What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Making feminized auto seeds - how many plants

BakedApe

Can you let a treated plant just pollinated it self, or do you have to use the pollen on another plant?
If so, in theory, are two plants enough, one doing the other, or will a threesome be better?

ChemDogLover

I assume all plants are autos which I know very little about. By treated I assume you mean sprayed with STS or colloidal silver.

The plant will pollinate itself if it makes male
Flowers after spraying. The seeds will be all female and will carry the genetics of the one plant.

If you want to capture more genetics, you can spray multiple plants and leave them in the same room/tent. They should cross pollinate, and carry on all genetics contained in all plants. All seeds will be female.

You do know you can’t smoke those plants after they’ve been sprayed, though, correct?

BakedApe

Yeah, know I can't smoke them.. but the point is, if its enough to spray and let one plant pollinate it self, or if there's any significant advantages to buy a 3-pack and have a threesome?

Say, a strain like Paradise seeds Pandora.. 1, 2 or 3 plants, any difference in outcome?
Trying to minimize plant count, thinking I will spray plant(s) first, collect pollen, toss it, and then germinate the mother(s) to be..

I think I read somewhere, that males carry "more diversity" in one allele than females, or whatever it was.. will a female turned male have the same properties? If so, perhaps spraying 2 plants to pollinate number 3 would be optimal, given 3 seeds?

zaprjaques

if youre introducing more genetics aka more plants there should be more genetic diversity in the outcome.
as far as i have understood selfing a plant aka making S1s is somewhat the equivalent of F2s in regular breeding.
it will open up the genepool and bring out recessive traits.
probably depends a lot on the cultivar that youre using. if its something stable/inbred, selfing a plant should produce more predictable outcome.
for example seedfinder says paradise seeds pandora is a cross of an unknown hybrid and an unknown ruderalis, so no idea how stable it is....

right now i've started to ask myself what would bring out more predictable offspring, selfing a single plant or pollonating a plant with another reversed plant.
maybe this is the question you were asking yourself...

probably selfing one polyhybrid plant will open up the genepool more because of recessive traits that might show up, than introducing another plants genetics which would result in a sort of polyhybrid cross with less phenotypical expressions.

i hope someone more educated could confirm or disprove.

edit: the proof is probably in the pudding.
ive heard of people saying you can keep an auto motherplant somehow. maybe as tissue culture. so you could do a side by side and see what combination of genetics is better.
but for regular ass pollen chuckers its rolling the dice....

good luck with your project.

Last edited:

DandAbc

I have a little experience with autos. I would go with 3 plants. 2 potential pollen donors can be planted a week or two early. If one doesn't reverse it's not a big deal.

Also with luck both plants would be starting to produce pollen as the last plant comes into flower. Cull the males after minor pollination for minimal seeds or let it ride.