What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Thank you so much brother! And thank you for the nice close-ups!

That putting the spark back in life. Truer words have never been spoken. And that was exactly why i got hooked on reading this thread in the first place. And wanted to try it for myself. And I am telling you: It all delivered just that!
I won't even try to describe the contrast between the bright spark, and the down state of mind I mind been stuck in, for years. Thankful doesn't even begin to describe it!!

Yes, no kidding - I am totally onto the quest of keeping the terps from now on! But at the same time, I do love me the darker smells, too! Anyways, I am more than happy to keep working with these heavenly smells!

I have been using 2-3 hr bursts @ 35C in the dehydrator for drying, but it seems I have been too quick to put them back into vac-bags and heat again. So for now I am trying 4-6hr bursts. Plus keep drying out the old ones in the meantime.

Tangwena, about how long would you usually set the dehydrator before you go back and check?

Actually I am entering the "dry to 90%" phase for my second run, as we speak. Most of them are at the point of being dried out right now:
View attachment 18712739
These are Panama x Bangi Haze, which I started drying out last week, and today again. Because the lemon smells are starting to fade into more chocolate/hashish/liqourich.

The four to the left look to be a more Panama pheno and were cut down at 11 weeks, and the three on the right looked more Bangi Haze and were taken at 10.5 weeks. All except the brownest one have a faint but very elegant lemon custard smell still remaining. But it was louder just a few days ago, so more drying now.

They were hung dry five days, except the third one from the right was hung 3 days. Fermented at 40C for ca five days, then 30-35C for two weeks maybe by now.

Ok, thanks again! See you soon everybody :smoke:

EDIT: Added hours to dry bursts. Plus made the post even longer, ha ha!
Hi my friend thanks for the kind words.
I would vac seal them to age now if they were mine.
Once i get the aromas I prefer I vac seal them to age yours look dry enough now in the pics.
I have cobs aged that are still slightly moist but smell to high heaven.
I cut off sections to dry further and use, then vac seal the remainder and store at room temp as long as they are sealed it all stays locked inside.
I broke my scales a while ago but most days I take between 0.1g and 0.3g depending how high I want to get and of course what cob I'm eating, some are 2 or 3 times stronger than others having been made from better grass.

Drying the cobs is as important as any other step so gently dry is best. If I smell terps i reduce the temp until its not giving off a strong aroma any more.
They can be moist no problem stored below 40c they dont seem to loose anything rather they consolidate and refine the aromas.
Less is more in the heating and curing stages.

You are right a little cob every day just makes life so wonderful like your a teenager full of energy and curiosity at the world. Its such a change from the old tired jaded way I feel without it ha ha.
All the problems in the outside world evaporate and you find beauty in a leaf or flower or drops of water.
The world is truly a beautiful place and we are lucky to be in it if you are insulated from all the crap.

Tangwena

Veteran
That Mulanje sure has made some ripples already. As soon as I saw Mulanje mentioned I jumped onto a pack of Pinapple Banana Bud from Vermont Seeds, (plus a pack of Vermontmans Zacateca Tribute), which I intend to grow out very soon. No idea if it is in anyway related to your Mulanje, but I knew I had to get it!

Thank you for all the inspiration and knowledge, brother Tangwena!
Vermontmans PBB was made from Mulanje from the same original source Malberry seeds I think it was called.
Mine was crossed to Thai Tanic from Flying Dutchman 10 years or so ago. I used a male from TT to pollinate the Mulanje female.
Since then I used Mulanje male pollen from Mad Mac which he got from the same source to strengthen the Mulange side.
So its more like Aces Golden Tiger in that it has Thai in it.
All I know is its the kind of high I crave, no way you can drive or operate heavy machinery ha ha your way to tripped out.
I am currently trying to make seeds from some 2019 (pre Mad Macs pollen) and some 2020 (post Mad Macs pollen) mixed together they should be good.
I will let you know when they are done if you like.

Tangwena

Veteran
I'm a 0.3-0.4g person it seems. Had an extra tiny little bit of fresh on top today and it put me down like I've not been for years -in a good way😂
Recently I was away from home on a fishing safari. I had brought along tastes of cobs I made last year but had not got round to trying yet.

One in particular was super terpy and very strong and quickly became my favorite daily chew.
I started to run out of the taste towards the end of the trip and so had to ration it out.
I was still getting high as kite on less than 1/10th of gramm by the end of the trip?

So rather than building tolerance from daily use it was crazy, decreasing the dose slowly had the same effect.
Rather than a weaker high it was just a different high but equally enjoyable.

TPFTFW

Veteran
Took a sample of my homies sour diesel clone and it gave me a legitimate headache and even thinking about the smell for a few hours after made me nauseous.
legitimate skunk spray smell.
should make an interesting cobb come time
68 days gonna take it 75
717786D0-0252-4CA0-B2E8-C9FFF896B172.jpeg

0x942

0x942

He uses a press and a mold.
Her is another great curer using a different mold.

View attachment 18714248 View attachment 18714247

And some the candy bar maker just put in a bag some people just have a magic touch and love their ganja.

View attachment 18714246
Dayum !
Thanks for sharing the info Tangwena :cool:

Here i COB again, can't stop the rolling game, haha :
roll-1.jpg

sweat-1.jpg

sweat-2.jpg

Sweating is done, now fermenting ! Keeps improving the technique every time ...
Smells soooooo good , damn !

