What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

making pizza dough - oil or no oil?

Cuddles

cool, thanks guys.
How about the yeast? One recipe says 2 packs (instead of 1 pack = 7g) of dried yeast for 500 g of flour.
Does pizza dough really require more yeast than a regular bread?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I use the regular quantity 1 pack per 500g, if you want more and bigger bubbles, more proofing after forming it gets you a better result than adding yeast. Gluten is what the flour needs to have more of!

Maple_Flail

cool, thanks guys.
How about the yeast? One recipe says 2 packs (instead of 1 pack = 7g) of dried yeast for 500 g of flour.
Does pizza dough really require more yeast than a regular bread?

no real hard and fast way about it.. it is one of the parts of the process that is variable, there are reasons for more or less yeast especially depending on other inputs.

if using whole wheat flour, yes you will need much more than bread, If using '00' and/or BFB flour you may find you need similar amount to a loaf of bread.
also making and using a poolish ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-ferment ) with non-instant yeast will allow you use less yeast.

Also bread gets a second rise, pizza dough in most cases does not. Also depends on the Style they vary vastly for a rather uncomplicated food stuff with great variation.

personally I use 3.5 tsp (package and a half give or take) for 700-750 g of '00'/BFB flour, I am going for a NY style with a fluffier crust handle so I need something that can
be thin and fluffy in the same pie..it also works well for calzone/ponzo preps.

Cuddles

no real hard and fast way about it.. it is one of the parts of the process that is variable, there are reasons for more or less yeast especially depending on other inputs.

if using whole wheat flour, yes you will need much more than bread, If using '00' and/or BFB flour you may find you need similar amount to a loaf of bread.
also making and using a poolish ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-ferment ) with non-instant yeast will allow you use less yeast.

Also bread gets a second rise, pizza dough in most cases does not. Also depends on the Style they vary vastly for a rather uncomplicated food stuff with great variation.

personally I use 3.5 tsp (package and a half give or take) for 700-750 g of '00'/BFB flour, I am going for a NY style with a fluffier crust handle so I need something that can
be thin and fluffy in the same pie..it also works well for calzone/ponzo preps.
a thin dough for the calzone is what I´m aiming for too :)

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Fill it fast and get it to the oven asap, it will puff up if you take too much time after forming it.
Not overfilling and not having too much liquid in the incredients is also much more important in a pocket pizza like calzonne. Is really one of the most complicated to get right. Making 2 small ones rather than one big one would give you more practice and ensure more chances to get it right. Also it is recomended to make it smaller if you like it more crispy on the outside. Italians grate parmegianno on them right when they taken out of the oven. Try it. It's like extra taste bomb on that crust.