What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Making Bubble with washing machine question?

louie

I am in the process of a bubble run with a washing machine that has been converted to make bubble. In the past I have always made dry sieve with my trim and popcorn, but wanted to step it up so decided to do this. Now I have never made bubble before this. So I ordered bubble bags and have read a bunch of threads and watched a few videos and it was pretty easy to set up. I have the washing machine pumping the hash water into a 44 gal. brute trash can that has a hole cut out of the lid and a 5 gal. bucket sitting inside the lid with the 8 bubble bags hanging inside the 5 gal. bucket. Now when I pump about 3 gal. worth of hash water into the bubble bags it is taking forever to fully drain into the big trash can. I just filled it with about 3 gal and it literally took an hour to fully drain. Is this normal? I checked the the bottom of the last bag in the series and it is just slowly drizzling out. I tried shaking the bucket, but that doesn't help that much either. At this rate it is going to take all day to drain one washing machine load. And tips or advice?

louie

Yeah the trim was inside 2 different zipcro bags (220 um) inside the washing machine. So you think if I use fewer bags that it will drain faster? Will this decrease yield and quality? I'm looking to get a nice yield of nice quality out of this run. What bags would you use?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You might use all your bags but try draining one bag at a time by the jerk method.

louie

Thanks for the help guys. I just filled the bags up with about 3 gals of hash water and then ate some food and came back an hour later and the water barely moved. So i figured the bags must be clogged already and took them out one at a time (like gray wolf suggested) and they weren't really that clogged as compared to pictures and videos I have seen. They maybe had a gram or two worth in each bag (not very much). The 25u and 45u bag did take forever to drain as I lifted them up. So I put them all back in and filled it again with about 3 gals worth of hash water. I guess I'll just have to give it a little time and see what happens. I hope it drains faster.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
One of the reasons you have eight bags is to combine several depending on gland size. The smallest mesh used need only be slightly smaller than the majority of your glands. Once you've recovered the majority of glands, (I've read that 72 and 90 are the money mesh) you can re filter the waste through your smaller mesh. Fewer glands means less time to drain.

tester

Let the water sit for a couple of hours so the solids can settle down to the bottom of the container, then you can pour the excess water off from the top.
Less hash water to work with.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Besides the jerk and gumby settling methods, there is also the seesaw technique. Hold two opposite sides of the filter near the bottom and alternately lift one side or the other.

This cross flow sloshing will keep washing the trichomes off the pores of the filter, allowing liquid to escape.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
So what is the washing machine actually doing in this process? When I first started reading i was assuming you'd be putting the water in the bags and then starting the agitation cycle so that centrifugal force would be taking the place of your hands tugging and pulling on the bags.

But now it seems like you just used a washing machine shell as a way to hold a large bag.

Am i missing something?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The bag of plant material and ice is placed in the washing machine full of ice water. The agitation breaks off the trichomes and the washer drain water is run through the filter bags.

C

cheesey

Yeah the trim was inside 2 different zipcro bags (220 um) inside the washing machine. So you think if I use fewer bags that it will drain faster? Will this decrease yield and quality? I'm looking to get a nice yield of nice quality out of this run. What bags would you use?

what make of bags are they ? when i did my first run with bubble bags the 25 bag took about 4 mins to empty.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
When using the 45u bag, forget about the 25u... I've never seen anything worthwhile come out of the 25, when the 45 is present. This alone will help with the backlog.

I find the bags work much better if separated in multiple containers (pails or garbage cans, depending on bag size)... and run through in series/succession as opposed to a 'stacked' manner- that way when one bag starts to back up, I just give them a little pull and jerk, which 'un-plugs' the pores, and allows the water the flow through to the next bag/bucket.

A couple of cents, fwiw...
-Chimera

louie

I really appreciate all the knowledge guys! I am using bubble bags brand (high quality). So after your suggestions I ran the material again along with the drained water from the first run and used a modified tug and jerk motion where I am sloshing the bucket up and down and it drained A LOT faster. I am not sure if this was due to the fact that there wasn't as much material to be filtered. I did get a decent amount on the second run though, probably not as high quality though, it looks pretty good though. I guess I just need to trial and error a little bit. Thanks again guys! Keep it positive!