Tangwena

Veteran
Dayum !
Thanks for sharing the info Tangwena :cool:

Here i COB again, can't stop the rolling game, haha :
View attachment 18714249
View attachment 18714250
View attachment 18714252

Sweating is done, now fermenting ! Keeps improving the technique every time ...
Smells soooooo good , damn !
Man thats a beautiful set of pictures, if its killing it in the aromas department as well you are making magic brother.
Welcome to the brotherhood of the cob your mission should you decide to accept it is to turn on as many people as you can ha ha.

0x942

Man thats a beautiful set of pictures, if its killing it in the aromas department as well you are making magic brother.
Welcome to the brotherhood of the cob your mission should you decide to accept it is to turn on as many people as you can ha ha.
Thank you Tangwena. I don't have to turn them on because friends that tried my good aged COB just can't believe it and all of them wanna do it now, haha!
It's not an easy game for the new comer who doesn't have any patience, lol =) :alien:

Tangwena

Veteran
A random question: would thoroughly seeded bud improve, lower, or provide negligible effects?
Provided you dont mind pulling out the seeds before you smoke it, it will improve the smoking and effects just the same as if it was seedless.
The vast majority of authentic Malawi cobs had varying amounts of seed from lightly to heavily seeded it was not considered a negative thing.
BUT that is if you can get a good cure, of course it does take a little care and attention at first.
Once you are familiar with the process its no harder than rolling a big joint.
I would suggest just putting large amounts into a vac bag you can get great results with nothing more than that.
A friend of mine used to score big cobs that were full of seeds we used to crumble it up on an LP cover at an angle and all the seeds would roll off.
The material left over was crazy potent thats why he kept buying them.

There are so many different highs to be had from the same plant depending on the dry, sweat and cure periods. As long as its good ganja you will get a smooth smoking more clear and longer lasting high I find.
Weak or mild pot will always stay that way just a different high.
The biggest changes are of course noticed in pot that was already good quality high wise.
Its not a magic panacea for low quality pot. Its used by those in the know to take whats already good and change it up a gear. For me its like a parallel reality when I chew good cob.
Its a way to exist in the world wearing rose colored glasses, thats what the high is like its not available any other way I have found.

I chewed some Mulanje cob about 30 mins ago and its just starting to rush at me ha ha Love this gear I'm feeling fearless like I could take on the world already.
The usual me is the exact opposite of that ha ha but not today ha ha.

xet

Provided you dont mind pulling out the seeds before you smoke it, it will improve the smoking and effects just the same as if it was seedless.
The vast majority of authentic Malawi cobs had varying amounts of seed from lightly to heavily seeded it was not considered a negative thing.
BUT that is if you can get a good cure, of course it does take a little care and attention at first.
Once you are familiar with the process its no harder than rolling a big joint.
I would suggest just putting large amounts into a vac bag you can get great results with nothing more than that.
A friend of mine used to score big cobs that were full of seeds we used to crumble it up on an LP cover at an angle and all the seeds would roll off.
The material left over was crazy potent thats why he kept buying them.

There are so many different highs to be had from the same plant depending on the dry, sweat and cure periods. As long as its good ganja you will get a smooth smoking more clear and longer lasting high I find.
Weak or mild pot will always stay that way just a different high.
The biggest changes are of course noticed in pot that was already good quality high wise.
Its not a magic panacea for low quality pot. Its used by those in the know to take whats already good and change it up a gear. For me its like a parallel reality when I chew good cob.
Its a way to exist in the world wearing rose colored glasses, thats what the high is like its not available any other way I have found.

I chewed some Mulanje cob about 30 mins ago and its just starting to rush at me ha ha Love this gear I'm feeling fearless like I could take on the world already.
The usual me is the exact opposite of that ha ha but not today ha ha.
You are a real gem, thank you kind sir.

I was reading someone reminisce about the old thai stick having seeds cracked open everywhere from being packed so hard the seeds were crushed and then that got me thinking about the oils and tannins of the seed and got me wondering.

Tangwena

Veteran
Thank you Tangwena. I don't have to turn them on because friends that tried my good aged COB just can't believe it and all of them wanna do it now, haha!
It's not an easy game for the new comer who doesn't have any patience, lol =) :alien:
Bless you brother it seems that you are already over achieving ha ha.
Just found a whole cob of a primo Mulanje from 2020 grow its made from the lowers and its kicking my ass big time "somebody stop me ha ha"
I just felt the super powers kick in oh yeah man this is living its like I just had a few lines of top grade Charlie after the joint PHEW!

Tangwena

Veteran
You are a real gem, thank you kind sir.

I was reading someone reminisce about the old thai stick having seeds cracked open everywhere from being packed so hard the seeds were crushed and then that got me thinking about the oils and tannins of the seed and got me wondering.
Brother you have no idea either I've lost my mind for good or this is one kick ass high, wheres my hoss at pardner?

xet

Brother you have no idea either I've lost my mind for good or this is one kick ass high, wheres my hoss at pardner?
I shall lament on not visiting the aliens with you 👽.

I may only be a distance witness but it appears your UFO is supercharging.

Press SPACEBAR to make your UFO look like a horse and gallop across the universe.

After you mentioned Mulanje I had to google some photos of the region and just those photos are awe-inspiring. I gotta pick a date and visit Africa. I can only dream of where that mystical land's herbs are ascending you.

Do you play electric guitar because I bet it would rock.

Tangwena

Veteran
Do you play electric guitar because I bet it would rock.
I dont but I still do ha ha.
8hrs and I'm still buzzing like a fly I have 3 different cures to try from that plant its hard to keep up with testing the cobs.
These were made in May 2020 and they are super potent after aging so long.
I will see if I can get some pics of the cobs, this was the stinkiest of the three, menthol/sweet pine and a sandalwood like flower smell when I opened the sealed bag I could get high just off of the aroma it was that good.