What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Failed to germinate

electric pooha

In August I Purchased a 5 pack of Malawi Feminized seeds through Sensible Seeds , on the 30th September I Planted the 5 Malawi along with 5 Golden Tiger & 13 Mango Haze from Mr Nice, they all Germinated except for the Malawi.
Can you think of any reason why this has happened, Do you have a replacement policy?

Attachments

• 6068812B-43DA-4ADC-80D4-EC5147E0040D.jpeg
    6068812B-43DA-4ADC-80D4-EC5147E0040D.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 59
  • 1C5CFB7F-7746-4911-B621-179F46DD2ABD.jpeg
    1C5CFB7F-7746-4911-B621-179F46DD2ABD.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 64

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Don't be fooled.
Those seeds are still good and can be replanted. Don't use peat pots for germinating hard shell seeds. Take some good quality potting soil in dixie cups and plant the seed in the soil. Weigh the cups and find the max water weight and keep it for the first 48 hr. After 48 hrs put the cup under a light that puts out a little heat and they will crack. No water after the first 48 hr of keeping the cups wet.

Here's the kicker if one or two of the seed would have germinated the seed would have been flawed. However, since all didn't then it's a grower's error. Again don't use peat pots to crack your seed instead use quality potting soil and pure water. Your seed are still good. 😎

FletchF.Fletch

420club
image.jpeg

This is from the 1989 Seed Bank Catalogue.
They make Canna-friendly peat starters, but this method is tried and true.

Did the package have a Date on the back? Should be viable for 2 years after the Date. Newer packs without the Date printed are less than 2 years old and should be good and healthy too.

Sensible would make things right if you have problems I'm sure. ACE too. Don't worry.

Last edited:

electric pooha

Don't be fooled.
Those seeds are still good and can be replanted. Don't use peat pots for germinating hard shell seeds. Take some good quality potting soil in dixie cups and plant the seed in the soil. Weigh the cups and find the max water weight and keep it for the first 48 hr. After 48 hrs put the cup under a light that puts out a little heat and they will crack. No water after the first 48 hr of keeping the cups wet.

Here's the kicker if one or two of the seed would have germinated the seed would have been flawed. However, since all didn't then it's a grower's error. Again don't use peat pots to crack your seed instead use quality potting soil and pure water. Your seed are still good. 😎
Thanks for your reply
I purchased a bag seed Raising mix to try your way.

I thought I would explain my procedure a bit more in depth. I use Rainwater & soak my seeds over night then I plant seed in jiffy pots which have also been soaked in rainwater, because I'm an outdoor grower I place seeds outside in a sheltered spot, usually it only takes 3 to 4 days before you see sprouts.
It is spring time where I live , Day temperatures are low to mid 20c Night temperatures are mid teens,

I am 66 years old I have been using this method or similar for 50 years. That's why I posted on here because I have never had this happen before. you might get 1 or 2 duds but not all of them.

electric pooha

View attachment 18767363

This is from the 1998 Seed Bank Catalog.

Did the package have a Date on the back? Should be viable for 2 years after the Date. Newer packs without the Date printed are less than 2 years old and should be good and healthy too.

Sensible would make things right if you have problems I'm sure. ACE too. Don't worry.
Thank for the info, I never new that about jiffy pots.
I live in OZ so they always remove seeds from packs to send stealth.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks for your reply
I purchased a bag seed Raising mix to try your way.

I thought I would explain my procedure a bit more in depth. I use Rainwater & soak my seeds over night then I plant seed in jiffy pots which have also been soaked in rainwater, because I'm an outdoor grower I place seeds outside in a sheltered spot, usually it only takes 3 to 4 days before you see sprouts.
It is spring time where I live , Day temperatures are low to mid 20c Night temperatures are mid teens,

I am 66 years old I have been using this method or similar for 50 years. That's why I posted on here because I have never had this happen before. you might get 1 or 2 duds but not all of them.
Me too, I used them outdoors as well as the open Jiffy pots too. I would just tear the bottoms off the jiffy pots and plant them jiffy pots and all. However, some seeds may have a hard shell coating that comes from some strains. That being said Malawi is a 10-13 weeks flower that takes a longer time to mature making for a hard seed coat. You will have better luck if you sprout them in a quality potting mix. 😎
66 years old is still a youngster.

cannacrab

View attachment 18767363

This is from the 1989 Seed Bank Catalogue.

Two years is a very low number... is this what ACE promises or what your experience has been?