Over cooking it wont hurt it in any way but will change the eventual taste, colour and effect, as will using weed that is too damp.

I like to put mine in the bag without any wrapping so that I can see the colour change and better gauge where we're at in the process.

There is no reason why you can't keep them wrapped up: Many do and sometimes they place a "canary" bud loose in the bag along with the wrapped cob to help gauge what is going on.

Later in the season when I start to harvest and make my own cobs, I will try both banana leaves and corn husks, just out off curiosity.

large.20221001_094735.jpg

So here it is, vacced up and ready to.

Here's another of my out of focus photo's

large.20221001_095837.jpg

A small food dehydrator, bought by my daughter as an early Christmas present last year.

Set at 40c for 8hrs. If the bud had been moister than it was, then I would have gone for 35c.

Tangwena

Veteran
Love it brother your turning everyone on to cobs they will thank you I'm sure.
Love the detailed descriptions as well its gold and so interesting to see.

When you do your harvest please detail it as much as you can it makes fascinating reading along with your thoughts and reasoning for each step.
The two together (thoughts and reasoning) will make it a classic post for sure.
In years to come it will work as a reference for everyone.

Any chance of seeing a picture of the award winning Panama red cob?

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Panama Red
1664695293342.png

Lotto

Thanks Tang. for the original thread. I have not read it all but will do so. Looks like there's more than one way to make a cob. The vacuum sealer might be a simpler way to start.

Hombre, the small buds you used to press that cob has given me an idea. Panama Red in a small pot outdoors that was used for breeding. Will not finish into much but might fit the bill for a cob. They'll plump up a bit in the next couple weeks but the weather will force a move to a unheated greenhouse. I'll probably hit you up with a question after harvest.
20220929_091233.jpg

revegeta666

Happy Saturday to you all.

I still have some way to go until I start to do my cobbing for real this year, but I was unexpectedly given a small bag of White Widow buds the other day and asked to turn them into a cob!

Below is a cut and paste from the forum on the UK site where I've been guiding them in the art of cobbing, so hence the very explanatory wording.

Oh, and my Panama red cob picture won the Cream Of The Crop photo competition!

Far out or what?

@Tangwena , do you remember your telling me that my mission, if I accepted it, was to go out and spread the word?, or words to that effect?; Well it's slowly taking off in the UK and more and more are getting on board.

Good morning to you all and thank you to all of you who helped the cob win cream of the crop!

Today is a double celebration, as today I put my money where my mouth is and make a cob!

On Wednesday just gone, I was given a bag of White Widow buds that had been chopped the day before

It had been grown outside in a 5 year old pile of horse shit with no added feed until a little organic PK 4 weeks ago.

It could have gone a coupe more weeks but the friend who grow it house is very open and you could smell it from outside the property; this weekend is our towns Feira (Fair, but in reality it is a 4day piss up in the street, with some added entertainment) and there are many extra people in town and with everyone out getting pissed till early am, sadly there are many burglaries and lots of weed gets ripped.

They've been drying now for 5 days in our very dry climate and are now crispy on the outside but still have moisture inside.

large.20221001_092524.jpg

Ordinarily I wouldn't use just little buds that came off whilst trimming, but would use proper top quality colas that had bee hung dried for some time.

The better quality you start with, the better quality your eventual product.

The eventual product will keep indefinitely if stored correctly and will just improve with the years, so using the best buds is a no brainer for me.

large.20221001_093400.jpg

A bit of old plastic tube and some baking paper to line it. (It is my intention to find myself a slightly bigger tube for this year for when I start doing my own)

I use the wooden spoon to really ram it down hard.

Some like to use a softer compression, especially if it's being used for smoking, as it crumbles/fluffs up easier, but mine are mainly for eating, with only a little smoking when the kid's visit.

large.20221001_094103.jpg

That all went in no problem and has produced a nice compressed and fairly dry cob.

large.20221001_094221.jpg large.20221001_094432.jpg

Hopefully you can see from the out of focus picture, the cob is quite dry.

By using buds that are on the drier side, I should be able to get a good golden colour to the final cob and keep a lot of the the original terps, especially if I don't "over cook" (too hot and/or for too long) either the sweat or the ferment.

Over cooking it wont hurt it in any way but will change the eventual taste, colour and effect, as will using weed that is too damp.

I like to put mine in the bag without any wrapping so that I can see the colour change and better gauge where we're at in the process.

There is no reason why you can't keep them wrapped up: Many do and sometimes they place a "canary" bud loose in the bag along with the wrapped cob to help gauge what is going on.

Later in the season when I start to harvest and make my own cobs, I will try both banana leaves and corn husks, just out off curiosity.

large.20221001_094735.jpg

So here it is, vacced up and ready to.

Here's another of my out of focus photo's

large.20221001_095837.jpg

A small food dehydrator, bought by my daughter as an early Christmas present last year.

Set at 40c for 8hrs. If the bud had been moister than it was, then I would have gone for 35c.
Thank you so much for the masterful explanation, I bookmarked it for later use. Your post answered a few questions I had all at once. By the way how long would you ideally dry the buds to get the results you personally prefer? I read in this thread around a week, if you want that golden look to it.

Also it's Feria not Feira but nice try lol.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Also it's Feria not Feira but nice try lol.
Indeed it is! :)

How long to dry for is a hard one.

Everyone's humidity is different.

I would suggest just before you would say it is dry enough to go in the jar, or there about.

I believe most people when starting out use weed that is still too moist.

The more you cob, the more you'll get the feel for it.

Last edited:

0x942

This is not what i can describe as visually beautiful but here is a Golden Tiger COB from March of 2022 opened today :

gt2.png

gt3.png

Like you see, i did not took any particular attention to the material being COBed, this was a quick and dirty ! lol

It ended up being extremely hard like wood, smells like in a stable if you insist on smelling it.. but anyway... I've been high all day long with a slice of this powerful medicine... My favorite.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
This is not what i can describe as visually beautiful but here is a Golden Tiger COB from March of 2022 opened today :

Like you see, i did not took any particular attention to the material being COBed, this was a quick and dirty ! lol

It ended up being extremely hard like wood, smells like in a stable if you insist on smelling it.. but anyway... I've been high all day long with a slice of this powerful medicine... My favorite.
I have to disagree; It looks beautiful from where I'm looking from.

Good work!

Occiput

Just wanted to share an update on some cobs I've made...

Here's a 7-8 month cured, heavily seeded hindu kush cob.
HK Cob 8 Months.jpg
It definitely isn't as pretty as some of the golden cobs you guys are producing, but it smells fantastic, like lemony, fruity candy. I've smoked some, and have found it to burn very nicely, and to be smoother than normally cured bud. The paranoia that the normally cured bud can produce doesn't show up much, if at all with this stuff. It's also much more of a creeper than the normal bud. All in all very nice. It seems like there's a bit of an opinion that it's not worth cobbing indicas, but based on this experience I'd say it's at least worth trying.

Some of my friends tried eating about 0.4g each around 10pm even though I told them that it might be a mistake. They were up for a long time and woke up the next morning still high. Both said it was a very nice high, and quite strong.

I also have some maui wowie cobs of similar age. I ate 0.4g one morning and had a great time. It's similar in color to the hindu kush cob, and the effects were not exactly energetic, but didn't put me out either. It definitely came in waves as the rest of you have described. At its peak, the high felt almost lysergic, but warmer.

Here's a somewhat troublesome super malawi haze cob that's much newer:
SMH Cob Mold?(1).jpg
SMH Cob Mold?(2).jpg
I was looking to make a dark cob so I bagged it up pretty wet. I dried it after the sweat, and have recently dried it some more. It's been vac bagged throughout the whole process, but it seems like mold might have grown anyway? I've been keeping an eye on it, and the vac bag has never become compromised, which makes the potential presence of mold pretty confusing. Any input on if it is mold, and what may have let that happen?

Taima-da

Just wanted to share an update on some cobs I've made...

Here's a 7-8 month cured, heavily seeded hindu kush cob.
It definitely isn't as pretty as some of the golden cobs you guys are producing, but it smells fantastic, like lemony, fruity candy. I've smoked some, and have found it to burn very nicely, and to be smoother than normally cured bud. The paranoia that the normally cured bud can produce doesn't show up much, if at all with this stuff. It's also much more of a creeper than the normal bud. All in all very nice. It seems like there's a bit of an opinion that it's not worth cobbing indicas, but based on this experience I'd say it's at least worth trying.

Some of my friends tried eating about 0.4g each around 10pm even though I told them that it might be a mistake. They were up for a long time and woke up the next morning still high. Both said it was a very nice high, and quite strong.

I also have some maui wowie cobs of similar age. I ate 0.4g one morning and had a great time. It's similar in color to the hindu kush cob, and the effects were not exactly energetic, but didn't put me out either. It definitely came in waves as the rest of you have described. At its peak, the high felt almost lysergic, but warmer.

Here's a somewhat troublesome super malawi haze cob that's much newer:
I was looking to make a dark cob so I bagged it up pretty wet. I dried it after the sweat, and have recently dried it some more. It's been vac bagged throughout the whole process, but it seems like mold might have grown anyway? I've been keeping an eye on it, and the vac bag has never become compromised, which makes the potential presence of mold pretty confusing. Any input on if it is mold, and what may have let that happen?
Mould spores entered during an inspection and cob not dried sufficiently before rebagging by the look.
As I don't smoke I'd put in the sun for half an hour or so (no light ingress into the internal of the cob so no worries there), dry that baby and and rebag for eating in the future. Bread cheese wine and so many other products are basically fungal anyway so eating it won't hurt you. In any case the fungal load will be very small.

If you're worried about that course of action you can just shave or cut off the visible mould, dry and rebag.

Just don't give it to friends to smoke.

I'm sure not every one would agree but I'm ok with that.

Tangwena

Veteran
Mould spores entered during an inspection and cob not dried sufficiently before rebagging by the look.
As I don't smoke I'd put in the sun for half an hour or so (no light ingress into the internal of the cob so no worries there), dry that baby and and rebag for eating in the future. Bread cheese wine and so many other products are basically fungal anyway so eating it won't hurt you. In any case the fungal load will be very small.

If you're worried about that course of action you can just shave or cut off the visible mould, dry and rebag.

Just don't give it to friends to smoke.

I'm sure not every one would agree but I'm ok with that.
Exactly what I would do too.
The cause is as TD says its not a big problem its only surface. If it worries you a sharp knife and its gone like shaving wood.

Tangwena

Veteran
It definitely isn't as pretty as some of the golden cobs you guys are producing, but it smells fantastic, like lemony, fruity candy. I've smoked some, and have found it to burn very nicely, and to be smoother than normally cured bud
The beauty is in the eye of the beholder my friend this cure covers the whole spectrum from green/yellow to black.
As long as they smell good they are good.
Even the ones that make you gag hold wonders inside if you can bear to chew them.

Tangwena

Veteran
Knowing what went in just makes it even more exciting brother.
That looks perfect to me the Golden cures are just as exciting as the darker cures and everything in between.
My personal preference is to make both dark and light from any given plant to learn which suites the high best.
I have always preferred the darker cures for the deeper highs and the golden cures for the energy they produce.
Def horses for courses.

gt3.png